Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2082
View in linear mode

Subject: "Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive" Previous topic | Next topic
Danny95ESIOct-13-03 05:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2082, "Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"

Well after months waiting to install the final drive mod, I finally had a free weekend- then i got stuck on the 32MM bolt on the lower gear.

I couldn't get the f@cking thing off!! My impact wrench was completely useless. So i started to kick the shit out of it (much like Soulcontroller's thread about his ordeal)

I even wedged myself between the garage wall and my wrench and pushed it that way. I know I can leg press 540 lbs. at the gym pretty easily and the focker still did not budge. It seemed like I was going to break the tranny beofre that bolt came off. I must've spent an hour kicking and pushing.

So, defeated and with bruises on my back from pushing so damn hard, I had to put her back together. Everything else seemed easy enuff till I got to that bolt.

Should I go back in there next weekend? Suggestions?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-13-03 06:16 AM, #1
RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, Danny95ESI, Oct-13-03 06:25 AM, #2
      RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, thedawg, Oct-13-03 08:37 AM, #3
      RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, Danny95ESI, Oct-13-03 09:50 AM, #4
           RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, soulcontroller, Oct-13-03 10:27 AM, #5
                RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, DSMkarz, Oct-13-03 03:56 PM, #6
                     RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, ghostshellx, Oct-13-03 07:36 PM, #7
                          RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, Danny95ESI, Oct-14-03 05:38 AM, #8
      RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-14-03 06:36 AM, #9
           RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, Danny95ESI, Oct-14-03 06:50 AM, #10
                RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, thedawg, Oct-14-03 08:25 AM, #11
                RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-14-03 09:03 AM, #12
                     RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, Danny95ESI, Oct-14-03 09:44 AM, #13
                          RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive, amljbs, Oct-14-03 04:24 PM, #14

ModeratorCorbinOct-13-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2083, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 0

I used an extension to get the breaker bar away from the body. I propped the extension on a jack stand, put a 3 foot piece of pipe on the breaker bar, and stood on the end. It popped loose when I had nearly all my weight on the end of the pipe. Thats only about 465 ft-lbs of torque. It sounds like you were putting alot more torque on it than that...so who knows.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Danny95ESIOct-13-03 06:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#2084, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 1

hmmm....more leverage? I'm trying to picture your set up...do you possible have JPGS (like you normally do of everything )? How high do you have your car jacked up off the ground?

Thanks Corbin

thedawgOct-13-03 08:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#2085, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 2

Liquid wrench for an hour, and a bigger impact wrench.

I assume you bent those locking tabs all the way down?

Danny95ESIOct-13-03 09:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#2087, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 3

hey Dawg- it's wasn't the bolts that had the tabs...that's on the gear with the 1 1/2 inch bolt.

i figured my impact wrench was ghey...I'm going to try what Corbin did but I can't picture how he had everything set up.

soulcontrollerOct-13-03 10:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#2088, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 4

yea, im really suprised something didnt break when i went kung fu on those bolts. persistence is key!

DSMkarzOct-13-03 03:56 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
184 posts,
#2089, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 5

Damn if it's that rough would a dealer do it? I talked to a shop in my area to day that "don't mess with no mitsubishi tranny's" even though it's a chrysler.

TeamLSR member @ landspeedracing.com

ghostshellxOct-13-03 07:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
576 posts,
#2093, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 6

all i have to say is 250 psi on my impact and 2 minutes later it was out, but that tranny only lasted 2000 mi. due to me over tighting the bolts

The 2GNT is Gone... and the curse too!!

Danny95ESIOct-14-03 05:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#2094, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 7

Overtightening the bolts?! My stock bolt probably has over 400+ lbs. of torque on it right now. I was thinking if I ever got it off, I wouldn't even worry about over torquing.

So do you still have the final drive mod on your new tranny?

ModeratorCorbinOct-14-03 06:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2095, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 2

How's this:

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Danny95ESIOct-14-03 06:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#2096, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 9

damn! Corbin comes through again.

I can see how that would be a lot easier then what I was doing.

One more question- how long was the extension you used and did your brake caliper/rotor get in the way?

Thanks again for helping me out.

Danny95esi= monkey from 2001 Space Odyssey

thedawgOct-14-03 08:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#2099, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 10

Turn the wheel all the way to one side if the rotor is in the way.

250psi on an air tool!? Doesn't that... like... break them? I thought all air tools were rated at 90 or 150psi max.

ModeratorCorbinOct-14-03 09:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#2100, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Danny95ESI
One more question- how long was the extension you used and did your brake caliper/rotor get in the way?

I think the extension was like 1/2" X 12". It was a big one. Whatever it took to get the breaker bar away from the body. I don't recall having a problem with the brakes. I may have raised the passenger side of the car to unload the sway bar (letting both wheels drop all the way down). I don't remember too many details as this was a year ago.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Danny95ESIOct-14-03 09:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#2101, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 12

I just wanted to know if I had to remove my caliper or not- when I had my wheel turned all the way from my 1st attempt, it didn't look like much room.

sweet...I guess I need to add a longer extension to my pile of tools.

thanks guys

amljbsOct-14-03 04:24 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#2103, "RE: Totally Owned- 32mm Bolt and final drive"
In response to Reply # 13

Well bro if I could Send my wifes Uncle to you I would . That man kicked mine like twice and the damn thing broke loose no problems with just a breaker bar.

1998 Eclipse GST

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2082 Previous topic | Next topic