Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #5981
View in linear mode

Subject: "ITN Rally - Socal March 15" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorjuanFeb-27-03 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5981, "ITN Rally - Socal March 15"

Road rally in SoCal.

All you need is a driver, navigator, a few markers, a flashlight and a good watch/stopwatch. The event is a test of your map reading and problem-solving skills, but is on some awesome back roads with great driving opportinities. You don't need a sports car, but it sure adds to the fun.

http://carzero.freeservers.com/blank.htm

Check it out on the SoCal DSM list for more discussion.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCal_DSM/

What is it?
1. Monte Carlo style rallies, as done in Southern California, are derived from the transit sections of the famous Monte Carlo Rally in Europe, where, in years past, they gave you a list of times and places where checkpoints may or may not be located. Creeping (going as slowly as possible without acutally stopping) is allowed within sight of checkpoints. You will be given all your true times for all the Checkpoints before Start. (True Times are the times you're supposed to actually cross the timing hose at the Checkpoint.) These True Times will be included with Official Maps and Route Instructions detailing each leg of the rally. You'll know within a few miles on which road or roads each Checkpoint could be. You have to hunt down the Checkpoints and then creep your way in. Speeds are up to you and local law enforcement. It's kind of like a giant board game with your vehicle for a game piece, and the landscape for a game board. Everything is timed below the speed limit, etc. Traffic tickets result in Disqualification.

I've been to a couple. Loads of fun. Find a co-driver and come out!

juan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, eclipsekaiser, Feb-27-03 08:36 PM, #1
RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, thedawg, Feb-28-03 10:47 AM, #2
      RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, Moderatorjuan, Feb-28-03 12:37 PM, #3
           RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, eclipsekaiser, Feb-28-03 04:41 PM, #4
                RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, CVedEclipse, Mar-01-03 03:58 PM, #5
                     RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, Teameclipse804, Mar-03-03 01:07 PM, #6
                          RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, thedawg, Mar-12-03 08:49 AM, #7
                               RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, eclipsekaiser, Mar-12-03 08:55 AM, #8
                                    RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, Moderatorjuan, Mar-12-03 10:26 AM, #9
                                         RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, eclipsekaiser, Mar-12-03 01:01 PM, #10
RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15, Moderatorjuan, Mar-18-03 08:28 AM, #11

eclipsekaiserFeb-27-03 08:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5987, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 0

Juan, long time no post. What is new.

As for the rally, it is loads of fun, definitely something to try out. It is not about who's got the fastest car, or best suspension.

Dan, you up for it again...

-K-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgFeb-28-03 10:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#5998, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 1

WHOAH! Hi Juan!!!

Yeah, I'm already SOOO down for going again. Kaiser, we rallying the blue beater again? It's up for sale, but if it doesn't sell by then we'll use it. I'm asking twice what I paid for it so it probably won't sell too soon. Damn and I just washed it for the first time ever.

We should seriously make this a meet, I can't think of any reason NOT to do this rally. Hell, there were lowered disco 3G's there last time that did just fine.

ModeratorjuanFeb-28-03 12:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#6001, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey guys.

Yeah, I'm still here. Wish I could keep up with things more, but you know how it goes (editing 500 XML files, by hand, at work _really_ sucks but that's what TheMan says I gotta do...).

Looking forward to the event though. Just gotta get my car in shape.

juan

eclipsekaiserFeb-28-03 04:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#6004, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-28-03 04:43 PM by eclipsekaiser

Hahahahaha

This time I'll bring duct tape for the reading light...And markers too.

I hope there will be something similar to JAck Rabbit trail, and haunted schools along the way. Makes breakign down a lot more interesting. Might even have to invest in a camcorder...

We'll talk about it tomorrow.

-K-

CVedEclipseMar-01-03 03:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#6010, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 4

damn.. i really wish i could go.. i remeber you guys talking it about it from last time... but i have finals on monday, tues and weds the following week

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

Teameclipse804Mar-03-03 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#6021, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 5

Wish I could go too, but I also have finals the week right after...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

thedawgMar-12-03 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#6255, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 6

Well, the rally is this weekend. Kaiser bailed so I need a new codriver! Anyone up for it? Hopefully you have good map reading and instruction following skills, but its all in good fun if you dont.

email me if interested,
dkgreen@law.pepperdine.edu

eclipsekaiserMar-12-03 08:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#6256, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 7

Sorry Dan....me sooo sorry... I guess to repay you back, you can help me fix my leaking bedplate when the girls leave for Hawaii.

Maybe you can get with Juan...???

-K-

ModeratorjuanMar-12-03 10:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#6258, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 8

>Maybe you can get with Juan...???

sorry, I don't swing that way... ;p

Actually, a buddy from work is my nav. Since we work for a GIS company, we are gonna set up his GPS in the car (just gonna track the route, I don't think it would help with the rally).

juan

eclipsekaiserMar-12-03 01:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#6266, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 9

Juan, GPS is cheating....hence it test map reading skills..

dan, how about Mike(s), James, or even your girl? I feel soo bad now... next time I'll go for sure...

-K-

ModeratorjuanMar-18-03 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#6356, "RE: ITN Rally - Socal March 15"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, the rally was a blast! Dicey conditions with all the rain we had, but that added to the challenge.
We never ended up using the GPS to datalog cos it stopped talking to the laptop. Oh well.

Here is the post I made to the SoCal list, for those interested...

My nav and I got totally off track looking for SO6. I think we missed
the turnoff and followed that road way too far south, down to the
point where it curves around and starts heading north again. Nav got
a little quesy here, so had to take it easy after that in the bends.

We got in to CP7, and the control workers said we were the last ones,
so I guess they forgot about Marc and Ian or something. They then
followed us, 'sweeping the course'. That last section of the twisty
road in the hills was fun in the conditions. Got a rythm going and
was able to put some distance on the course workers behind us in their
Subie Outback. Sure wish _I_ had AWD and ABS!

Other points of note...

- Remember the family with the two kids? We drove past them as they
were pulled over, just in time to see the girl totally barf. Yuck!

- Closest call for me was in the "closed to through traffic" section.
The Subie just in front of us seemed to totally slow down for a wash
without the brake lights coming on, so by the time I noticed they were
no longer going as fast as I was, there was barely enough time for
full braking and a swerve into the oncoming lane. Thank god there was
noone coming the other way! Got my pulse up pretty high right there...

- Hydroplaning is, um, interesting. Especially when you know as the
driver that the person sitting next to you has no idea you have little
control of the car right then.

- Sure glad i put the stock intake back on friday night.

- Palmdale gets crazy flooded when it rains. The whole 138 back to
the IE was interesting too.

- Driving in conditions like that is nothing compared to driving in
snow. Still, it definitely commands your full attention.

It was nice to see such a big turnout. I agree with the consensus
that at street prepared Eclipse was not the ideal vehicle for the
conditions.

There were 34 cars running. My nav and I came in 7th of 8 in the Novice class. Got off course, missed a checkpoint, and maxed the time on the rest. Thought we were the last ones done, but two more straggled in about 15 minutes later.

For some pics, go to http://v99.net/DSM/ITN%20Rally/3-15-2003/
The ones I took are at the bottom, with itn in the filename.

Rally on!
juan

Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #5981 Previous topic | Next topic