Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2331
View in linear mode

Subject: "Went for a quote today." Previous topic | Next topic
DSMkarzDec-04-03 09:14 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
184 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2331, "Went for a quote today."
Dec-04-03 09:15 AM by DSMkarz

I went to the best trans shop around here just now and left bumbed. The lady there said her husband(he owns the place) may not even want to put the shift kit in because the horror stories associated w/ the 604. BUT she said he would deffinatly not have a problem doing the final drive and 3000 stall t.c. change over. Any way he was out picking up parts and will call me in about an hour w/ his answer and a quote. I guess If he woulnt do it My dad and I will. But I dont have the time to rip the thing out for a t.c. swap so some one is going to have to.

TeamLSR member @ landspeedracing.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Went for a quote today., TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-04-03 09:30 AM, #1
RE: Went for a quote today., mcgyvr, Dec-04-03 11:31 AM, #2
      RE: Went for a quote today., DSMkarz, Dec-04-03 12:07 PM, #3
           RE: Went for a quote today., TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-04-03 01:51 PM, #4
                RE: Went for a quote today., mcgyvr, Dec-04-03 02:00 PM, #5
                     RE: Went for a quote today., DSMkarz, Dec-04-03 03:51 PM, #6
                          RE: Went for a quote today., soulcontroller, Dec-04-03 05:15 PM, #7
                               RE: Went for a quote today., Teamdougie2, Dec-04-03 07:02 PM, #8
                                    RE: Went for a quote today., TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-05-03 05:05 AM, #9
                                         RE: Went for a quote today., DSMkarz, Dec-08-03 05:23 PM, #10
                                              RE: Went for a quote today., TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-12-03 12:13 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Went for a quote today., DSMkarz, Dec-12-03 05:33 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Went for a quote today., soulcontroller, Dec-12-03 06:05 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Went for a quote today., DSMkarz, Dec-13-03 03:44 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Went for a quote today., soulcontroller, Dec-13-03 05:16 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: Went for a quote today., TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-14-03 04:16 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Went for a quote today., blcktalipse, Jan-02-04 05:20 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Went for a quote today., SANDMAN, Jan-11-04 06:34 AM, #18

TeamMichael_97RSDec-04-03 09:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2332, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 0

Watch the 3k stall converter if it stalls slightly higher than 3k it will send the trans into limp mode.

We sell them and have had a couple people see this problem.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrDec-04-03 11:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2333, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 1

dougie is runnin a 3500 I thought with no problems at all.

Have you really had a problem with exile or is that just speculation, that rumer was going around for a while but no one ever tried it, and like i said I thought dougie was runnin a 3500

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DSMkarzDec-04-03 12:07 PM
184 posts,
#2334, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 2

I take it you work for ERT? If so then what would you use in stead. I would like to order in a few weeks or so. Thax guy

TeamMichael_97RSDec-04-03 01:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2335, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 3

Yes, I'm at ERT.

Here's some info posted on ASOG a few back:
http://www.asog.net/viewtopic.php?t=54776

Sure he's not running a 2500?

I talk to Steve about it, I don't remember who it was but somebody was going into limp mode from stalling too high.

Post your quote, I'm curious to see the total.

una salus victus

mcgyvrDec-04-03 02:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2336, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 4

yeah I thought the limp mode problem came up from Bill and ryan95i4 they were tinkering with the idea a LONG time ago and the tranny guys/Bill thought it would go into limp mode.

Make sure you have a extra tranny cooler cause you will generate more heat which remember is a killer of the a604

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DSMkarzDec-04-03 03:51 PM
184 posts,
#2339, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 5

I'll give you the quote when I get it. The bastard never called! As for a trans cooler I'm getting the largest Flex-a-lite avalable because I'm going to eventualy geta fluidyne radiator.

Oh I may have to add another thing to the list. Landspeedracing.com just added Phantom lsd's and there are giving "great" deals on them If you pm "Taco" in there forum. I guess that would go for any one including non-team LSR members but you would have to check w/ taco(matt)there.

soulcontrollerDec-04-03 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2340, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 6

yea, dougie was running a 3500, with no problems up until now. see his latest thread.

ryan9514 (?) was having all sorts of limp mode problems with his. im installing my 3000 with my new block and ill keep you guys all updated with how that goes.

as for the shift kit, IMO would be easier than installing a new tq converter. if i can install it, im sure someone who works on a604s for a living wouldnt have a problem.

Teamdougie2Dec-04-03 07:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2342, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah I'm running a 3500 stall. No problems at all and performance is top notch I have a problem right now with my front wheels locking up if the car moves backwards, both with the tranny in reverse and when it's in neutral. I'm not sure what's causing this yet or if it's even a tranny-related issue, but do I know it's not related to my torque converter in any way.

The reason why some 2GNT/Avenger/Seabring A604s go into limp-home mode when the torque converter stall speed is over ~2900, while others do not, is because of differences in the TCM software. There are two major versions of the software used in our TCMs. Most 1995 and 1996 models have the "early" version and 1997 through 1999 models have the "late" version. Updating the computer's software (flash ROM) from the early version to the late version may be possible, but some TCMs refuse to take the update for some reason It's also virtually impossible to find anyone who knows about this shit, let alone have the software/scantool/knowledge to perform the update. The late version of the software code was released in May of 1996 and was calibrated specifically to reduce frequency of limp-home occurrences.

I highly recommend selecting a torque converter stall-speed of 3000 or less if you have a street-car for it drivability, reliability, and performance features. Anything over 3000 would be a custom job anyway and modifying the stock torque converter is a bad idea at that level.

All-in-all, I think the 1997+ A604s perform well and are quite reliable. DSM didn't use a sufficient ATX cooler on any model 2GNT, so get one!

I'll stop typing now... I can't even remember what this thread is about now.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

TeamMichael_97RSDec-05-03 05:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2344, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks Dougie! Good info.

I was curious about software versions. This may explain some previous problems seen.

And for differentials, we are in the final steps of being a retrofit dealer and will be working on getting the conversion to work on the A604 diff. Especially after Hujjat's trans I'm very leary about Phatom Grip and Phantom Grip look alikes.

una salus victus

DSMkarzDec-08-03 05:23 PM
184 posts,
#2354, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 9

O.K. getting pissed the guy still ahsnt got back w/ me and I'm noy calling him. If he doesnt want my money I'll have to take it to a shop in Norwalk thats suppose to be really good. I just dont want to drive a half hour to get work done GRRRR!

And whats the story on phantom grip? Is there some thiong better to use or what? I just cant afford to spend a crap load of money on a LSD. I know you get what you pay for but I just thought it wouldnt perform like a champ. I know from some honda guys around hear that roud race say they are not good for that but if you going straight there fine. More info or opinions would be cool.

TeamMichael_97RSDec-12-03 12:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2375, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 10

Any word back on you quote?

We are very close to being ready to roll with Retrofit, then we will be getting the A604 conversion differential for you guys.

una salus victus

DSMkarzDec-12-03 05:33 PM
184 posts,
#2378, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 11

No I do think I' will call that guy though. Not as mad as I was before. I justhate when they say "we'll give you a call" and sit on there thumbs and do nothing. And Soul how did you get your t.c. for $300 and also how do you like it?

soulcontrollerDec-12-03 06:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2379, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 12

i got my converter through the guys at ERT. its installed, but i havent run the car yet. i put the block in last weekend, started it up finally yesterday and the timing is off. i swear everything was lined up. sometimes those adj. gears are tricky though i guess.

anyway, steve at ERT placed the order for mine the same time they were getting some for themselves. the downtime was a minimum, i recieved the converter in a few days. i wouldnt expect that sort of speed for a new one though, i just caught it at the right time.

i havent kept good contact with him over the past few months but he wanted feedback on how the converter was working.

ill let him know and you know im going to post on 2gnt once its all up and running.

snow in MI means eclipse in storage though

DSMkarzDec-13-03 03:44 PM
184 posts,
#2382, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 13

Well it was just because on the ert site the 3000 stall is $495 & the 2600 stall is $445 so I was wondering if theres some kind of 2gnt member discount I don't know about LOL.

Yeah but I have tuesday off work so I'll find time to call the trans shop and get an answer. I feel like I have no choice but to deal w/ this crap because there the best in town.

soulcontrollerDec-13-03 05:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2383, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 14

hmm, strange. my price may have been lower because the batch they sent out were sort of a test run

im really not sure.

TeamMichael_97RSDec-14-03 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2385, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by soulcontroller
hmm, strange. my price may have been lower because the batch they sent out were sort of a test run im really not sure.

Steve sold it to you at our old cost, he bought it for his car before his trans grenaded and never got to install it.

They have since upped the price significantly and it also an imporved torque converter. They have taken some of ERT/Steve's suggestions and the new ones are even stronger/better and take more work to build. We couldn't even get a converter at close to that price anymore.

una salus victus

blcktalipseJan-02-04 05:20 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2003
1067 posts,
#2455, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 16

i called around here in muskegon, mi and a few ppl laughed in my face and said no i got a quote 250-300 and another for 125 and there installing mine as well as a full tranny check up (tranny fluid looks a lil burnt up) and fixing what i brok

SANDMANJan-11-04 06:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
132 posts,
#2472, "RE: Went for a quote today."
In response to Reply # 17

The first run we had was cheap because the guy we ordered them through didn't know it was a lockup converter. Once they found out what he was doing they hired a FWD guru and we began our work with him testing their newest converter. Exile Racing has sold so many of these converters and given so much feedback, they have started building a stockpile of cores and turn around times are less than a week in most cases.

These are not COOKIE CUTTER CONVERTERS like you see on 90% of the net, These are custom built per YOUR specs and your plans in the future. Call any real manufacturer and ask for that and you'll choke when they tell you 600+. Our manufacturer has already told us the retail price is 550 for the street 2600 and 610 for the Track 3000hd. We still sell them at prices below most manufacturers charge for a MODIFIED STOCK CONVERTER (Level Ten, Pro Torque) even with the 2600 stall you are getting a custom unit that is using 100% of it's potential. Not an off the shelf power hog built for someone else a year ago.

Exile Racing Technologies, Inc.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2331 Previous topic | Next topic