Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2242
View in linear mode

Subject: "what determines shift pressure?" Previous topic | Next topic
ajna_starNov-16-03 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2242, "what determines shift pressure?"

someone had told me it wasnt electronically controlled.... but sometimes it shifts easy... and if im getting on it really hard it shifts so hard the whole car jerks...

?

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what determines shift pressure?, mcgyvr, Nov-17-03 06:58 AM, #1
RE: what determines shift pressure?, Keith2172, Jan-20-04 08:55 AM, #2
RE: what determines shift pressure?, ajna_star, Jan-20-04 07:56 PM, #3
      RE: what determines shift pressure?, Keith2172, Jan-20-04 08:12 PM, #4
           RE: what determines shift pressure?, mcgyvr, Jan-21-04 12:34 PM, #5
                RE: what determines shift pressure?, Vigo, Jan-26-04 11:44 AM, #6
                     RE: what determines shift pressure?, ajna_star, Jan-26-04 05:12 PM, #7
                          RE: what determines shift pressure?, mcgyvr, Jan-27-04 12:03 PM, #8
                               RE: what determines shift pressure?, Brent Pottle, Jan-30-04 11:44 AM, #9

mcgyvrNov-17-03 06:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2252, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 0

its controlled both electronically in the TCM and through the valve body. both

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Keith2172Jan-20-04 08:55 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#2491, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 0

Line pressure is determined by the TCM according to what gear you are in and by the manual valve bodies in the transmission, however, there is no real feasible way to trick the computer into uping the line pressure because it doesn't have a sensor to state what the line pressure is, only that pressure is there. Otherwise the electronic valves are open\shut type where its either full open or full close and it regulates pressure by preset pulses in the TCM, nothing you can change without going into code. Ummm... what else? The only reason I know this is cause I spent a week at the coffee shop scouring the dealer manual looking for a way to up the line pressure. Needless to say I couldn't find a way. Anywho, I hope this helped.

ajna_starJan-20-04 07:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#2494, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 2

level 10's auto stick box lets you change shift pressure

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Keith2172Jan-20-04 08:12 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#2495, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 3

Really? auto 10's, whats that, Ive never heard of it. Im just getting started in the import scene so you have to treat me like a dummy, Ill take any and all advice people send my way. Anywho, if you could put up a post or somethin to point me in the direction of this box Id appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

mcgyvrJan-21-04 12:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2502, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 4

level 10 just put that on their site but it isnt a product until they get a test TCM and try to make that box, thats just results/stuff they can do with similar trannies I betcha
But you can up the line pressure with the shift kit and aluminum accumulator piston. drill all the holes out to the max with the shift kit. and I think you can up it electronically too by modifying the solenoid signals. but as of now the shift kit works to up pressure

Mods are:
Not enough

VigoJan-26-04 11:44 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#2520, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 5

as far as i can tell, all that is is they took a pinout of the tcm and how it shifts the tranny, and programmed it into a simple microprocessor with a few buttons to let you have total manual control of the tranny. anybody who knew how could do it, the info is readily available, but i think i heard it was 400 bucks?? yikes. id rather just have autostick.

anyway, this is only conjecture, but the tcm determines how hard you are pressing on the gas, and thus (somewhat) shift firmness, from the tps signal. now i think ive heard that there isnt an upper limit on what the pcm will recognize from the tps. iirc, the tps is on a 5 volt reference but never gets much higher than 4.2v or so. you may be able to rig some thing up so that the tps signal line connects with the reference line at WOT and thus you get 5 v and presumably firmer shifts. you may be able to hook it up to the torque reduction line from the pcm as that only works when you are shifting, so it would be convenient and automatic, but frankly i just put this crackpot theory together in my head just now so i may be totally off on all of it. lol

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

ajna_starJan-26-04 05:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#2521, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 6

their box lets you upshift downshift, controll shift pressure, and controll torque converter lockup... ie: lockup on downshift... and disable on rev up

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

mcgyvrJan-27-04 12:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#2522, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 7

vigo there IS a limit on TPS signal voltage and its about 4.2-4.5V people doing that TPS mod have found that out, getting a CEL after for bad TPS from the voltage going over the limit.

oh and everyone chip in some money and Ill buy the level 10 unit and test it out for everyone

Mods are:
Not enough

Brent PottleJan-30-04 11:44 AM
Member since Apr 09th 2003
95 posts,
#2533, "RE: what determines shift pressure?"
In response to Reply # 8

This "Level 10 box" where exactly does it plug into?

Nova Scotia
Canada

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2242 Previous topic | Next topic