Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4704
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X." Previous topic | Next topic
LeJeune123Mar-29-05 11:05 AM
Member since Jun 16th 2004
202 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4704, "Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."

I love taking my eclipse out to the track eventhough it is not powerful and the suspension is completely stock. During a hard run in which I had a 3/4 tank of gas and was in 2nd the entire time, during some hard corners my car would like rev limit me at 4,000 RPM's and lower and higher depending on how hard the corners were. I was wondering if this was fuel related or something like oil starvation. I don't want to keep doing this if I am going to kill my motor but it is soooo fun!! Please help me out.

I am parting out my 95 RS!!!

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=49&topic_id=3652&mode=full

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., kain_99gs, Mar-30-05 06:11 PM, #1
RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., LeJeune123, Mar-30-05 07:22 PM, #2
      RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., marius, Mar-31-05 08:31 PM, #3
           RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., LeJeune123, Apr-01-05 07:26 AM, #4
                RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., Teamner947, May-09-05 08:52 AM, #5
                     RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., TeamDR1665, Jul-05-05 01:43 PM, #6
                          RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X., HadesOmega, Jul-05-05 01:54 PM, #7

kain_99gsMar-30-05 06:11 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4707, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 0

This is off of 1000 already answered questions:

My car stumbles/misses during hard cornering. Is there a fix?

This problem is fuel starvation caused by fuel sloshing around in the tank during hard cornering. Depending on the direction of the turn, the fuel pump pickup can get uncovered, leaving the pump with nothing to pump but air.

Owing to differences in fuel tank design, 1G AWDs have this problem when executing hard left corners, while 2G FWD turbos have problems with hairpin right turns. In both cases the fuel pickups are on the side of the car which is on the inside of the turn; of course, the fuel wants to be on the outside (opposite) side of the car.

The only fix for this problem is to have enough fuel. Most recommend at least 1/4 tank of fuel, but some hardcore autoxers say they need at least 3/4 of a tank.

2G AWDs and 1G FWDs apparantly do not suffer from this problem as much, as their fuel pickups are located differently. Despite this, autocrossers may still run into the problem.

It seems to me that if you are running 3/4 of a tank that the problem is possibly elsewhere though. anyways, good luck.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

LeJeune123Mar-30-05 07:22 PM
202 posts,
#4708, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 1

I did have 1/4 tank at first and it did it really bad but then I put it up to 3/4 tank and it still did it but not nearly as much. It also seemed to get worse the longer I went. So on the first lap it would do it once but on the last lap I could hardly pull through the turns at all.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=49&topic_id=3652&mode=full

mariusMar-31-05 08:31 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
75 posts,
#4709, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 2

It is also possible that you do not have enough power to overcome the g force in said corners. The way you can know for sure is just listen to the engone, i.e. if it just does not rev any higher then the g force is the cause, if it starts running like shit, then you are fuel starved. I personally have run into the g force problem in one of my previous cars, sticky tires, stiff suspension, and not enough power.

New sled for a while: Gray Pearl 98 RS stock with shitty ass Eagle alloys.

LeJeune123Apr-01-05 07:26 AM
202 posts,
#4710, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 3

It feels like the motor just won't go any higher. It doesn't miss or run bad, it just does the same thing as if I was hiiting the rev-limiter except not as hard. It actually sounds like a drag car stutter box. When I come out of the corner there is a boost of power like I had a turbo or somthing(I wish). Thanks for all the help everyone and keep it coming cause I will find out about this and fix it before next track day.

Teamner947May-09-05 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#4727, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 4

Careful of those tight right turns. If you are at all low on oil you may run dry for a few seconds (extremely bad) due to the design of the oil pan/pickup tube.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

TeamDR1665Jul-05-05 01:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4803, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by ner947
Careful of those tight right turns. If you are at all low on oil you may run dry for a few seconds (extremely bad) due to the design of the oil pan/pickup tube.

I love watching my oil pressure drop from just over 50psi to under 20psi on long, right-hand sweepers at 50mph in town. This is one issue that makes me leary of autoXing Daisy this winter...

First component of the turbo system is the windage tray/pan baffle and oil cooler rig.

HadesOmegaJul-05-05 01:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#4805, "RE: Fuel cut on hard corners during an AUTO-X."
In response to Reply # 6

wow as far as I know I never have problems with oil pressure or fuel starvation during sprited runs don't know why. I always keep the oil topped off though. And while I was at the drift event I never had any problems I remember I spun really bad a couple times and I pulled some pretty high G drifts a couple times. At what PSI is the oil light suppose to come on.

As for autoxing you should try to autox with a full tank of gas it keep the sloshing to a minimum. Only other thing i can think of is your fuel filter, it might be clogged and restricting the fuel going to your engine. Try changing that if anythingi you'll get more throttle response.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4704 Previous topic | Next topic