Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #561
View in linear mode

Subject: "my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
that_cool_guy18Feb-15-02 08:20 AM
Member since Feb 02nd 2002
147 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#561, "my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"

Hey whats up everyone. I went to the track last saturady. we only have a 1/8 mile track in savannah. (it really sucks too. the strip is half cracked) but newayz the best time I could do was 3 count them three 11.074 (I think I should just bracket). But we weren't planning on going to the track so I still had my subs, spare, and all of my college books in the car. Also I need shocks/struts. Mine are completely blown.(I've posted about them in suspension if you care to read about how bad they are). What kind of improvement do you guys think that I will get just from replacing the shocks and taking out the unnecessary(?). Also I do have an underdrive pulley but it was not on at the time, what kind of times do you think I would have including the shocks, pulley, and removal of unne... weight?

thanks
josh

the eclipse is gon but i sold it to my brother so it is still in the famil i bought the nissan se-r spec i like it for the price i paid. once the aftermarket starts coming into play i will have one hella fast biotch. i gteched her at 15.4 with 1

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, ModeratorVX100, Feb-15-02 08:45 AM, #1
RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, that_cool_guy18, Feb-15-02 09:33 AM, #2
      RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, that_cool_guy18, Feb-15-02 10:01 AM, #3
           RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, ModeratorVX100, Feb-16-02 11:56 AM, #4
                RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, that_cool_guy18, Feb-16-02 05:01 PM, #5
                     RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, that_cool_guy18, Feb-17-02 04:02 AM, #6
                          RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!, ModeratorVX100, Feb-18-02 01:35 AM, #7

ModeratorVX100Feb-15-02 08:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#562, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

Removing everything you can (items that are not a chore to do) from the car, like the spare, jack, tools, books, speaker equipment, and running on a 1/4 tank or less of gas (at least 5.5 lbs per gallon), you might see a tenth and change in the 1/8th mile.

You shouldn't run the heavy rims and tires. Use your stock setup (or a nice set of RS aloys if you can pick some up dirt cheap) and you'll go a tenth or two (in the 1/8th) faster.

Also, as crazy as this sounds, replace the rear shocks, but keep the blown front ones. Try it and see what happens, you might be suprised. (it's another one of my crazy ideas, I can explain if you want)

And, did you install the UD pulley AFTER running at the drag strip? I can't imagine if you had the pulley on, why you'd take it off.

Get an extention for the AEM and make it a cold air setup,that warm air short setup you have isn't helping.

Most importantly, keep practicing. Keep that wheelspin down to a minimum at the line. I was hitting about 10.7 or so in the 1/8th (I've always raced in the 1/4, but of course they post the 1/8th as well on the slip) the first time I went racing, now I've just barely gotten into 9's, so you'll get there with the right setup and practice.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

that_cool_guy18Feb-15-02 09:33 AM
147 posts,
#563, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 1

why would i want to keep the blown front shocks? my dad suggested it also but, the only reason he said it was because I'm next to broke and all I can afford is the rear.

The udp wasn't on last sat. I also had 3/4 tank of gas when we raced. Assuming that I get rid of all the unne... junk out of my car and replace only the rear shocks, what kind of time do you think I will next Sat. at import vs. domestic?

ohh and thanks

the eclipse is gon but i sold it to my brother so it is still in the famil i bought the nissan se-r spec i like it for the price i paid. once the aftermarket starts coming into play i will have one hella fast biotch. i gteched her at 15.4 with 1

that_cool_guy18Feb-15-02 10:01 AM
147 posts,
#564, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 2

my stock wheels were the 16s. i think my 17s w/ low profile tires weigh in less than the stock.

ModeratorVX100Feb-16-02 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#565, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, it depends alot on the launch. If you get rid of all the stuff, and run less gas, that should be at least 100 lbs less (about 40lbs less gas, 50 lbs less from tools/spare, and more weight from the books, junk, and speakers/subs). That alone should give you a tenth or so. With the rear shocks and the blown fronts as well, you could shave 3/10ths off that 1/8th mile time (just a rough guess, I think you should be able to run a 10.7 instead of a 11.0)

You'd probably want the 16's even if they are a bit heavier just so you you get a higher sidewall that isn't soo stiff. that will help you get better traction off the line. Your low profile tires probably are Z rated with steel sidewall inserts, not really good for drag racing.

And, here's the reason for using blown front shocks. They will let the tire hook up better, for more traction. A RWD car would want a stiffer front end and a softer rear end to help the weight transfer to the rear wheels, we'd want the opposite to help prevent the weight from transferring off the front wheels.

I have AGX adjustables, I set the rears to full stiff and the fronts to full soft, and it works for me.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

that_cool_guy18Feb-16-02 05:01 PM
147 posts,
#566, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 4

thanks for the idea about keeping the blown fronts. i just bought 2 rear stuts today from pep boys. they aren't adjustable though. do you think that will be a problem? i've always thought that the adjustables were there more for softening as oppose to stiffening. i can take them back if it will be a problem but...

that_cool_guy18Feb-17-02 04:02 AM
147 posts,
#567, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 5

hey just to let you all know. i just put on my rear shocks. it took about 30minutes for both. but the car is insane on takeoffs now compared to before. there is still some wheelhop but only when i am being stupid w/ my launches. thamks guys

ModeratorVX100Feb-18-02 01:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#568, "RE: my times are embarrasing and i cant spell...HELP!"
In response to Reply # 6

glad it helped

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #561 Previous topic | Next topic