Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1407
View in linear mode

Subject: "anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSJul-02-03 12:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1407, "anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"

Did you get noticeable gains from the lock-up kill switch? I can do this without the tranny cooler, but I want her to run strong. So, I am going to get a fluidyne or B&M cooler and do the kill switch. Is it really worth doing?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, amljbs, Jul-02-03 01:32 PM, #1
RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, mcgyvr, Jul-02-03 03:31 PM, #2
      RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-02-03 04:32 PM, #3
           RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, Joe B Slow, Jul-02-03 05:15 PM, #4
                RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, amljbs, Jul-02-03 05:41 PM, #5
                     RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, mcgyvr, Jul-03-03 03:39 AM, #6
                          RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-03-03 10:36 AM, #7
                               RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, Joe B Slow, Jul-03-03 12:59 PM, #8
                               RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, Dirty, Jul-03-03 01:44 PM, #9
                                    RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-03-03 04:47 PM, #10
                                         RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, Joe B Slow, Jul-04-03 07:21 AM, #11
                                              RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-16-03 11:22 PM, #12

amljbsJul-02-03 01:32 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1410, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah it works very well with interstate travel.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrJul-02-03 03:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#1416, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 1

>Yeah it works very well with interstate travel.

thats where alot of heat is generated, its really for racing only I wouldnt drive around with it unlocked for any long period of time at all. and your gas milage will suffer

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

9D9 MITSU RSJul-02-03 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1417, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, I just want it so I can run the car on the track or haul ass. Not gonna flip the switch for a sustained period of time. So, it's kewl? How bout the install? Pretty painless? The kill switch doesn't look hard at all. How bout the cooler tho?

Joe B SlowJul-02-03 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1419, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 3

How can you run the kill switch without a cooler? You need the cooler, period. ESPECIALLY racing. Running your engine full throttle then letting it off. Doesnt give it time to cool. You need that cooler to help give it a boost. Most definitely with the heat generated by the kill switch causing your TC to unlock and just spin til who knows when.

Do the coole it isnt that hard to do. And its worth it.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

amljbsJul-02-03 05:41 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#1420, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 4

Guess I phrased that wrong. I dont run it everytime that I am on the interstate just trying to explain that its meant for help at high speed. It gets rid of that nasty little dip in RPMs when you go to about 80 at WOT. Yeah you definately need the cooler for this one.

1998 Eclipse GST

mcgyvrJul-03-03 03:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#1423, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 5

a cooler must be the first mod any auto tranny eclipse does, it will save your ass.

cooler is easy hardest part is finding somewhere good to mount it, and def make sure you dont kink any of the cooler lines or youll blow that tranny in no time

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

9D9 MITSU RSJul-03-03 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1424, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 6

can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you ziptie it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.

Joe B SlowJul-03-03 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1425, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 7

When you buy a kit it comes with instructions. Basically it is like zipties. From what I can tell its a little black square with the "receiving" end of a ziptie. You put that on one side and stick the "tie" part through the cooler into that black square. Depending on which kit you buy there should be instructions. just follow those.

and yes DO NOT kink your lines or the cooler will be useless.

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyJul-03-03 01:44 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#1426, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 7

>can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you ziptie
>it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.

Dude. Doesn't your dad own a tranny shop? I figured you would have the hookup on parts and knowledge for the rest of us. I'm not breaking your balls or anything, I just thought your dad was the shit for the family biz and all.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

9D9 MITSU RSJul-03-03 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1430, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 9

>>can someone explain the mounting of the cooler? Do you
>ziptie
>>it or what? I know it needs to go in front of my condenser.
>
>Dude. Doesn't your dad own a tranny shop? I figured you would
>have the hookup on parts and knowledge for the rest of us. I'm
>not breaking your balls or anything, I just thought your dad
>was the shit for the family biz and all.
we haven't done a tranny cooler on anything while I worked there. He just doesn't wanna explain it tome, he says he can do it, but there isn't really anything to explain. He has installed the B&M's for people b4, but I have never been there when this shit took place. People rarely want performance build-ups and shit. We have build amateur racing transmissions b4. But I guess they already had coolers on. My dad works with automatics only. Domestics. He doesn't really know much about electronics. He knows nothing about a kill switch for the lock up with electronically controlled stuff, so that's all me. I guess I needta buy a cooler and slap dat biznatch on this weekend tho.

Joe B SlowJul-04-03 07:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1431, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 10

"Domestics..."

Not to down your father, as he works on trannys. But what does he do when a Chrysler comes rolling through. Say a Grand Caravan? Or a Lebaron. Does he work on those? They share the same "transmission" (with obvious changes of course) but same electronics.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

9D9 MITSU RSJul-16-03 11:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1559, "RE: anyone done the lock-up kill and cooler?"
In response to Reply # 11

he works on those. They wanna be a PITA to work tho electronically.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1407 Previous topic | Next topic