Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #21824
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shut down 2GNT.com ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-14-16 09:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21824, "Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
May-14-16 10:42 PM by DarkOne

I was recently informed by the owner of the co-located server that hosts 2GNT.com that he wishes to decommission the server and no longer offer the service.

This leaves 2GNT in a position to make some important decisions. We've been around for a very long time (almost 20 years now!) and I'd hate to see this all stop, but facing facts, the site is very little used and most of us have moved on long ago to other platforms and other communities. The handful of us that are closest have been in the same Google Hangout for probably five years.

Regardless of how I feel about it, I'll leave the choice up to those that are still here and still active: What should I do? Do we keep going, or do we call it a day, exchange numbers, and go our separate ways?

Dino

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, freelancefool, May-14-16 09:58 PM, #1
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, J, May-14-16 10:31 PM, #2
      RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, taclipse, May-15-16 05:52 AM, #3
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Locke_db, May-15-16 09:08 AM, #4
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, iamnotwhoiam, May-15-16 09:20 AM, #5
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Babbz413, May-16-16 10:46 AM, #6
      RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, electrohead, May-17-16 06:06 PM, #7
      RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, phyrron, May-18-16 08:50 AM, #8
           RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, ez, May-18-16 09:27 PM, #9
                RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Wes Tank, May-19-16 10:26 PM, #10
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, DVSJAY, May-20-16 12:29 PM, #11
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Moderatorsd_eclipse, May-24-16 11:31 AM, #12
RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, SonicYan, May-24-16 12:19 PM, #13
      RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-24-16 10:09 PM, #14
           RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, electrohead, May-26-16 12:08 AM, #15
                RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-26-16 08:17 PM, #16
                     RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, ModeratorVX100, Jul-06-16 10:45 PM, #17
                          RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, ModeratorCorbin, Jul-20-16 06:16 PM, #18
                               RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-20-16 06:59 PM, #19
                                    RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?, electrohead, Jul-20-16 08:49 PM, #20

freelancefoolMay-14-16 09:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21825, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dino,
It's a hard decision to make either way. On one hand I love this place. On the other, I never come here anymore. I pretty much don't check any of the DSM sites now and there is one sitting in my garage.

With the amount of real traffic here, it's probably not terribly expensive to keep it running. On the other hand, none of the mods are terribly active here from what I remember and neither are the members.

What is worse: No answer to your question? Just going to a more active site?

Keep the domain alive and pointing somewhere else.
Make a few copies of this site to pass around to others.
Find somewhere super cheap to host and let it be an archive.

Those are the options I see and I know this isn't my most coherent post.

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JMay-14-16 10:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#21826, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Well... should 2GNT ever go offline, I for one would definitely want an offline copy if at all possible... or host it somewhere else for free and mark the database as read only. I've still got my purple people eater and would cry at the loss of the extraordinary knowledge and info here!!!!!! I still come here and quietly run my searches for the great info ONLY found here!

- J

taclipseMay-15-16 05:52 AM
Member since Apr 12th 2004
200 posts,
#21827, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 2

This forum pretty much made me who I am and taught me about my car. I think it would be a shame if it was shutdown. I'm not as active as I used to be but I feel that at of information would be lost. Is there a donation we could all make to keep it going?

Locke_dbMay-15-16 09:08 AM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#21828, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 0

We totally all know each other and keep in touch in other ways, so I'm personally not to concerned about it affecting the "community". However, I am worried about losing all of the information which is located here.

I like the idea of finding the cheapest, crappiest vps or shared hosting, pre- paying several years with of hosting, and letting it love on there.

I'm sure we could pitch in a few hundred dollars to keep it around for a few more years. I'm down for donating.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=287

iamnotwhoiamMay-15-16 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#21829, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 0

As I'm probably among the few that still have and drive a 2gnt, I will be sad but the main reason I would want the site to live on would mainly be to search out stuff. I realize the days are numbered for 2gnts and even mine. It's kind of a necessity for me to keep it going as I'm not yet ready for another car. Either way. At the least I would hope there is a way to keep it alive as a read only option. The community as it was on the site has mostly moved on and gone to other mediums so I get it. The time has come to make a decision for sure.

My emotional vote is to keep the site alive as-is forever. I get however that the site is mostly a ghost town. At the minimum I would like the site to live on in some sort of read-only manner as it's still filled with good info as as long as I keep trying to keep and drive my Talon I still come here for research.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Babbz413May-16-16 10:46 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#21830, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 5

I myself still have a 2gnt project and frequent these forums weekly. This place is the number 1 tool and research area for this platform. So much information here. I would definitely be interested, if possible, a way to save, download, or whatever, these forums to be accessed offline.

Good luck!

95 GS Boosted

electroheadMay-17-16 06:06 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#21831, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 6
May-17-16 06:28 PM by electrohead

I am one of those that still owns, drives, mod, and customize. I have a deep connection to the car and the site (this site being the reason I picked up a 2gnt). This site has a great wealth of information and I'm on board with those that are willing to find a way to keep 2gnt alive. Even though I'm a bit of a lurker (been waiting to post pics of my car once I felt it was worthy enough. Lol), but the members on here have been an inspiration towards my pursuit of a clean, built Eclipse. If there would be, at the very least, a way to save everything on the site to view offline, I would be greatful for that. But I would prefer saving the site. So the question is this: What do we need to do to save this site?

phyrronMay-18-16 08:50 AM
Member since Jan 15th 2014
1 posts,
#21832, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Babbz413
I myself still have a 2gnt project and frequent these forums weekly. This place is the number 1 tool and research area for this platform. So much information here. I would definitely be interested, if possible, a way to save, download, or whatever, these forums to be accessed offline. Good luck!

+1
there is valuable information for 2gnt owners especially if you are outside USA like myself. i still use caps, conversion pages, even info&specs pages.
if it wont be possible to keep the site online, i will need an offline version to continue my project

ezMay-18-16 09:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#21833, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 8

The RS is still my only car and so I still browse the forum occasionally when I need to fix something new. I will really miss the place if you decide to let it go, but it's up to you Dino. 2gnt used to be the only reason I needed the internet

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Wes TankMay-19-16 10:26 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#21834, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 9

It would be sad to see it go especially with all the information that is here. I am definitely in favor of keeping an image of the site online for people to use for information if keeping it live is no longer an option. I still have my 95 and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Good to see all of you in here as well.

DVSJAYMay-20-16 12:29 PM
Member since May 28th 2002
270 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#21835, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been on and off this site for years, it helped me more than I can express. I would be happy to host the server if came down to it. I passed my Eclipse down to my wife and it's undergoing its second life. Funny thing is I finally get everything in my life square and I was going to start posting pics on here about the progress, now I find out it might be closing, sad. Let me know how and if I can help.

DVSJAY

--- Profile ---
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5614

--- Pics ---
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500

Moderatorsd_eclipseMay-24-16 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#21836, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 0

I still check in/lurk once in a blue moon just to see who's still around and what they're up to. It would be sad to see 2gnt go but it sounds like the fat lady is warming up her vocal cords...

SonicYanMay-24-16 12:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#21837, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Wow, end of an era. Would be sad to see her go. I'm glad to still see familiar faces still posting.

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-24-16 10:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#21838, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 13

Welp, I moved us over to a new server and paid for three years of hosting. We're good until 2019!

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

electroheadMay-26-16 12:08 AM
182 posts,
#21839, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 14

That's awesome! Are you going for a late Mayday Payday so some of us can help offset what you spent to keep 2gnt alive? It only seems right.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-26-16 08:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#21840, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by electrohead
That's awesome! Are you going for a late Mayday Payday so some of us can help offset what you spent to keep 2gnt alive? It only seems right.

Feel free. Paypal info is the same as it ever was

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

ModeratorVX100Jul-06-16 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#21841, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks very much! Your efforts are greatly appreciated as always.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ModeratorCorbinJul-20-16 06:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#21842, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 17

I completely missed this post. I guess that shows how much time I spend here. I do check in here and there to answer questions and search. This place is still home, despite me having the wrong engine now. I can't bring myself to join any other boards. What is the yearly cost to keep this place open?

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-20-16 06:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#21843, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 18

I don't have a yearly breakdown handy, but we're paid up until 2019 right now.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

electroheadJul-20-16 08:49 PM
182 posts,
#21844, "RE: Shut down 2GNT.com ?"
In response to Reply # 19

Once I'm done with the whole house buying process, I'll be able to help out with some money to help cover some of the cash you forked over to save this site. Never realized how crazy getting a house can be...

Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #21824 Previous topic | Next topic