Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #948
View in linear mode

Subject: "results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Apr-06-02 11:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#948, "results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"

Well, you have now! Here's my best run from racing last night:

60' 2.354, 1/8th 10.039 at 70.02mph, 1/4 15.590 at 90.35mph. Yes, only 1/1000th slower than my best run, with a worse 60' time. Out of 7 runs (lucky I got 7 runs, it was packed!), two were 90+mph, two were 89+mph, and three were high 88 mph. For the 1/8th mile, all runs except one were 70+mph. I have neverc hit 70 mph in the 1/8th before, and never 89 mph in the 1/4 mile, let alone 90! 1/4 mile times varied from 15.590 to 15.792.

The temperature was about 30-35 degrees, so I had more power and less traction. As you'd expect, I couldn't get the car to stick. My 60' and 1/4 mile times got worse after my best run (3rd run of the night) because of traction problems. I was spinning in 1st to 6500 rpms every race. The lack of traction made it nearly impossible to get any better 1/4 mile times.

Also, I datalogged my first run of the night. With the SAFC set to -7 at 5000 rpms, and -10 at 600 rpms and up, I was running about 0.92-0.90V on the O2 sensor in 1st gear, about 0.90V in 2nd gear, and about 0.87-0.88V in 3rd, holding steady in all gears. I also logged timing. I hit 21 deg advance in 1st, 23 degrees in 2nd and 3rd. The timing did not pull back in any gear. In 3rd gear, it held from 5700 rpms to redline at 23 degrees.

As for the races, one run was solo. I lost to two civics All those slow cars there last night and I didn't line up against any of them! One civic might have been using nitrous, but I can't be sure, it was a 92 hatchback (the bubbly style), the other was a turboed del sol (with external waste gate it was loud). I lost to two turbo DSMs (almost got my friend in his FWD auto tranny 92 laser, he had the boost turned way down and I lost by 0.01 sec, damn!) and I almost had a 5.0 mustang (lost by one tenth, I had him on R/T but my R/T wasn't good, if it was better I would have had him, and he didn't run by me on the top end. I stayed even with him the whole race, and seemed to just barely start to pull back on him right before the end of the 1/4 mile! I did run a faster mph than his car), and I wooped ass on an old chevy El Camino.

I did get a compliment from the 2nd gen AWD talon I lined up against. He came up to me after we got back in line and said, "I have to ask you what you've got done to that thing. I used to have a GS eclipse, and I never thought it was possible to get a NT to run that fast until I saw your run." (I ran my best run against him)

Well, that's about it. The race agaisnt the 5.0 was a good run (the V8s were the slowest and least impressive cars I lined up against!) I am glad the car ran so fast, and that I have been able to reproduce high 15.5s and low 15.6s. I was worried the car wouldn't be able to do it! Now it's time for more mods, heh heh

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, Fast420A, Apr-06-02 12:14 PM, #1
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, forgedsm420a, Apr-06-02 01:40 PM, #2
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, Teameclipse804, Apr-06-02 03:57 PM, #3
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, SaberKhan, Apr-06-02 10:00 PM, #4
      RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, ModeratorVX100, Apr-07-02 01:52 AM, #5
           RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, forgedsm420a, Apr-07-02 03:21 PM, #10
                ummm, no, ModeratorVX100, Apr-08-02 12:37 AM, #11
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-07-02 09:22 AM, #6
RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, vegasdsmr, Apr-07-02 10:06 AM, #7
      RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?, TeamMichael_97RS, Apr-07-02 10:16 AM, #8
           thanks guys, ModeratorVX100, Apr-07-02 11:08 AM, #9
                RE: thanks guys, DSBLK93GT, Apr-08-02 02:37 PM, #12
                     RE: thanks guys, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-08-02 07:18 PM, #13

Fast420AApr-06-02 12:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#949, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 0

My best Trap speed was 88 mph on one of my slow runs (high 16's) I was still pulling 83 mph on my 16.4 run. Everything would be different if we had your weather here. Everytime I have been at the track it's been between 70 - 90 degrees outside.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

forgedsm420aApr-06-02 01:40 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2002
12 posts,
#950, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 1

I WENT LAST NIGHT IT WAS PACKED .
MY BEST RUN WAS WITH THE WORST REACTION TIME
REACTION:.459
60 FT:2.571
1/8 :10.593
MPH :68.145

IF YOU COMPENSATE FOR THE LAME REACTION TIME THE CAR RAN A 10.134
AND I SPUN THROUGH THE 60 FT MARK

96 GS
MODS:
AREOSPEED CAI
BORED THROTLE BODIE
MATCH PORTED INTAKE
BOWEL PORTED AND POLISHED HEAD SHAVED .010
JE PISTONS
CROWER RODS
LIGHTEND AND BALANCED ROTATING ASEMBLEY
HAHN CLUTCH
SI STAINLESS STEEL VALVES
18X7 ENKIE ZENKIE'S
6.8" MONI

Teameclipse804Apr-06-02 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#951, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 0

COngrats Todd, now just imagine with an extra 10 hp from cam gears ehhe. Check the performance section, someone posted a link for the aem cam gears for 264 shipped, which is a really great deal. I think you'll be able to break 15.5 and officially call it low 15's hehe.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

SaberKhanApr-06-02 10:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#952, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 3

Congrats Todd! Thats a kickass trap speed Bastard, you get 30 degree weather to race in, I hate you.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

ModeratorVX100Apr-07-02 01:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#953, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 4

yes, I'll get to "low" 15's someday, maybe soon

and, you can't subtract your reaction time and say you would have run a faster 1/4 or 1/8th mile time. The reaction time does determine who wins the race, but it has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

forgedsm420aApr-07-02 03:21 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2002
12 posts,
#954, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 5

not trying to get anything started but your reaction time does affect your overall time .... as soon as the last light goes green the clock starts running your reactin time is from when the light turns green till your tires leave the lights and that time is still added to your over all run ......next itme your at the track sit at the lights for about a sec and your run will be slower , but then subtract your reaction time and it will be how long it tok for you to get down the track.....

still a hella run one day i will be as fast .

96 GS
MODS:
AREOSPEED CAI
BORED THROTLE BODIE
MATCH PORTED INTAKE
BOWEL PORTED AND POLISHED HEAD SHAVED .010
JE PISTONS
CROWER RODS
LIGHTEND AND BALANCED ROTATING ASEMBLEY
HAHN CLUTCH
SI STAINLESS STEEL VALVES
18X7 ENKIE ZENKIE'S
6.8" MONI

ModeratorVX100Apr-08-02 12:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#955, "ummm, no"
In response to Reply # 10

>not trying to get anything started but your reaction time
>does affect your overall time .... as soon as the last
>light goes green the clock starts running your reactin
>time is from when the light turns green till your tires
>leave the lights and that time is still added to your over
>all run ......next itme your at the track sit at the lights
>for about a sec and your run will be slower , but then
>subtract your reaction time and it will be how long it tok
>for you to get down the track.....
>
>still a hella run one day i will be as fast .

No, your reaction time does not affect what your actual 1/4 mile time is. Your reaction time is not added to your overall run. I have 150+ drag races under my belt, trust me on this one

If I sit at the light for 5 seconds, I am not going to run a 20.5 second 1/4 mile, I will end up running a 15.5 sec 1/4 mile witha 5 second reaction time. If you have a slow reaction time, you could very likely loose a race against a slower car (since it's who gets to the end first that wins) but you will not actually run a slower 1/4 mile time.

On friday night one of my runs was a solo run. When the tree went down I did sit at the light, and had a 1.6 second reaction time. My final 1/4 mile for that run was 15.7. Now, according to your logic, if I had a faster reaction time I could have been able to run 1.6 seconds faster than this, or 14.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Ehh, while it would be nice to think that I could run 14.1 in my car, I don't think that can happen in it's current state of modification.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

TeamXtremeRSApr-07-02 09:22 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#956, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 0

Excellent run! Well done man. Hey, do you have any other mods performance wise done to your car that isn't in your sig? How about the interior? any weight reduction? What did you take out of the car? I'm just curious, cause that is a really good run, and the car seems to be making some good power, along with a really good driver, which really helps

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

vegasdsmrApr-07-02 10:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#957, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 6

right on maaaaaaaaaayn!!!!! my slo ass only trapped out at 83change, so hella nice!!!

one day when i get my afc, i will definately wanna holla at u, hehe...

keep dat shit at WOT

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

TeamMichael_97RSApr-07-02 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#958, "RE: results from racing: ever hear of a NT run 90 mph in the 1/4 with just bolt ons?"
In response to Reply # 7

Nicely done todd. I can't wait for the shoot out this year, should be interesting.

Una salus victus.
It's not about being invincible, it's about being ready; for anything.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Intake Manifold 1/2, P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

ModeratorVX100Apr-07-02 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#959, "thanks guys"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, it should be interesting at the shootout this year, but maybe not as interesting as you'd think Mike. I might bring the rx-7 rims and tires to the shootout. If I'm going to be bracket racing, (bracket 2, no NT class this year) it won't make a difference, and I can then autocross without the stock tires folding over. and, there isn't much tread left on the stock tires, so I want to probably put the wear on the other set. Plus, I haven't used them in maybe 10 months or so.

XtremeRS, the mods in my signature are what's on the car (I was running my stock rims/tires), nothing else. And, interior is stock, no weight reduction. I left my spare, tools, and jack at home though, and was running on 1/8th a tank of gas. The car weighs, with me in, it just under 2900 lbs.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

DSBLK93GTApr-08-02 02:37 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#960, "RE: thanks guys"
In response to Reply # 9

Nice MPH..good run dude. I got a V8 for ya to run..poor old 5.0 Why is it everywhere there are slow V8's? It must be the drivers I guess. My 89LX 5.0 was fully optioned,auto with shit 2.73's, a system,and HEAVY 17's and ran 15.54 @ 92.7 . That is the slowest time I've ever seen in my life, but it was almost 100% stock(intake and catback for sound) and had 130,000 miles too I guess. With a simple gear change it now runs 14.5's at around 96-97. My GT has simple bolt ons and is a solid 14.0 car..going to track on Fri. I already beat a newer Z28 and can run with a 2002 S2000 up to 100 so sure I will do ok. Nitto's will be here soon!!

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-08-02 07:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#961, "RE: thanks guys"
In response to Reply # 12

I saw your times posted on the NEDSM list a few days ago but never sent in a congrats. Good job man! Sooner or later when the weather cooperates, I'll take a night off and make "the journey" up to NED.

-Tony 98'GST

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #948 Previous topic | Next topic