Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2772
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?" Previous topic | Next topic
thegameApr-30-03 03:23 AM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2772, "Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"

Instead of shifting at a certain rpm...... couldnt you shift at a certain mph? Im asking this because my tach doesnt work. And I prob wont be able to fix it for a while. And I want to go to the track again soon, but I wanna see if shifting at maybe a certain mph would help me out? Instead of just taking it to the end of each gear. If so, what mph in 1st, 2nd should I shift at? Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, ModeratorVX100, Apr-30-03 04:52 AM, #1
RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, BaseJaxx, Apr-30-03 07:15 AM, #2
      RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, EclipseRST, Apr-30-03 09:14 AM, #3
           RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, Collente, Apr-30-03 12:08 PM, #4
                RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, likestofloorit, Apr-30-03 08:13 PM, #5
                     RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, WickedESi, May-06-03 07:13 PM, #6
                     RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, Mystic511, May-08-03 10:31 PM, #7
                     RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, Cereal5, May-19-03 08:11 AM, #8
                          RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, Twiste, May-20-03 04:25 AM, #9
                               RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, sdl32, May-23-03 07:27 AM, #10
                                    RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, FlyinEsi, Jun-07-03 07:27 PM, #11
                                         RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, sdl32, Jun-09-03 02:36 PM, #12
                                              RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?, EclipseRST, Jun-11-03 06:31 AM, #13

ModeratorVX100Apr-30-03 04:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2773, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sure, as long as you know what RPM equals what MPH in the proper gear.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BaseJaxxApr-30-03 07:15 AM
Member since Apr 05th 2003
73 posts,
#2777, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 1

Shite man i rarely look at my tach, i just do it by sound and gut, as long as your not blastig music and you are used to your car you should know when to shift

EclipseRSTApr-30-03 09:14 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#2778, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah you could.

For our cars I think it's...

0-30 1st
30-60 2nd
60-90 3rd
90-130 4th

After 130 my tires blow...stupid 14's...

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

CollenteApr-30-03 12:08 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#2781, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 3

^^^ Exactly what he said.

Nick

likestoflooritApr-30-03 08:13 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
#2787, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 4

not sure if u r talking about everyday driving but when i race i shift when i hit the rev limiter in first (39ish) and 60 in second and like 93 in third

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

WickedESiMay-06-03 07:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2828, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 5

Most lower model manual honda's (hah) don't come w/ tachs, and even some 2gnt's didn't come w/ factory tachs (the model below the rs, the base models).

Mystic511May-08-03 10:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#2845, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 6
May-08-03 10:31 PM by Mystic511

first is higher then 30 mph, it's probably more like 35. Top of second (since i'm being nit picky anyway ) is about 62.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Cereal5May-19-03 08:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#2884, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 5

>not sure if u r talking about everyday driving but when i
>race i shift when i hit the rev limiter in first (39ish) and
>60 in second and like 93 in third

You hit your rev limiter every time you race?!

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

TwisteMay-20-03 04:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#2890, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 8

ok, this is the truth, 1st gear hits exactly 40 at rev limiter so shift between 30 and 35 there. 2nd gear hits exactly 60 at rev limiter so shift between 50 and 55. 3rd gear hits exactly 90 at rev limiter so shift at about 80 and go from there. you probably wont be going above 4th gear in 1/4 mile.

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

sdl32May-23-03 07:27 AM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
45 posts,
#2916, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 9

the last couple times i checked my cars MPH compared to rpms is in first gear i only went to 20mph, in 2nd i hit 60mph and 3rd i hit 98mph before i red lined....then while i was on the highway in fourth gear i hit 128mph or so and i coulda kept going but my friend in his cavalier was far behind and he needed to catch up. all i have is an AEM short ram and a pro 1 cat back. the reason why i check the MPH and RPMs was cuz my friend who is cocky as hell has a neon RT and he was bragging his car did 95mph in 3rd gear..haha well i beat him

sdl32

FlyinEsiJun-07-03 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#2994, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 10

>the last couple times i checked my cars MPH compared to rpms
>is in first gear i only went to 20mph, in 2nd i hit 60mph and
>3rd i hit 98mph before i red lined....then while i was on the
>highway in fourth gear i hit 128mph or so and i coulda kept
>going but my friend in his cavalier was far behind and he
>needed to catch up. all i have is an AEM short ram and a pro
>1 cat back. the reason why i check the MPH and RPMs was cuz
>my friend who is cocky as hell has a neon RT and he was
>bragging his car did 95mph in 3rd gear..haha well i beat him
>
>sdl32

Man, you got something way wrong if you are only getting to 20 mph in 1st, you should be going about 35-40

2gnt.fullwormage.com/files/apexiexhaust/

sdl32Jun-09-03 02:36 PM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
45 posts,
#2997, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 11

>Man, you got something way wrong if you are only getting to 20
>mph in 1st, you should be going about 35-40

there is nothing wrong with my car.. i said i only went to 20mph..didn't say it was as fast as i could go..i know i can go about 40mph...just didn't feel the need to put that much pressure on my car when i didn't have to...

sdl32

EclipseRSTJun-11-03 06:31 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#3002, "RE: Shifting at MPH instead of rpms?"
In response to Reply # 12

Damn, you guys push your cars really hard. Doesn't our power band end around 6500? What's all this hitting rev limiter and shifting at redline stuff?

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2772 Previous topic | Next topic