Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2766
View in linear mode

Subject: "Double clutching question" Previous topic | Next topic
99_Eclipz_ryderApr-29-03 07:58 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2003
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2766, "Double clutching question"

I have just recently purchased a 99 Eclipse Rs, and I have asked many people in my town on how to double clutch but I dont really believe they know what they are talking about. I think this would be the best place to find out. Will someone please explain to me exactly how to double clutch thanks

Jason

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Double clutching question, Dark Ringleader, Apr-29-03 08:20 PM, #1
RE: Double clutching question, Malenko, Apr-29-03 08:23 PM, #2
      RE: Double clutching question, TeamDR1665, Apr-29-03 08:41 PM, #3
           RE: Double clutching question, distort, Apr-29-03 11:10 PM, #4
                RE: Double clutching question, Attrayant, Apr-30-03 02:54 AM, #5
                     RE: Double clutching question, ModeratorVX100, Apr-30-03 04:55 AM, #6
                          RE: Double clutching question, EclipseRST, Apr-30-03 09:19 AM, #7
                          RE: Double clutching question, eclipser96gs, Apr-30-03 11:20 AM, #8
                               RE: Double clutching question, invaznGST, Apr-30-03 02:18 PM, #9
                                    RE: Double clutching question, likestofloorit, Apr-30-03 08:12 PM, #10
                                         RE: Double clutching question, Twiste, May-01-03 04:02 AM, #11
                                              RE: Double clutching question, 96eclipse2nr, May-01-03 12:50 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Double clutching question, WickedESi, May-05-03 09:29 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Double clutching question, tireg, May-05-03 12:33 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Double clutching question, WickedESi, May-07-03 04:36 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Double clutching question, HadesOmega, May-20-03 11:10 PM, #16
                          RE: Double clutching question, Hamgumball, May-25-03 10:09 PM, #20
RE: Double clutching question, distort, May-24-03 06:58 AM, #17
RE: Double clutching question, ClipseRST, May-24-03 05:40 PM, #18
      RE: Double clutching question, distort, May-25-03 06:43 AM, #19

Dark RingleaderApr-29-03 08:20 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2767, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok Brian Spilner

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MalenkoApr-29-03 08:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#2768, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 1

Double-clutching is the right way to downshift at a high speed and not place excessive wear on the trannys synchros. It lets you go down to a much lower gear without the tell-tale lurch you normally get when the clutch is let out after downshifting

TeamDR1665Apr-29-03 08:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#2769, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 2

Have you been "granny shifting, not double clutching like ya should?" hehe

distortApr-29-03 11:10 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2003
675 posts,
#2770, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 3

i got told by a guy i burned (he was driving a civic si) the other night that he only lost because he wasnt double clutching...

96 Eclipse GS

AttrayantApr-30-03 02:54 AM
Member since May 25th 2003
286 posts,
#2771, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 4

>i got told by a guy i burned (he was driving a civic si) the
>other night that he only lost because he wasnt double
>clutching...

Double clutching is used only when downshifting, and wouldn't make a difference in race. Especially if you raced from a dead stop. Anyways, to double clutch, say your crusing at about 60mph in 5th gear. Push in the clutch, shift to neutral, release the clutch, hit the gas and bring the rpms up, push in the clutch, shift to the lower gear, release the clutch. All this is done much faster then it sounds. If you do it right, you'll notice a much smoother downshift.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS - Sold
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

ModeratorVX100Apr-30-03 04:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2774, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 5

You can double clutch while upshifting or downshifting.

With cars today there is no point in double clutching unless your synchros have gone bad. That's why you have synchros, so you don't have to double clutch. And there is no point in saving wear on the synchros, since for normal driving and with proper tranny maintenance synchros should last quite a long time.

So, unless you are driving a 1950s packard or studebaker, or you lost a synchro, don't worry about it.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

EclipseRSTApr-30-03 09:19 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#2779, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 6

I never understood the "double" part of it. Couldn't you just leave the clutch in the whole time? The definition of double clutching says you clutch, shift to neutral, rev, clutch, downshift, go. Why can't you just clutch, rev, downshift, release clutch, and go? Were you not able to do this in the older manuals or something?

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

eclipser96gsApr-30-03 11:20 AM
Member since Apr 21st 2003
20 posts,
#2780, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 7

all i do is push in clutch in one step and next step is rev adn downshift at same time, VERY smooth shift! 2 step process

Michael
96 GS--pain in the ass

invaznGSTApr-30-03 02:18 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#2782, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 8

FAST AND FURIOUS STYLE!

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

likestoflooritApr-30-03 08:12 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
#2786, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 9

all i do when i start in first gear onnce i get to 3k rpms i hold the gas and slamm the clutch to the floor to give it some pick up..i do this also gonig into third if i am racing or if i am bogging down in a gear say if i am going 60 i cant shift into second for a down shift i shift into third and then hold the gas as i am going and slamm the clutch down...im sure this is bad for everypart of your car and i cant spell so dont mention that stuff. hehe

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

TwisteMay-01-03 04:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#2790, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 10

you do it 2 times because on old clutches you had to do it 2 times to get the synchros to line up straight.

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

96eclipse2nrMay-01-03 12:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#2793, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 11

hey guys, back off. i dont recall him commin on here talking all F&F shit. he asked a serious question. if you dont have anything good to contribute to the question just stfu.

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

WickedESiMay-05-03 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2816, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 12

No...

The reason you have to clutch and switch to neutral have the clutch released when you rev the car is the hole point... to get the internals of the tranny up to speed. If you were just to rev w/ the clutch pressed in your save your clutch but not the transmission, when correctly double clutching you heavily save wear on both the clutch and transmission when downshifting.

tiregMay-05-03 12:33 PM
Member since Dec 10th 2002
800 posts,
#2818, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah double clutching is pretty much what they said ^^^
but while it may or may not save wear on your synchros an whatnot i do it because you get a smoother shift and no jerk. the saving wear part is a bonu

WickedESiMay-07-03 04:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2830, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 14

It saves wear on everything (clutch, syncros, tranny gears, etc...) if you do it just right you won't put virtually any wear on your syncros, because your not using them.

HadesOmegaMay-20-03 11:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#2904, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 15

yep its for a smooth transition into the lower gear. It helps prevent wear and tear on your tranny and clutch. It also helps you entercorners at precision weight balance. Notice when you downshift and dump the clutch the car jerks violently, this upsets the cars balance. I've been explaining this way too much I'm sure you coulda found this using the search engine.

THe other method of smooth downshifting is heel and toe. That is when you rotate your foot from the brake pedal while braking and blip the throttle with your foot. Its a much quicker and more difficult motion than double clutching which makes it better while cornering.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

HamgumballMay-25-03 10:09 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
419 posts,
#2937, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 6

>You can double clutch while upshifting or downshifting.
>
>With cars today there is no point in double clutching unless
>your synchros have gone bad. That's why you have synchros, so
>you don't have to double clutch. And there is no point in
>saving wear on the synchros, since for normal driving and with
>proper tranny maintenance synchros should last quite a long
>time.
>
>So, unless you are driving a 1950s packard or studebaker, or
>you lost a synchro, don't worry about it.

A Mercedes mechanic of at least 20 years experience told me this exact same thing. Double clutching is only with cars that have bad or no synchros.

distortMay-24-03 06:58 AM
675 posts,
#2921, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 0
May-24-03 07:00 AM by distort

i got told again yesterday i needed to learn how to double shift... i was about to race and was like 'nah you will prolly win ill blow my launch', 'well dude you need to learn how to double shift you will do better on your launch'.

96 Eclipse GS

ClipseRSTMay-24-03 05:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
#2923, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 17

First remember that 90% of the people who race on streets are idiots. (not saying its because they race on streets but because thats really all they do) They dont know anything about real racing. I have discovered that many people call what I call "power shifting" (Never taking foot off the gas when shifting) Double clutching... Makes no sence... And not to bring up F&F but none of those damn kids, the ones who think a tree is a stop light, you hear say anything about double clutching knew those words before F&F. I would suggest next time you see the idiot you ask him how to do it and listen to the lack of knowledge pour out of his mouth.

On a side note I cant wait till 2F2F to come out on june 6 so we all can have another big laugh.

distortMay-25-03 06:43 AM
675 posts,
#2924, "RE: Double clutching question"
In response to Reply # 18

i did ask him, but i didnt quite follow his instructions they didnt make sense hehe. kinda like 'do this, but do that, and do this while you do that, and you should shift and knock like 4 secs of your 1/4 time) and yes he really said that

96 Eclipse GS

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2766 Previous topic | Next topic