Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2337
View in linear mode

Subject: "auto-x/roadrace people look here" Previous topic | Next topic
96eclipse2nrFeb-09-03 05:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2337, "auto-x/roadrace people look here"

well, i have made up my mind. i dont want my car to be a 1/4 mile car, i want to handle. i may go to some auto-x events, but not like im gonna go race alot...just want the good handling capabilities. right now, i have a question more related to the engine. i have read in many magazines and online articles that low end touque is the best because you rarley ever get out of 3rd gear...is this that true for our cars?? i have a high flow cat and i know i have lost low end torque...will this hurt me at all?? should i swap someone for the stocker cat and gain some backpressure? what about rims...what are some good rims that look good but are also functionable by putting down pretty good contact pach?? i dont want anything bigger than 17's. anyways, any help is much appreciated. im lookin to get coilovers/shocks in the near future...are tokiko's pretty good?? one guy i know who auto-x's has tokikos, but id like some others opinions as well! thank!

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, ModeratorVX100, Feb-10-03 09:23 AM, #1
RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, juggalo, Feb-14-03 11:19 PM, #2
RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, fasterGS, Feb-17-03 03:19 PM, #3
      RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, ModeratorVX100, Feb-18-03 05:07 AM, #4
           RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, fasterGS, Feb-18-03 07:19 AM, #5
                RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, discount_tyr420a, Feb-24-03 08:34 AM, #6
                RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, ModeratorVX100, Feb-25-03 04:55 AM, #7
                     RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here, HadesOmega, Mar-13-03 09:20 AM, #8

ModeratorVX100Feb-10-03 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2341, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 0

>handling capabilities. right now, i have a question more
>related to the engine. i have read in many magazines and
>online articles that low end touque is the best because you
>rarley ever get out of 3rd gear...is this that true for our
>cars??

Yes, the last time I autocrossed I think I used third gear for a little bit, but most of an autocross is spent in 2nd gear from 3000-6000 rpms or so. You rarely get up to or over 50mph in an autocross, and even then only briefly.

i have a high flow cat and i know i have lost low end
>torque...will this hurt me at all??

I did not notice a low end loss with my high flow cat.

should i swap someone for
>the stocker cat and gain some backpressure?

No, I would not bother. And stop using the word "backpressure" or I'll have to run you over If you want the whole backpressure lecture (more like scolding) I can send it to you or post it elsewhere, since this is the racing section.

what about
>rims...what are some good rims that look good but are also
>functionable by putting down pretty good contact pach?? i dont
>want anything bigger than 17's.

Focus on getting LIGHT rims. A 16 inch rim that is light and fairly wide would be the best. Actually, the wider the rim the better, it will support the tire better in corners. You could get 17s, but I have not had a problem autocrossing with 16 inch rims and 225/50 tires, the sidewalls didn't fold over once and they aren't even Z rated, they are V rated, so there were no steel sidewall inserts like Z rated tires have.

I think you could get away with a 16 inch rim, as wide as you can get (like the RX-7 rims Ihave, they are 8 inches wide), keep the rim light, and get a good set of performance tires, either 205/55s, 215/50s or 225/50. That would be my suggestion.

anyways, any help is much
>appreciated. im lookin to get coilovers/shocks in the near
>future...are tokiko's pretty good?? one guy i know who
>auto-x's has tokikos, but id like some others opinions as
>well! thank!

Tokicos will do nicely.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

juggaloFeb-14-03 11:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#2353, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 0

>appreciated. im lookin to get coilovers/shocks in the near
>future...are tokiko's pretty good??

unless you mean real coilovers, like the $1500-2000 ones get a good set of springs.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

fasterGSFeb-17-03 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2358, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-17-03 03:25 PM by fasterGS

I went road racing with my car and I was surprised. All I have are Tokico blues, goldline springs and 17" enkei wheels with 215 55 17 tires (h rated hehe) I did notice my tires were rolling over a bit but it wasn't too bad. The best advice I can give is to make sure your brakes are up to par. If you still have the stock brakes on you will know, cuz they will fade with a quickness. On the road track I went to I was getting up to 80 on the back straightaway, and that led to a 180 degree turn. You don't want your brakes failing when you hit something like that.

My suspension could have been quite a bit better but I held my own pretty good. I was even faster on the track that a 2g AWD talon (automatic) He would pull away on the straightaways but I had him in every turn. He eventually had to let me pass. I was also passing some older Porsches and stuff too. I had so much fun, it was a rush.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you want to be any good at either auto-x or road racing I would also recommend some sort of sway bars. Either snatch some off a GSX or buy some upgraded ones. This is almost a must have...

ModeratorVX100Feb-18-03 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2360, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 3

>I went road racing with my car and I was surprised. All I
>have are Tokico blues, goldline springs and 17" enkei wheels
>with 215 55 17 tires (h rated hehe) I did notice my tires were
>My suspension could have been quite a bit better but I held my
>own pretty good. I was even faster on the track that a 2g AWD
>talon (automatic) He would pull away on the straightaways but
>I had him in every turn. He eventually had to let me pass. I
>was also passing some older Porsches and stuff too. I had so
>much fun, it was a rush.

Now that's nice! That is what it's all about, running better times than a faster car

>EDIT: Oh yeah, if you want to be any good at either auto-x or
>road racing I would also recommend some sort of sway bars.
>Either snatch some off a GSX or buy some upgraded ones. This
>is almost a must have...

I'd get upgraded ones, the rear bar from a GS-T is better, but they are the same up front. And, GSX sway bars might not fit (not sure about that).

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

fasterGSFeb-18-03 07:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2361, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 4

The GSX/TSI sway bars do fit, one of the local guys around here has em on his GS.

Hey Todd, while we are on the subject, what are the best sway bars to go with? Ive been looking because the next racing season begins in april and I want to be ready. So far I am looking the suspension techniques and the RMDSM bars. The ST are cheaper but the front bar is the same size as stock (.75")

Or what would your advice be as far as my next suspension mod? I am fairly happy with my setup other than the tires. I was looking at either the sway bars, probably rmdsm or the prothane bushing kit from RRE.

discount_tyr420aFeb-24-03 08:34 AM
Member since Jul 28th 2002
237 posts,
#2375, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 5

^^^^like he said...get some sway bars mos def, cuz that will take out alot of your body roll. if you cant afford coilovers...i have eibach sportlines with KYB AGX. the agx are adjustable so you can fine tune your stiffness, and believe me it works. im with all of you tho, anyone can have a fast car, it takes a real driver to be able to really 'drive' and control the car(no offense to anyone).

1995 RS AT w/196,000 mile
KYB AGX w/Eibach Sportline($485.0 )
10.3mm OBX wires
NGK Plugs
18" Konig Elan
225/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport
Toucan Muffler w/2.5" catback
OBX Header w/ hollowed kitty
Port/Polished Head w/ SS Valves

to come...
lambo doors possibly

ModeratorVX100Feb-25-03 04:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2379, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 5

>The GSX/TSI sway bars do fit, one of the local guys around
>here has em on his GS.

Good information to know.

>Hey Todd, while we are on the subject, what are the best sway
>bars to go with? Ive been looking because the next racing
>season begins in april and I want to be ready. So far I am
>looking the suspension techniques and the RMDSM bars. The ST
>are cheaper but the front bar is the same size as stock
>(.75")

I can't be sure as to which will be better, I don't think you could go wrong with either one compared to stock. Maybe the RMDSM ones since you said the ST front bar is the same as stock, a larger bar will be stiffer and do a better job.

>Or what would your advice be as far as my next suspension mod?
>I am fairly happy with my setup other than the tires. I was
>looking at either the sway bars, probably rmdsm or the
>prothane bushing kit from RRE.

If you don't want new tires, then I'd get sway bars before suspension bushings. If I remember correctly some of those suspension bushings are a major pain to install. I think you will notice the improvement from sway bars more, and they will be easier to install.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

HadesOmegaMar-13-03 09:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#2496, "RE: auto-x/roadrace people look here"
In response to Reply # 7

get some good springs and shox if you don't got em already, if you have stock shox they're probably blown anyway mine were. I suggest getting adjustable shox too so you can tune the way the car handles. i wouldn't worry about brakes too much if you NT. Also get the best tires you can get.

The brakes on the 2GNT are plenty good you just need skills to take full advantage of them like heel to toe and engine braking, but then again you don't really use those techniques in autox. If you really worried about fading getting some good pads like metal masters is a good idea, i had them when I was turboe'd and I rarely faded them even after spirited mountain runs they even withstood left foot braking.

also if your goal is to just do autox, don't get caught up in modding your car, you don't need mods to autox. Its better to learn to drive a crappy car during autox than a modified one that way you really appreciate what you can with more mods when you get em. AutoX is all about learning how to control your car.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2337 Previous topic | Next topic