Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6021
View in linear mode

Subject: "track time!" Previous topic | Next topic
barza21Mar-11-09 06:45 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6021, "track time!"

Hello people.

I am going to the track on saturday, I just rebuilt my engine and it has better compression than my stock, so everything seems to be good. The
engine has 3500 miles on it and I believe she is ready to see some action. The tranny has an LSD. I know I can lower the tire pressure and that will help with the launch, but besides that what can I do to help me break my current record 17.6 (I know slow). Launching at 3000 doesnt work for me for some reason, so that's out of the question. I have taken not necessary out, not even the power steering is on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I really want to break into the 16's even if they are high 16's.

Thanks

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: track time!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-12-09 02:16 AM, #1
RE: track time!, Moderatorteklein, Mar-13-09 05:47 AM, #2
      RE: track time!, SilvrEclips, Mar-14-09 10:46 AM, #3
           RE: track time!, barza21, Mar-24-09 07:00 PM, #4
                RE: track time!, Moderatorxcasbonx, Mar-25-09 09:18 AM, #5
                     RE: track time!, 96mitseclipsers, Mar-25-09 01:33 PM, #6
                          RE: track time!, barza21, Apr-06-09 06:06 PM, #7
                               RE: track time!, shoobaah, Apr-08-09 09:17 PM, #8
                                    RE: track time!, SaberKhan, May-04-09 10:48 AM, #9

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-12-09 02:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6022, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by barza21
Launching at 3000 doesnt work for me

Need to launch higher with a slip launch. Don't ride the clutch out but let the clutch start moving the car and then you can dump it. takes a bit of practice. If you can speed shift (no lift shifting) that will help your times. Make sure (on your shift) that you go just past your peak power. Because you want the shift to land back into a range that keeps you in your power upswing.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinMar-13-09 05:47 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#6023, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 1

Good luck Barzabater!

SilvrEclipsMar-14-09 10:46 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#6024, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 2

You should have no problem breaking 16s. I was running low 16s with a few bolt ons and decent 60fts. Thats probably where your problem is. I never has any luck revin the car up and sliping the clutch out. I just waited till the lights were counting down and drove the car just like I do on the street but launchin a little faster. Trying to hold the rpms at 3k never worked for me, I would just spin. Also lower the tire pressure to 20-25psi

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

barza21Mar-24-09 07:00 PM
313 posts,
#6025, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 3

Well update as requested:

I went to the track with my hopes up and came out of there tottaly disappointed. My old best time was 17.6 with just the catback and messed up engine and 2.4 seconds 0-60' time, well with the new engine, better compression (even though low compression pistons), and LSD in the tranny the best I could manage to get was a 17.5 and that was on my first pass with a 2.6 0-60' time.

I am a horrible driver, I tried 4 times, but after the first run it just started getting worse and worse. I know the car has a lot more in it. I know this because in one of the runs I race against a car that ran 17.1 and on that run I ran 17.9, but I was ahead of him the whole time but when I had to shift from second to third I missed the shift and that is when he got in front, I am 99.999% sure I lost a full second with that missed third!!! I was pissed because I had him all the way!!! I could have broken into the 16's! and the worst part my 0-60' time were 2.64 in that run!

It is all in the launch and shifting, I have to get used to the new clutch and the LSD, the car spins bad when shifting into second, I will see how it goes in a month or two, have to fix some things on the car right now.

ModeratorxcasbonxMar-25-09 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#6026, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-25-09 09:20 AM by xcasbonx

Just keep practicing man, you will get it eventually.

Also if you're running low compression pistons NA still you're going to be pretty slow, but I would imagine you should be able to break into the 16s still. Just work on your launch and shifting.

Last time I ran my car was about two years ago and the best I could muster was a 16.3 and that was with the 18's on and with the low compression (8.8:1) pistons. However I had an AFX ECU also so that changes things a bit as well.

I contributed to the Wiki.

96mitseclipsersMar-25-09 01:33 PM
Member since Jan 12th 2009
47 posts,
#6027, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 5

It takes practice I know my first time it was like I was eating lunch on the time...hahahaa god it was horrible

barza21Apr-06-09 06:06 PM
313 posts,
#6028, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-06-09 06:08 PM by barza21

well update, I decided to go again.

This time not bad, my best run of the day was 17.034 and my 0-60' time were 2.5xx on that run. I got 2.4xx 0-60ft time on a different run but ran 17.1xxx

I changed my shifting from redline to 6500 from first to second, and 6800 from second to third, these two changes plus me launching at 5000-5500 rpms helped a lot! Every single time I shifted the wouldnt boggle at all, only a couple a times when I went into third.

Hope that helps for other people in here, keep in mind I am low compression and have some crane 16's in there, so my power band may be different to anybody else with a stock car. Also I am way above sea level.

I am happy.

shoobaahApr-08-09 09:17 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2009
5 posts,
#6030, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 7

this is probably a BANME! question but isnt that launch kind of high? whenever i launch that high i spin tire, so recently ive been launching lower like 2500 so that the tires grab...i should have a timeslip on friday(first time racing :O) so ultimately i think i will be able to answer my own question haha but i was just curious

SaberKhanMay-04-09 10:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#6044, "RE: track time!"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by shoobaah
this is probably a BANME! question but isnt that launch kind of high? whenever i launch that high i spin tire, so recently ive been launching lower like 2500 so that the tires grab...i should have a timeslip on friday(first time racing :O) so ultimately i think i will be able to answer my own question haha but i was just curious

How high you should launch depends on several things. Temp of the track, tire pressure, type of tires, etc. Let some air out of those front tires! By doing so you create a larger contact patch, which translates into more traction. I used to lower the pressure to the 15-20psi range, and I could launch in the 6k rpm range. Also, I ran her right to fuel cut in every gear, which is *past* the stock redline. Depending on your setup, this may or may not help you. On my nearly stock 2gnt it worked best.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6021 Previous topic | Next topic