Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2139
View in linear mode

Subject: "someone who knows alot about our trannies" Previous topic | Next topic
ajna_starOct-24-03 07:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2139, "someone who knows alot about our trannies"

AIM me... sab33r

i wanna talk pins, software, & controlling shift pressure & gear engagement

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mcgyvrOct-24-03 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2143, "RE: someone who knows alot about our trannies"
In response to Reply # 0

what do you want to know I dont have AIM

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ajna_starOct-25-03 04:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#2144, "RE: someone who knows alot about our trannies"
In response to Reply # 1

everything. what pins control gear selection. how shift pressure is controlled. and how I can controll them.

maybe even how the software determines how to adjust shift pressure...

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Teamdougie2Oct-25-03 04:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2146, "RE: someone who knows alot about our trannies"
In response to Reply # 2
Oct-25-03 04:58 PM by dougie2

>>what pins control gear selection.

First of all, pins don't control gear selection... you do! There are not individual pins on the TCM that directly indicate gear selection. This is part of the Transmission Range Sensor's function. There are, however, 4 switches in the TRS that the TCM uses as input (pins 1, 3, 41, 42) to determine which gear you have selected. Each gear selection will either OPEN or CLOSE each of the 4 swtiches. (PARK = close, close, close, open) (NETRAL = close, close, open, close)

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you are trying to figure out a way to manipulate the state of these switches to control gear engagement or shift scheduling, it doesn't work that way. The TCM flash software is responsible for these functions.

Shift scheduling and gear functions are controlled by the TCM software and uses engine sensors, tranny sensors, autostick (if equipped) switches, and constant values in the software code that cannot individually be flashed. The entire software would have to be modified, compiled, and flashed to the TCM.

>>how shift pressure is controlled.

This is the valve body's job. The Transgo shift kit will increase fluid pressure and flow. This reduces gear overlap and shift duration. Performance is increased, wear and shift comfort is decreased. This is a great mod!

>>and how I can controll them.

You'd need a manual valve body. This is not available for the A604.

>>maybe even how the software determines how to adjust shift >>pressure...

It doesn't at all.

EXTRA INFO-
The A604 is Mopar's first electronically-controlled ATX. This is why is has had many electrical and mechanical failures. It has been updated extensively and 2GNTs have a very reliable version of it. Our 1995 and earlier A604 TCM software is the cause of limp-mode and most reliabiliy issues generated by this tranny. The 1997+ versions are virtually bulletproof. Our tranny cooler is too small, we need one twice the size (15,000-20,000+ GVW). ONLY use Mopar 7176 spec ATF+3 fluid in the tranny. A new solenoid set is available from 1999, the old ones were easily clogged.

I have been studying our A604 TCM in-depth trying to find ways to modify it's software-controlled actions. I'm making progress and have found a way to modify gear shift scheduling and shift points. I'll give you give all the info about it when my testing is complete. It IS possible to increase the red-line shift point though. I'll be testing autostick compatibility with our TCM as well, although I believe a TCM swap will be neccessary. Note that autostick alone will not increase our redline shift point of 6500 and will possibly cause power and reliability issues.

What else would you like to know about the ATX and it's TCM?

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

ajna_starOct-25-03 07:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#2147, "RE: someone who knows alot about our trannies"
In response to Reply # 3

on level10's site, their 'shiftronic' unit say it can control shift pressure...

links directly with your transmission computer harness to provide manual control of up and downshifts, shift pressure and converter lockup.

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/items/electronics/import_shiftronic.htm

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Teamdougie2Oct-26-03 05:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2148, "RE: someone who knows alot about our trannies"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-26-03 05:59 AM by dougie2

Yeah... the way Level-10 advertises their products is very clever. Basically, they say their products will work with all these different types of vehicles. In reality, they have never even studied the schematics of many of the cars they say it supports. They find a solution when you're ready to purchase. Most of the time, you send it your stock components and they open it up, check it out, and make corrections where they can. Then you'll get word from them about what they can/can't change. I've been through all this with Level-10 in the past. Believe me, if it was available I would have it installed already! Level-10 also told me a 3000 stall torque converter was the highest I could use. WRONG... I've been running a 3500 stall for a long time now with no problem. Don't listen to what Level-10 tells you. They will reply "Yes, we can do that" or "Yes, it's available for your application" to every inquiry they get. They do have Torque converters, Rebuilt HP trannies, and re-programmed valve bodies available for us though.

When it comes down to it, many electronically-controlled ATXs have the ability to accept these modifications with simple tweaking of TCM input values. The A604, however, is not so simple. It is the very first electronically-controlled ATX that Mopar ever produced, which is why the configuration of the inputs and software are not easily modified.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2139 Previous topic | Next topic