Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4235
View in linear mode

Subject: "Race tires rule!" Previous topic | Next topic
Moderator992gntJun-14-04 05:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4235, "Race tires rule!"

I've finished ~1 second behind another similarly prepped Evo at the last two auto-x events. He's been running Kumho v700's and I've been on the stock Advans. I finally bought some Kumhos last week, and my first run was 2 seconds slower than him - new tires are greasy! My second run was 3 SECONDS FASTER, his was slower and I think that spooked him. He didn't have a clean run after that and I just kept getting faster. On raw time I was fastest by 3/10ths, but he had a cone on his fastest run. His best corrected time was over a second slower than my best. I was in danger of losing my points lead, but the new tires saved me.

I should have some really good pics from the event, I was sliding/drifting the car just about everywhere - even hitting the rev limiter in second gear a few times. I'll post 'em when I get them.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Race tires rule!, Mattcky2k, Jun-14-04 05:25 AM, #1
RE: Race tires rule!, TeamDR1665, Jun-18-04 09:56 AM, #2
      RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-09-04 06:18 PM, #3
           RE: Race tires rule!, 420AYE, Jul-10-04 05:11 AM, #4
                RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-10-04 09:05 AM, #5
                     RE: Race tires rule!, turbo8u, Jul-10-04 12:00 PM, #6
                          RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-10-04 05:13 PM, #7
                               RE: Race tires rule!, thegame, Jul-10-04 06:08 PM, #8
                                    RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-11-04 05:30 AM, #9
                                         RE: Race tires rule!, Uberingram, Jul-11-04 12:31 PM, #10
                                         RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-11-04 01:33 PM, #11
                                         RE: Race tires rule!, thegame, Jul-12-04 01:59 AM, #12
                                              RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-12-04 03:03 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Race tires rule!, thegame, Jul-12-04 05:49 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-12-04 06:19 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Race tires rule!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-12-04 01:15 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Race tires rule!, TeamDR1665, Jul-12-04 06:53 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Race tires rule!, Moderator992gnt, Jul-13-04 03:08 AM, #18

Mattcky2kJun-14-04 05:25 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4236, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 0

uh oh! better not let mitsubishi find out you auto-X! there was a post in the pits about how there some how finding out who is doing that sort of thing and not giving warranty work done or something, if you haven't read it. but good job man! i'd like to try some auto-x somtime. i've been to a couple events where i live and it looks so freakin' fun!

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jun-18-04 09:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4243, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 1

He knows about that deal and I don't think any real auto-xers are too broken up about it. Shit breaks and they just fix it. Mitsu is not your pit crew. LOL

Sounds like a blast man. Even though the local tech guy said he would let me run with my cracked windshield, I'd rather not subject my sketchy CVs and brakes to such rigorous abuse. Still need to get some stuff taken care of first, then I'll be all over that action here.

I wanna see those pictures too. Bouncing off the rev limiter in second in an EVO means there must have been one seriously quick section of track to run down. Bet you were haulin there.

Moderator992gntJul-09-04 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4314, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 2

Warranty? I don't need no stinkin' warranty! Here's better pics than the auto-x ones - these are from Nelson Ledges Road Course in NE Ohio last friday. Enjoy, I did.

http://home.fuse.net/wallace/EVO/Pics/

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

420AYEJul-10-04 05:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#4317, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 3

NICE!

Your about to eat that teggy for lunch.

Im jealous..very.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Moderator992gntJul-10-04 09:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4318, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 4

There wasn't much there that day that could hang with me, except a C4 Gran Sport and even he was only just about even with me. The 4 Z06's and 1 C3 moved over every time I came up on them, no game at all. Everyone there except the Gran Sport and the RX-7 I passed multiple times and was around 10 or more seconds a lap faster than.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

turbo8uJul-10-04 12:00 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#4319, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-10-04 12:00 PM by turbo8u

badass!!! wish i could have been there id run you for all you're worth, lol i bet you have some incredible driving skills so PROPS on using that evo what it was made to be used for slidin around like a mofo

you know they say the most important nut is the one behind the wheel

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Moderator992gntJul-10-04 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4320, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 6

Well as those Z06's now know, it takes more than 400hp to stay in front of me. Thanks for the kudos! Oh, and picking the rear wheel up in a stock Evo isn't too hard at an auto-x where you usually have very sharp low speed turns. I've doubled the spring rates in the back and added a 25mm adjustable sway bar in the back to help keep all 4 wheels on the road. If you look closely in my sig pic, the right rear tire is off the track - at around 60 mph - with virtually no understeer. The car is so hooked up on the track track it's amazing. Just breathe on the brakes going into a fast sweeper, and the back end steps out just enough to point you in the right direction. If I could afford to do it, I'd be at the track every weekend.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

thegameJul-10-04 06:08 PM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
#4321, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 7

dood, wtf? u should of got ahold of me. n.ledges is like 15min away.
oh well.

^FOR SALE^

Moderator992gntJul-11-04 05:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4322, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm planning on being there again on September 3rd. Bring up the WRX and have some fun.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

UberingramJul-11-04 12:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#4324, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 9

I see the teggy you're tailing. Do you see alot of FWD guys there? If so, what kind of cars?

Moderator992gntJul-11-04 01:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4325, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 10

At that particular event there were:

3 Mustangs (2 with cages)
1 3rd gen RX-7 - Fast in a straight line
1 1st gen RX-7 - SCCA ITA race car
1 C4 Corvette
1 65 Corvette - Trailered in race car
1 Mini Cooper S
1 C4 Gran Sport
4 C4 Z06's
3 Porsche 944's
1 Integra
1 Sentra SE-R
1 95 Eclipse AWD - former One Lap of America car

As you can see there were only a few FWD cars there, but that varies at every event. Usually there are a lot more cars period. A regular DE at a bigger track like Mid-Ohio or Putnam Park will attract 100+ cars. Hell my first instructor drove a Cavalier rental car with 2 year old hoosiers on it - and he was faster than me. If you're thinking about doing one, I would highly recommend it. It is by far the best mod you can do - making yourself a better driver. Don't worry about the FWD thing, it won't make a bit of difference.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

thegameJul-12-04 01:59 AM
1311 posts,
#4327, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-12-04 02:00 AM by thegame

Originally posted by 992gnt
I'm planning on being there again on September 3rd. Bring up the WRX and have some fun.

haha, id like to but ive never done anything like that before. never been on the track. no experience. not even the driving school. nothing. id just get pounded on.

^FOR SALE^

Moderator992gntJul-12-04 03:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4328, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 12

No pounding will go on. Everyone is there for the same reasons - to have fun and learn how handle their car. If you never go, then you will never have experience...

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

thegameJul-12-04 05:49 AM
1311 posts,
#4329, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 13

true. how much does it cost? what all do u have to do? i dont have a helmet either.

^FOR SALE^

Moderator992gntJul-12-04 06:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4330, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 14

It's $120 for the day, and you need a minimum Snell 95 helmet - can be a motorcycle or car helmet. Long pants and a long sleeve shirt. That's it. DE's at other tracks are more expensive and have more stringent requirements, so this is a relative bargain.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-12-04 01:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4331, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 15

Lookin good.

Have you lost weight?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamDR1665Jul-12-04 06:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4332, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 16

$120?!?!?!

Events run less than $40 here even if you're not a member! Damn!

So you're running Hoosiers then? I've heard local guys saying the Azenis are excellent, but don't last too long. And what say you of the always there Victoracers or whatever? Just getting some ideas...

Moderator992gntJul-13-04 03:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4334, "RE: Race tires rule!"
In response to Reply # 17
Jul-13-04 03:15 AM by 992gnt

$40 for a track day or $40 for an auto-x event? $120 is CHEAP for a days worth of track time out here (I got over 100 miles on-track for my $120). On the other hand $40 is pretty expensive for an auto-x; our is $25 for non-members.

I'm running Victoracers (can't afford Hoosiers) on the car now for both track days and auto-x events. I think they are the best all-around, bang for your buck tire. The Hoosier's are real expensive and don't last long, RA-1's won't heat up enough on a typical auto-x course to be totally effective, but they will last a long time on the track. The v700's heat up quickly, and have a decent life on the track and they're way cheaper that Hoosiers and slightly less than RA-1's

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4235 Previous topic | Next topic