Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3301
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nitto Drag Radials" Previous topic | Next topic
RemyAug-04-03 03:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3301, "Nitto Drag Radials"
Aug-04-03 03:43 AM by Remy

Who has used them ? How good are they and are they worth buying ?
Or should I just skip that and go right to slicks?

http://www.BerkshireCountyImports.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Nitto Drag Radials, SEA97GS, Aug-04-03 12:14 PM, #1
RE: Nitto Drag Radials, 808dsmtuner, Aug-04-03 12:18 PM, #2
      RE: Nitto Drag Radials, sonikbewm, Aug-04-03 01:22 PM, #3
           RE: Nitto Drag Radials, 420AYE, Oct-05-03 11:03 AM, #4
                RE: Nitto Drag Radials, HiOnPSI, Oct-16-03 05:11 PM, #5
                     RE: Nitto Drag Radials, Remy, Oct-18-03 07:53 PM, #6
                          RE: Nitto Drag Radials, UDLUZE, Oct-19-03 06:20 AM, #7
                               RE: Nitto Drag Radials, Remy, Oct-19-03 06:43 AM, #8
                               RE: Nitto Drag Radials, Z87RSMan, Oct-19-03 01:54 PM, #9
                                    RE: Nitto Drag Radials, HiOnPSI, Oct-23-03 05:20 AM, #10
                               RE: Nitto Drag Radials, chrysler kid, Oct-23-03 06:56 AM, #11
                                    RE: Nitto Drag Radials, TeamXtremeRS, Oct-23-03 04:32 PM, #12
                                         RE: Nitto Drag Radials, TeamJasonESi_T, Oct-24-03 05:26 AM, #13
                                              RE: Nitto Drag Radials, Moderator992gnt, Oct-24-03 10:51 AM, #14
                                              RE: Nitto Drag Radials, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-24-03 11:39 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Nitto Drag Radials, DSBLK93GT, Nov-10-03 02:32 PM, #16
                                                        RE: Nitto Drag Radials, CarbonFiberRST, Nov-16-03 05:46 PM, #17

SEA97GSAug-04-03 12:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
127 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3307, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 0

Buy either of the BFG drag radials. They are more consistant and you will get better 60' times with them. The best 60' I got on the Nittos was 2.24. I've gotten several 2.1x 60' times on the BFG Comp TA drag radials with a best of 2.15.

Granted, you can't get 16s in the BFGs but you will get a better tire.

97 Eclipse GS-15.463@88.57MPH - RIP
92 Talon TSi AWD-12.927@105.47MPH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

808dsmtunerAug-04-03 12:18 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
665 posts,
#3308, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 1

i say if you dont care about street use go for the slicks i have those on my civic and my clipse(broke half shaft once when i was using n20) but yea my 60 ft times increase by almost .3-.4 seconds and i tried the b/f radial drag tires and believe me those dont compare to slicks. i would get slicks,bogart is my fav lasted the longest for me

hawaii boy

sonikbewmAug-04-03 01:22 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#3309, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 2

I bought some 16" nitto 555r's awhile ago. I haven't had them mounted on my stock wheels yet so I don't know how well they work for me yet.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

420AYEOct-05-03 11:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#3506, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 3

nitto 555R MMmmmm! i want some of them. i have the nitto 460's...450'... i can't remember.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

HiOnPSIOct-16-03 05:11 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#3579, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 4

I have 2 sets of 555R's and netiher hook worth a shit :/

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

RemyOct-18-03 07:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#3588, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by HiOnPSI
I have 2 sets of 555R's and netiher hook worth a shit :/

What ????????????????????????
I heard so many good things about it. You just made me really sad Jon

Member # 333

UDLUZEOct-19-03 06:20 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2002
60 posts,
#3589, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 6

The nittos hook alot better than regular street tires, but if I was to buy another set I would go with the bfgs. The best 60' I've gotten with nitto's is 2.154. They hook at launch, but they break traction at the top of first gear, when the boost comes in. If you run 10 psi or less you should be fine, otherwise spend your money on the bfgs or a set of slicks.

(BUILT SHORTBLOCK, HRC S20G-H W/ FMIC, CRANE 16S, 450 dsm injectors, Chillfactory regulator, 3" EXHAUST, SPEC CLUTCH)

RemyOct-19-03 06:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#3590, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by UDLUZE
The nittos hook alot better than regular street tires, but if I was to buy another set I would go with the bfgs. The best 60' I've gotten with nitto's is 2.154. They hook at launch, but they break traction at the top of first gear, when the boost comes in. If you run 10 psi or less you should be fine, otherwise spend your money on the bfgs or a set of slicks.

Where do I buy those from.

Member # 333

Z87RSManOct-19-03 01:54 PM
Member since Mar 07th 2002
2188 posts,
#3591, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 8

Since you guys are FWD I don't know if this is any help but I've got Nitto 555R and they hook great for me, 60 ft. is around or under 2.0 always. They're pretty cheap and work well, mine are bigger than you can fit (245/45/17)though. Take from this what you will.

Luke

1998 Mustang GT 5-speed
2002 Lone Star Shelby Cobra Replica

HiOnPSIOct-23-03 05:20 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#3615, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 9
Oct-23-03 05:21 AM by HiOnPSI

My friend has the 555R's on his supra, as well.
I don't know from him exactly, but at running 3psi more than stock, he slides down the track with the ass end hanging out.

I'm not really dissing them, i'm down on the fact that i have no type of limited slip.
My best 60' time with them is 2.5.
But like i said earlier, my average 60' times in 55 degree weather, with a full burnout, on 225/50R16 (discontinued) 555R was 2.8.
THey would be great if you were n/a though. I am sure that they would be excellent tires, but i'm holding out for the Quaife next spring.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

chrysler kidOct-23-03 06:56 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#3616, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by UDLUZE

10psi? ehhhhhhhhh? that low? or are you talking about 10psi on a 2gnt?

11.65 @ 115

TeamXtremeRSOct-23-03 04:32 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#3617, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 11
Oct-23-03 04:35 PM by XtremeRS

The Nitto's should hook rather well for you. Now you wont be able to launch the hell out of the car like it was on slicks, but it should be better than most street tires. Also, any RWD car will have better hookup because of weight transfer. When you launch a car, the weight shifts back to the rear, where it helps to plant the rear wheels down. In a FWD, the same weight transfer happens, but now it lifts the entire front end up, taking the wheels and tires with it, along with your traction. IMO, good suspension setup will be most benificial with ANY tire. A higher stance in the rear, lower stance in the front, good adjsutable struts in the rear, set as stiff as then can go, along with stiff springs, and soft adjustment in the front for shock setting. A good limited slip diff will help greatly too, this way, you have BOTH tires gripping, instead of fighting eachother for traction.. Also, run with as little gas as you can, and try to keep as much weight out of the back end as possible. Mate these mods with some good tires, and you turbo guys should have no problem getting at least a 2.0 60 ft time. Of course, you as the driver have to know how to launch the car good as well. It is very, very difficult to do with a turbo FWD car. Just takes lots of practice and getting to know your car. Pulling sub 2.0 60 fts is entirely possible deeming your car is set up right, the right tires, and the right skills to do so. Its been proven that for every tenth you take off your 60 ft time, you take off 2 tenths in your end 1/4 time.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamJasonESi_TOct-24-03 05:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#3618, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 12

Well, I tried to run 20 psi down the track the other night on regular Kumho street tires and I couldn't grip in 3rd gear!! At 15 psi, I had no problem.

I may have to try these out (or somethign comparable) just to stay on the track.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Moderator992gntOct-24-03 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#3619, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 13

I used 17x7.5 wheels (needed to clear the TCE 13" front brakes) with Kuhmo v700 auto-x tires on them. Consistent 2.1-2.2 60' times running about 18psi in the tires. I still have them sitting in my basement if anyone is interested...

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-24-03 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3620, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by JasonESi_T
Well, I tried to run 20 psi down the track the other night on regular Kumho street tires and I couldn't grip in 3rd gear!! At 15 psi, I had no problem. I may have to try these out (or somethign comparable) just to stay on the track.

What did you run?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

DSBLK93GTNov-10-03 02:32 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#3659, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 15

I run 14-15psi in my Nitto's. Gotta get them HOT...very hot to stick. Mine actually hooked better with them almost shot, they look like slicks almost now. They are awesome on the street, I barely spin in 2nd normally where as with a regualr tire I'd be spinning in 3rd gear easy. My best 60ft was a 1.90 and I also got a 1.91 . All my other were in the 2.0-2.1 range mostly. You have to slip it a little at 1st then nail it when they have grabbed. I got a 2.27 60ft with stock 185/14's on my old 89 Probe!! Alot is in the driver. They are not even close to slicks though.

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

CarbonFiberRSTNov-16-03 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#3681, "RE: Nitto Drag Radials"
In response to Reply # 16
Nov-16-03 05:55 PM by CarbonFiberRST

this is like my second post... hehe

uh in my 99 rs with hahn stage II runnin 8 psi and a 3inch thermal catback and fmic(but i have 8.8:1 je pistons and crower rods, stage 2.5? ) and kuhmo 711's running 30.5 psi ( i checked them after a few runs when i remembered to let air out) i got a 2.232 60ft time, and it bogged slightly at the end of first, like after the tires began to grip... (for my launches i just dumped the clutch at 4000 and floored it...)

r/t 0.651
60' 2.232
330 6.275
1/8 9.657 n/a i ran a best of 10.59; my AC and PS belt broke on this run
MPH 72.68
1000 12.567
1/4 15.027 n/a i ran a 16.5...
MPH 91.37
(this was with the 30.5 psi pressure in the 711's on 17x7 adr dv-8 wheels)

made 1 run with 18.5 psi with almost identical time but somewhere down the track my friends said they heard a loud metalic clanging sound so i parked it the rest of the night and hoped i could make it the hour and a half drive home. i made it and hadn't had any sign of problems since then...

you can check out my car at www.sounddomain.com/id/carbonfiberrst
and don't hate on the riced out front end i got the fenders due to an accident with my friend for free and uh well if it helps i wish it was all stock looking now...
(i know it sucks i was very disappointed, i was hoping for at least mid to high 14's and some people told me my 60' time sucked and with drag radials i should get near a 1.8 60' time...)

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3301 Previous topic | Next topic