Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1599
View in linear mode

Subject: "how bad does final drive effect top end?" Previous topic | Next topic
ajna_starJul-20-03 09:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1599, "how bad does final drive effect top end?"

what mph does your power start to fall?

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, mcgyvr, Jul-21-03 02:03 AM, #1
RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, ThE oRACLe, Jul-21-03 10:02 AM, #2
      RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, amljbs, Jul-21-03 12:35 PM, #3
           RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, mcgyvr, Jul-21-03 02:43 PM, #4
                RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, DSMkarz, Jul-21-03 05:44 PM, #5
                     RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, amljbs, Jul-23-03 08:28 AM, #6
                          RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, Dirty, Jul-23-03 12:12 PM, #7
                               RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, ThE oRACLe, Jul-24-03 05:13 AM, #8
                                    RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?, shuwa29, Jul-24-03 08:20 AM, #9

mcgyvrJul-21-03 02:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1600, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 0

dont really know I was at 105 yesterday with no problems with power loss at all

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ThE oRACLeJul-21-03 10:02 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#1614, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 1

shorter top end thats all .... your gears are now shorter ..so this means u will accelerate much more quickly ... but you will top out at 110-115 im guessing

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

amljbsJul-21-03 12:35 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#1618, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 2

What it will do is shorten the gears but what you have to understand is that the tranny is set to handle speeds of like 155 to 160. So when we shorten them it takes away from the max speed. I have most of the tranny mods and I can hit 135mph. Your just taking away from your maximum speed. I actually felt more power when I was on the interstate.

1998 Eclipse GST

mcgyvrJul-21-03 02:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#1625, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 3

you probably cannot hit 135 in your auto with the final mod, your basically gear limited and drag limited around that area, unless you turbo and have the HP to get it movin

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DSMkarzJul-21-03 05:44 PM
184 posts,
#1635, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 4

this may have been asked some were else but does it throw off the speedO and if so can we swap in the speed censor too?

TeamLSR member @ landspeedracing.com

amljbsJul-23-03 08:28 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#1650, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 5

Well I have hit 135mph before in the car now whether or not the car was acutally going that fast is another question. Dirty I believe has hit 140mph with the same mods on the tranny that I have.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyJul-23-03 12:12 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#1657, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 6

The speeds that the final drive gears will have an effect on, you will never see anyway, so there is no need to be concerned about that. This topic goes way back and the fact still remains.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

ThE oRACLeJul-24-03 05:13 AM
1135 posts,
#1677, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 7

larger tires affect the speedo ..... like me i came with 14" and now am running 17" which i think does throw things off especially at high end ...

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

shuwa29Jul-24-03 08:20 AM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#1680, "RE: how bad does final drive effect top end?"
In response to Reply # 8

if you got the write series tires, you would off by .3%. if you got the wrong series, you'll be off like 5%.
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1599 Previous topic | Next topic