Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1738
View in linear mode

Subject: "how hard do you drive your A604?" Previous topic | Next topic
DvSEclipseAug-09-03 11:26 AM
Member since Aug 15th 2002
46 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1738, "how hard do you drive your A604?"

i've been realizing that I drive my car pretty hard sometimes, its seen 6K rpms more than a couple times a week, I take off O/D from a stop and switch it back on when i'm above 55-60 mph. *is that safe?* how do you guys drive your a604?

97 RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, soulcontroller, Aug-09-03 01:18 PM, #1
RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Teamdougie2, Aug-09-03 01:36 PM, #2
      RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Joe B Slow, Aug-09-03 02:16 PM, #3
           RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, InFiNiT3, Aug-09-03 03:00 PM, #4
                RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, python6586, Aug-09-03 05:40 PM, #5
                     RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Joe B Slow, Aug-09-03 05:46 PM, #6
                          RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, ajna_star, Aug-09-03 06:10 PM, #7
                               RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, K-MaK22, Aug-09-03 07:39 PM, #8
                                    RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Joe B Slow, Aug-09-03 07:51 PM, #9
                                         RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, python6586, Aug-10-03 05:58 AM, #10
                                              RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, K-MaK22, Aug-12-03 07:24 PM, #11
                                                   RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Joe B Slow, Aug-13-03 05:04 AM, #12
                                                   RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, DvSEclipse, Aug-15-03 05:31 PM, #13
                                                        RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Jproduktion, Aug-15-03 10:05 PM, #14
                                                             RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Joe B Slow, Aug-16-03 06:28 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, K-MaK22, Aug-16-03 11:01 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Jason_99ozGS, Aug-16-03 01:11 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, InFiNiT3, Aug-20-03 11:10 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Dark Ringleader, Aug-21-03 07:24 AM, #19
                                                                                      RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, InFiNiT3, Aug-21-03 10:23 AM, #20
                                                                                           RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, ThE oRACLe, Aug-26-03 09:47 AM, #21
                                                   RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, LordDV8R, Sep-08-03 02:52 AM, #22
                                                        RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, chrisw21_2000, Sep-23-03 04:28 PM, #23
                                                             RE: how hard do you drive your A604?, Franklindsm, Sep-23-03 04:38 PM, #24

soulcontrollerAug-09-03 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1739, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 0

i redline all the time.

lately ive been slightly downshifting using my o/d and "2". i never use L.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Aug-09-03 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#1740, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 1

I run it HARD... all the time! I also manually use every gear including O/D. My tranny loves the action.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Joe B SlowAug-09-03 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1741, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ya know...i got to thinking the other day. I was reading a write up on the valve body of our tranny. It mentioned that other than each "valve" for each "gear", there is a manual valve. The manual valve is for going from like P to R to D to etc. So im thinking now that it doesnt hurt the tranny to downshift/upshift. BUT...going from 4th to 3rd at an insane speed WILL hurt the engine. Like being at a comftarble rev and then downshifting and nearly redlining might not be a cool idea.

But yea I drive my car hard. Got a tranny cooler and now a tranny cooler water spraye . So i hope that helps.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

InFiNiT3Aug-09-03 03:00 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#1742, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 3

i drive it hard

M50 I6 DOHC,dinan CAI , Remus Cat back , Volt. regulator, AA stg II software, Centerforce stg 2 clutch w/ alum dual mass flywheel,Stang 27lb inj.,Rouge chasis kit, Mayle balljoints, M3 X brace, 3.35 diff.Bavauto springs w/ tokito struts/shocks.

1997 GS- RIP
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

python6586Aug-09-03 05:40 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#1743, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 4

i drive it very hard, i manually shift all teh time but you gotta watch with doin that the needle on the temp guage almost flys off the gauge, just today shifting around the temp went up 50* backed off for a while it went back down had a lil scare ther for a minute

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

Joe B SlowAug-09-03 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1744, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 5

Only reason it does that is because of the speed of the fluid inside the tranny increasing causing lots of fluid friction, i imagine.

You'll see that the temp jumps back down once it slows down and cools things down again.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ajna_starAug-09-03 06:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#1745, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 6

6k a cople times a week LOL

i see 6k a couple times a DAY

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

K-MaK22Aug-09-03 07:39 PM
Member since Jul 09th 2003
63 posts,
#1747, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 7

>6k a cople times a week LOL
>
>
>i see 6k a couple times a DAY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly lol, and why do you guys manually shift, from what i see on this board it makes no difference then leaving it in drive.

RIP 97 GS

1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo - STOCK

Joe B SlowAug-09-03 07:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1748, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 8

<why do you guys manually shift, from what i see on this board it makes no difference then leaving it in drive.>

Leave your car in "2" one day and watch what happens. 2nd gear is the strongest/longest gear we have. Tach it up in 2nd to about 3800 and slam the gas. Watch what happens. Slam the gas in 4th and you drop into 2nd gear and its over in about 1 second. Leaving the gear in 2nd lets you stay in second longer cause you have more control.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

python6586Aug-10-03 05:58 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#1749, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 9

the only reason i shift is cuz i wanted a manual didnt get one so i use this as one its more fun. especially when driven through town u gotta get those rpms up.

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

K-MaK22Aug-12-03 07:24 PM
63 posts,
#1754, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 10

isnt it really bad for the tranny to drive your car above like 40-50 in "2nd"? And your talking about leaving it in "2nd" gear the whole time from start to finish? not shifting it up to drive at all? Also i was driving around yesterday and i saw this mid 90s galant swirving through traffic. Well the light turns red and i pull up next to them. Its two chicks and they are looking over at me like they want to race so i decided i wanted to try and manually shift. light turns green i start in "Low" and when the car goes to shift i go up to "2nd" then i put it in drive when 3rd gear hits. I stayed 1-2 car lengths ahead the whole time. I noticed a difference when starting in low, it kind of seemed like the RPMs went up a lot quicker so i might use that now. Thats kind of a war story but oh well Peace.

RIP 97 GS

Joe B SlowAug-13-03 05:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1755, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 11

If you leave the gear selector in "2" it will automatically go to 3rd at redline. And yea its not good to run around with 2nd in 40-50 range, but with above said, you prolly wont get to 50 before 3rd. PROBABLY = keyword

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DvSEclipseAug-15-03 05:31 PM
Member since Aug 15th 2002
46 posts,
#1766, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 12

all I can say is we have some pretty long gears and driving with o/d on is slow...feels better driving with it off.

97 RS

JproduktionAug-15-03 10:05 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2003
490 posts,
#1767, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 13

alrite, dont usually posts here, but here i go..Im an auto also, well, from my experience in L gear, putting it in that gear makes my car sounds like a fucking jet airplane shutting down, its makes that haaauummmmmmmmmmmmmmm noise after u floor it, or even wen ure slamming it, only its high pitched...Well, that sound scares me so i dont even bother putting it on that gear..Anyone else experience this? or is it suppose to be like that?...

As for racing, i just put it in second take o/d off of course, power break alittle, and then just slam it from the line...works everytime...and with my new exhaust, i cant wait to try it...Is there some way that we can get our starts as fast as the manual trannys do? I know there is, no one just found out yet...or maybe they have....let me know guys...

Andre

Injen SRI
3G RIMS
Custom Red Calipers
ATX driver
M0re to come~

Joe B SlowAug-16-03 06:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1768, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 14

You can start by not power braking first of all. That is no way to launch and automatic. There is a thread a few pages back on how different techniques to launching a AT. Go read it.

As for that noise you're hearing, it is most likely just your engine sucking in so much air, i spose.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

K-MaK22Aug-16-03 11:01 AM
63 posts,
#1770, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 15

yeah that noise happens when after you go above like 30 in 2nd or low it feels like what happens when the TQ locks up when your cruising around at 80 and it wont downshift.

RIP 97 GS

Jason_99ozGSAug-16-03 01:11 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1286 posts,
#1772, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 16

The haaauummmmmmmmmmmmmmm sound you hear when you leave it in 1st/L gear is the engine/tranny whinny since they are at a high RPM. Crusing around at 25Mph in L will make the annoying hhhaaaaauummmm sound. Shift into 2nd or to Drive and it won't happen.

You can also downshift but putting it into L which will slow the car down, but it will make the hhaaaaaauummmm sound since the engine is slowing the car down.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS -Sold, I miss it

InFiNiT3Aug-20-03 11:10 PM
732 posts,
#1786, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 17

ok guys... ive got a mod to fix that problem!!!!

go down to radioshack.home depot/do it best... or any hardware store and buy some black elctrical tape to cover up the "L"..

There all better now down go there again!

jake

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor

Dark RingleaderAug-21-03 07:24 AM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
#1788, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 18

>ok guys... ive got a mod to fix that problem!!!!
>
>go down to radioshack.home depot/do it best... or any hardware
>store and buy some black elctrical tape to cover up the "L"..
>
>There all better now down go there again!
>
>
>
>jake

brilliant as always

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

InFiNiT3Aug-21-03 10:23 AM
732 posts,
#1789, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 19

thank you thank you

jake

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor

ThE oRACLeAug-26-03 09:47 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#1809, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 20

i only use L when im aggravated in traffic lol

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

LordDV8RSep-08-03 02:52 AM
Member since Sep 06th 2003
13 posts,
#1888, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 11

Ya im suprised you beat the Galant, must have been the womans fault for thinking she could drive.

1997 Mitsibishi Galant

chrisw21_2000Sep-23-03 04:28 PM
Member since Jun 18th 2003
16 posts,
#1970, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 22

It is fine to manually shift the trans up through the gears. It hurts it to downshift is because of the disc in the trans is made to have frictio applied in one direction. Thus tearing the lining off the disc. So give it heck through the gears but take it easy going down.

Laterz

FranklindsmSep-23-03 04:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#1971, "RE: how hard do you drive your A604?"
In response to Reply # 23

Id have to disagree, i imagine going up and going down would be the same, as far as the electronics are concerned. Because our transmissions are fully electroncally controlled, that is each gear is applied to the next by electronic control. When you downshift, as you know it isnt immediate. There's a lag in downshift because im sure the tcm is compensating for the time you are diong it and applying the clutches appropriately.

Someone earlier said downshifting caused their temp gauge to spike for tranny fluid. well du . Go slam the gas and downshift and watch the gauge rise, the same thing will happen.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1738 Previous topic | Next topic