Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1001
View in linear mode

Subject: "the ever popular issue of cooling" Previous topic | Next topic
ThE oRACLeMay-29-03 08:10 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1001, "the ever popular issue of cooling"

i was wondering if there are any cons for having the vent open in this area

i know it without a doubt is a great thing to do for automatics for a few reasons ..

1)autos run hot ... the coolant lines run right by it and when at speed provides a constant flow of air over the lines and the trans itself

2) cooler air flows over engine bay

now my question is.. since the car was designed with the plugs in.. are the coolant lines able to withstand the wind ? i dont want them bending from the air pressure and or breaking loose. also can they withstand weather? i dont want my clamps rusting and popping off.. just me worrying

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, WIKKI, May-29-03 08:56 AM, #1
RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, mcgyvr, May-29-03 08:57 AM, #2
RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, ThE oRACLe, May-29-03 09:29 AM, #3
      RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Joe B Slow, May-29-03 10:03 AM, #4
           RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, ThE oRACLe, May-29-03 10:49 AM, #5
                RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Dirty, May-29-03 12:45 PM, #6
                     RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Joe B Slow, May-29-03 02:01 PM, #7
                          RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, ThE oRACLe, Jun-02-03 08:17 AM, #8
                               RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Joe B Slow, Jun-02-03 11:00 AM, #9
                                    RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, amljbs, Jun-02-03 07:07 PM, #10
                                         RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, ThE oRACLe, Jun-06-03 08:09 AM, #11
                                         RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, ThE oRACLe, Jun-06-03 08:09 AM, #12
                                              RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Dirty, Jun-06-03 09:51 PM, #13
                                                   RE: the ever popular issue of cooling, Joe B Slow, Jun-07-03 10:34 AM, #14

WIKKIMay-29-03 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1002, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 0

IMO
open it up and get a C.A.I. behind that vent and don't worry, be happy.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrMay-29-03 08:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#1003, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 0

its fine, Ive had my factory plugs as you call them removed for a long,long time and my hoses/tranny cooler are infront of my radiator and get all the wind/water/salt/etc and not one problem.

dont worry

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

ThE oRACLeMay-29-03 09:29 AM
1135 posts,
#1004, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 2

its already open so i was just wondering ...thanks guys

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Joe B SlowMay-29-03 10:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1007, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 3
May-29-03 10:03 AM by Joe B Slow

Don't count on a drop in temperature for your tranny right there. If you look in there as im sure you have you see it just hits the fender well liner, pushing the wind straight down. If you dont have a cooler yet get one and mount it up front where all the wind will go through. Our stock coolers only consist of one line across the radiator and tend to break down and just do shit for our cars.

PS - I cant tell what you've got in the faux brake scoop right now but i dunno if its a cooler or not.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

ThE oRACLeMay-29-03 10:49 AM
1135 posts,
#1010, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 4
May-29-03 10:57 AM by ThE oRACLe

fender well is gone ... i figured it would ride across to the breaks also see... what cooler can u recommend?

oRACLe's 1997 RS

DirtyMay-29-03 12:45 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#1011, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 5
May-29-03 12:46 PM by Dirty

Dude. It's good that your trying to think of some new shit to do, but that hole is only there to match the hole on the other side which is there for the intercooler on the 4g cars. The 4g cars don't have those plugs because of this. We have the plugs for whatever reason, maybe cause it's not gonna do shit for the motor, tranny, or anything unless you put boost on your car or have a CAI. If I were you I wouldn't drive around to much with your fender well cover off either. Nothing has changed on your car since you took it off except shit in that area isn't protected from the shit your tires sling up there. If you don't have a CAI or intercooler in there, the only thing you might wanna do it put a tranny cooler there.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowMay-29-03 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1012, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 6

Oracle,
I have a Hayden cooler, 4 pass. I would recommend it. But Summitracing.com has some kick ass deals on tranny/oil coolers. The only thing I see with that is that if your oil starts getting super hot it'll heat up the fins and might degrade the cooling of hte tranny fluid. Even if they are on different passes. A cooler (by pass the stock cooler) and a remote filter would be really good for you, especially with those 130+ runs you like doin . You could mount your cooler down there, and would probably be best for cooling it. Safetywise, I dunno. Run the risk of a rocks or a hamster hitting it and knocking it around and coming loose.

Experiment though see what you like! I plan on getting a temp guage in the near future, may want to invest in one of those too:).

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ThE oRACLeJun-02-03 08:17 AM
1135 posts,
#1059, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-02-03 08:22 AM by ThE oRACLe

i was thinking that also just unsure on how to hook it up .. ill look into the cooler though joe thanks

dirty without a doubt it cools things. wind travels over the coolant line and the trans itself.. so its cooling

oRACLe's 1997 RS

Joe B SlowJun-02-03 11:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1062, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 8

Id have to say the only thing cooling would be those lines. The fluid is so far inside that tranny that it wouldnt do any good to cool the outside, atleast I think. The fluid inside the tranny isnt like the fluid inside the engine. No vains cooling every part of it.

A cooler is your best bet, even if the wind is cooling hte tranny it might be dropping 5% of its heat. An external aux cooler will cool like 40% better.

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

amljbsJun-02-03 07:07 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#1069, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 9

The B&M cooler is really pretty tuff I think it would take alot to even come close to damaging it.

1998 Eclipse GST

ThE oRACLeJun-06-03 08:09 AM
1135 posts,
#1125, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 10

cool people i will look into it. i think ill go with the b&m tranny cooler they have been working autos for awhile now. what about level 10?

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLeJun-06-03 08:09 AM
1135 posts,
#1126, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 10

cool people i will look into it. i think ill go with the b&m tranny cooler they have been working autos for awhile now. what about level 10?

oRACLe's 1997 RS

DirtyJun-06-03 09:51 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#1131, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 12

If you wanna leave the wheelwell cover off go ahead. I still don't recommend it. I think people get to obsesive with cooling though. All I have is a tranny cooler and I also have my remote filter right next to the engine on the battery tray and I've only hit 150 degrees on my tranny gauge and that was in 87 degree weather and I was giving it hell. I'm just saying alot of stuff is unnessecary and you don't wanna have your tranny fluid too cool or it will be counter productive. But to each his own. Your fenderwell cover protects shit more then anything, and I wouldn't drive mine the way I do without it.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowJun-07-03 10:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1136, "RE: the ever popular issue of cooling"
In response to Reply # 13

"you don't wanna have your tranny fluid too cool or it will be counter productive"

Was wondering when someone would say that;). Fluids gotta be hot...but not HOT. Cant hardcore cool it and expect awesome results.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1001 Previous topic | Next topic