Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2751
View in threaded mode

Subject: "car doesn't shift...." Previous topic | Next topic
rAySaUcEApr-05-04 03:44 PM
Member since Jun 03rd 2003
33 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2751, "car doesn't shift...."

okay i just got my car back today...it had to go to the shop because it had a really bad idle. the shop found out that my engine wiring had been shorted out, so he fixed it. when i drove it home the car didn't shift. when i down shift of click my o/d on and off i don't feel anything. it seems like its stuck in first gear. does anybody have a clue...i know it could be the transmission but could it also be the computer.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
97whitESiApr-05-04 03:48 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2752, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 0

are you sure it wasnt stuck in 3rd? cuz if it was stuck in 3rd i think that means its in limp-in mode

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rAySaUcEApr-05-04 06:40 PM
33 posts,
#2753, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 1

wat is limp-mode...i dunno if it is stuck in 3 but its only stuck in one gear

wanna rAySaUcE?

97whitESiApr-05-04 07:10 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#2754, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 2

limp in mode allows you to drive the car to your mechanic to get it fixed, but you can tell its broken so you dont just let it go

rAySaUcEApr-05-04 10:42 PM
33 posts,
#2755, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 3

so i guess that means that i gonna need a new transmission...i don't know to much about cars...so do you know how much shops charge for a new transmission. a friends told me its going to cost 2,000. if it cost that much i might as well get a 5 speed conversion done. what do you think.

GreenApr-06-04 12:29 PM
Member since Nov 29th 2003
138 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2756, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 4

Since your car's going to be down either way:

www.car-part.com
Get a cheap manual,
have it rebuilt,
Swap...

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-06-04 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2757, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 5

It stays in second if it thinks there is something wrong. Could be TCU, input or output speed sensor, anything electronic with the trans. Doesn't necessarily mean there is anything mechanically wrong with the transaxle. Got a CEL? check the codes.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Diceman19Apr-06-04 04:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#2758, "RE: car doesn't shift...."
In response to Reply # 6

dang, this was the noob hangout till dino arrived.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2751 Previous topic | Next topic