Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Only have second gear?!?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
discount_tyr420aNov-19-03 01:16 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2002
237 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2264, "Only have second gear?!?!?"

just cruisin along and it justed dropped into second and didnt come back to anything else. i've read that you guys have had teh problem b4 on a couple posts and said it was the input sensor. it does come back for a lil while tho when i stop the car and turn it back on. after a few min tho it just only has second again....any sugestions? or did you try the sensor replacement and have it work?

1995 RS AT w/196,000 mile
KYB AGX w/Eibach Sportline($485.0 )
10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan
225/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport
Toucan Muffler w/2.5" catback
OBX Header w/ hollowed kitty
Port/Polished Head w/ SS Valves

to come...
lambo doors possibly

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, Franklindsm, Nov-19-03 03:09 AM, #1
RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, discount_tyr420a, Nov-19-03 07:13 AM, #2
      RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, Franklindsm, Nov-19-03 09:17 AM, #3
           RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, mcgyvr, Nov-19-03 10:09 AM, #4
                RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, discount_tyr420a, Nov-19-03 12:46 PM, #5
                     RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, mcgyvr, Nov-20-03 12:17 AM, #6
                          RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, discount_tyr420a, Nov-20-03 03:26 AM, #7
                               RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, Franklindsm, Nov-20-03 04:40 AM, #8
                                    RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, python6586, Nov-20-03 04:19 PM, #9
                                         RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, discount_tyr420a, Nov-22-03 08:48 AM, #10
                                              RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, mcgyvr, Nov-22-03 09:17 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, soulcontroller, Nov-22-03 01:22 PM, #12
RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, havicks99, Nov-25-03 02:04 PM, #13
RE: Only have second gear?!?!?, mcgyvr, Nov-26-03 02:33 PM, #14

FranklindsmNov-19-03 03:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2265, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

The car going into 2nd isnt your problem. It is just in what you call safe mode or limp home mode.

This can be a good thing or a bad thing. When it goes into safe mode it can hinder further damage. But, it doesnt allow you to "feel" for the problem.

There are scanners that can pin point your problem, of you can go replacing sensors. The IP OP would be my first choice. If that doesnt help drop the pan and check out your magnet.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

discount_tyr420aNov-19-03 07:13 AM
237 posts,
#2268, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 1

thats cool...would changing the tranny fluid and filter help me at all, cuz i'll prolly just do that while im at it too. oh...and how hard are those sensors to change?

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

FranklindsmNov-19-03 09:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#2269, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Like replacing spark plugs essentially.

Changing the fluid out wont necassarily fix anything because the computer has gone into safe mode. Have to reset the computer to do that. txchange.com has those sensors really cheap for our tranny. check em out.

It'd be a good idea to drop the pan though to see what's going on inside.

joe

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

mcgyvrNov-19-03 10:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2270, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 3

Limp to autozone and have the codes pulled, then replace the part that it says is bad.

Thats why we have a check engine light and obd2 diagnostics so you dont have to just start changing stuff.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

discount_tyr420aNov-19-03 12:46 PM
237 posts,
#2271, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 4

the only prob with the CEL is that i dont have one on, or never did. but the car has 186k on it so im thik that sensors can go bad after that much

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

mcgyvrNov-20-03 12:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2276, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 5

just because the cel isnt on doesnt mean there isnt a code stored for the problem.
is your speedo working?

Mods are:
Not enough

discount_tyr420aNov-20-03 03:26 AM
237 posts,
#2277, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah....my speedo is workin just fine. and where is the sensor located exactly. cuz i want to see whats up woith it before i start rippin sh** apart

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

FranklindsmNov-20-03 04:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#2278, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 7

They're in the front of the trans. Ones on the inner and one on the outer.

download the F4AC1/A604 overhaul and you'll see em.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

python6586Nov-20-03 04:19 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#2281, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 8

he wouldnt be able to go to autozone to get his codes pulled cuz he is a 95, thats not obdII

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

discount_tyr420aNov-22-03 08:48 AM
237 posts,
#2289, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 9

actually they can pull obdII off my car....xtremeRS dores is with mine all the time, but im gonna try the sensors first, i was readin another post tho....and he had a good question, what makes those sensors go out? cuz mine just cut out when i made it shift down so i could pass someone.

10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan

to come...
lambo doors possibly

mcgyvrNov-22-03 09:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2290, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 10

sometimes the head of the sensor just wears out and gets chopped up in the trans.
its just like any other sensor though, time/heat/weather/friction all cause a sensor to go

and yes you can pull the codes from a 95
and actually the keydance works on my car which is a 98 (made in 98)
it only works on avengers/sebrings though, not sure why mitsu disabled it or whatever for the eclipses

Mods are:
Not enough

soulcontrollerNov-22-03 01:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2291, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 11

hmm, my 98 wont keydance, and i cant read codes with a pocketlogger.

mike at PL needs the a/t wiring schematics to figure out cel code readings through the software.

/end hijack

havicks99Nov-25-03 02:04 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2003
12 posts,
#2315, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

i had that problem on my 99 "2gnt" gs. Automatic. I took it into the mits dealership and it ended up being the throttle sensor. Does your Speedometer not work also? i had that problem on top of it all also. You may want to check that sensor. Ive heard its pretty hard to get to so you may want to just have it checked by the dealerships. Cost me about 200 bucks. (maybe a little less.)

99 gs
arospeed exhaust
more mods to come!!!!

mcgyvrNov-26-03 02:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2322, "RE: Only have second gear?!?!?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by havicks99
i had that problem on my 99 "2gnt" gs. Automatic. I took it into the mits dealership and it ended up being the throttle sensor. Does your Speedometer not work also? i had that problem on top of it all also. You may want to check that sensor. Ive heard its pretty hard to get to so you may want to just have it checked by the dealerships. Cost me about 200 bucks. (maybe a little less.) 99 gs arospeed exhaust more mods to come!!!!

when your speedo stops working and the car goes into limp mode its the output speed sensor, cost about 35 bucks time to install is about 5 minutes. TPS can cause limp mode and is usually associated with hard shifting and bucking in limp mode. cause the ECU has no idea of throttle position and goes off the map sensor

Mods are:
Not enough

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2264 Previous topic | Next topic