Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1605
View in linear mode

Subject: "Me and a 97 GT Mustang" Previous topic | Next topic
red98eclipseRSJul-29-02 06:34 PM
Member since May 23rd 2002
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1605, "Me and a 97 GT Mustang"

welp for starters a question? what do the 97 mustang gt's have under their hood? i know its gotta be pretty good.. but i'm not exactly sure for that car, i know the 01's got like 305 hp on a v8 or somtin same with the old school 5.0's (which is the only other car i have respect for ) so if u know.. let me know..
now to the ride. coming home from work a mustang pulls up to me.. so fine and dandy.. i'm jammin tunes, he's jammin tunes.. cept mines just a bit more bassier.. lol.. i look over its him and his girl..cool.. no biggie.. i'm just driving home right? so anyhow light turns green.. and i'm wondering if he's wanting to race.
so i just see if he picks up and i'll pick up right along with him. he does. we were side by side.. and he finally got a lil edge on me.. just a nose though.. and i shifted into 2nd. at about 6700 rpm, and let out a loud bark.. i think that impressed his g/f.. haha cuz at this time i seen her leanin forward and lookin at me.. lmao... finally i let off at about 65 (right after shifting into 3rd) and the car pulls up some.. i see on the back dual exhaust and "Mustang GT" at first i was about to cry cuz i thought it was just a regular mustang v6.. but then i almost made a mess in my pants.. i had just held up with a mustang gt pretty swell.. in the end he had me maybe by a nose or it was damn close to a tie.. me and my lil stock rs... or so i think its stock.. (another guy did have it b4 me) in which he took awesome care of it..and still had all the receipts of tune ups and what not. and had a hellacious entertainment center in it also (dvd, a few amps blah blah.. of course he took it with him.. but i added my own stuff) so i'm really wondering if he did anything with this car.. i've never raced at a drag or anything. not sure what my 1/4 mile time would be but i'm almost positive its gotta be low 15's.. a friend counted me off once and i was doing like 87 right at 14 seconds.. not sure what that means.. but thats with quite a rip into second. keep in mind these are acurate times we did... could be less could be more... but i can set still and roast my tires with no e-brake.. not sure what that means either.. but this car has some spunk too it least to me it does. just thought i'd feeel u in on my nice story.. haha no i do'nt drive it like hell all the time.. rarely do.. normally do most my shifting at 2500-3000.. and if i'm hurrying 3500 racing? redlinin.. lol anyhow.. thats my story

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, fatchance, Jul-30-02 12:58 AM, #1
RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, red98eclipseRS, Jul-30-02 02:35 AM, #2
RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, EclipseTical, Jul-30-02 03:37 AM, #3
      RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, SaberKhan, Jul-30-02 07:37 AM, #4
           RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, j92, Jul-30-02 09:53 AM, #5
                RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, fatchance, Jul-30-02 02:16 PM, #6
                RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, EclipseTical, Jul-30-02 11:38 PM, #7
                     RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, SaberKhan, Jul-31-02 06:04 AM, #8
                          RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, fatchance, Jul-31-02 06:32 AM, #9
                          RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, EclipseTical, Jul-31-02 06:41 AM, #10
                               RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, SaberKhan, Jul-31-02 12:19 PM, #11
                                    RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, fatchance, Jul-31-02 02:20 PM, #12
                                         RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, red98eclipseRS, Jul-31-02 04:21 PM, #13
                                         RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, JXNs ECLIPSE, Jul-31-02 06:53 PM, #14
                                         RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, EclipseTical, Jul-31-02 11:33 PM, #15
                                              RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, red98eclipseRS, Aug-01-02 01:46 AM, #16
                                                   RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, DSBLK93GT, Aug-01-02 01:54 PM, #17
                                                        RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, SaberKhan, Aug-01-02 03:22 PM, #18
                                                             RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, DSBLK93GT, Aug-02-02 03:37 AM, #19
                                                                  RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, eclipse_99rs, Aug-02-02 03:46 PM, #20
                                                                       RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang, invaznGST, Aug-11-02 12:28 PM, #21

fatchanceJul-30-02 12:58 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1606, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 0

Hate to burst your bubble, but he wasn't racing. a V8 will kill our cars stock. not trying to be a prick or anything, that's just the way it goes.

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

red98eclipseRSJul-30-02 02:35 AM
75 posts,
#1607, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 0

Well i hate to say your full of it, but your full of it, speed limit was 35 mph down this road and we were doing 65 and this was practically right after the light turned green... so not to hate on fellow dsmerz but i really do'nt think you should try to change the story if you wasn't there... i heard his car, it was running in high revs.... not trying to back talk, i just want some one to legitmitally answer my question about what it has under the hood... also this wasn't a 40 yr guy with his wife, this kid was prolly 21 with his 19 yr g/f.. i dont think he was planning on losing... thanks again.

EclipseTicalJul-30-02 03:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#1608, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 2

>Well i hate to say your full of it, but your full of it,
>speed limit was 35 mph down this road and we were doing 65
>and this was practically right after the light turned
>green... so not to hate on fellow dsmerz but i really do'nt
>think you should try to change the story if you wasn't
>there... i heard his car, it was running in high revs....
>not trying to back talk, i just want some one to
>legitmitally answer my question about what it has under the
>hood... also this wasn't a 40 yr guy with his wife, this kid
>was prolly 21 with his 19 yr g/f.. i dont think he was
>planning on losing... thanks again.
>green... so not to hate on fellow dsmerz but i really do'nt
>think you should try to change the story if you wasn't
>there... i heard his car, it was running in high revs....
>not trying to back talk, i just want some one to
>legitmitally answer my question about what it has under the
>hood... also this wasn't a 40 yr guy with his wife, this kid
>was prolly 21 with his 19 yr g/f.. i dont think he was
>planning on losing... thanks again.

1997 mustang gt:
Engine: 4.6 litre, 8-cylinder, overhead-cam, 215 horsepower (this is bone stock)
your rs has about 140. All v8 mustangs sound like they are in high rev even at 3000 rpm. I seriously doubt the 'stang was actually racing you, or if he was he 1/4 throttled you. My best friend has a 97 gt that hands me my ass any and all times i race him. Unless you have a ton of mods you are not listing , a '97 v8 mustng will walk your bone stock rs unless the other driver sucks real bad. HEll, the audio equipment you have listed isn't helping you out either. There is at least 1 board member who tunes stangs (DSBLK93GT i think) and he would be able to tell you for sure. He knows his shit about stangs. And you should not be so quick to flame, it's not wise to criticize others. You never know who you will offend that might be helpful to you. If you did beat that stang and he was actually racing you, good job for you but it is very doubtful that happened.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

SaberKhanJul-30-02 07:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#1609, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 3

Also, counting with a watch, or whether its on your fingers is *not* accurate. Remember, 1/4 mile runs are usually measured in 1/10th's. Can you accurately break down a 1/10th of a second on your fingers? Only way to find out is to go to the track, then send us a slip. Everyone used to doubt me when I got on the board years ago, but I went to the track and got a slip. Hell, even then people still hated on me. Then I posted pictures of my car ON the track with the time on the board. Until you show some proof, people will not believe. Hell, I need to go back again just to bust some low 15's. This humid S.E. Texas heat is horrible though. Good luck.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

j92Jul-30-02 09:53 AM
Member since Jun 20th 2002
77 posts,
#1610, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 4

A *possibility* is that the so-called 'GT' was just a regular V6 'stang with all of the fake emblems. A stock MT Eclipse could definitely hang with (if not beat) a V6 AT Mustang.

Jay

Jay | Black '98 GS

AEM CAI ... NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs ... Motor mount inserts (not yet installed) ... Test pipe (not yet installed) ... Apexi N1 muffler (not yet installed)

fatchanceJul-30-02 02:16 PM
761 posts,
#1611, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 5

true, but if a v8 stang got on it, he's gone. I was behind one today coming up 28 from work, the fooker was going nutz! way to much power for an I4 to handle NA.

1995 RS

EclipseTicalJul-30-02 11:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#1612, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 5

true, if it was a v6 you definitely *could've* beat that guy. V8's are nasty cars, especially stangs. Good kill if it is the V8. Get some mods and you will definitely have a better chance at beating a v8 stang

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

SaberKhanJul-31-02 06:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#1613, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 7

Truth be told, theyre not that nasty. Also, if it was a a/t V6, you wouldve raped it. The 97' V6 Stangs had 150hp in a 3400lb body. Blah. As for the 97 GT, theyre not bat outta hell fast. My best friend (superdavegst) had a 97 GT 5 speed with exhaust an a K&N. He and I used to duke it out constantly. Througout 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear we'd be pulling back and forth. Come 4th gear and 110mph, I'd start slowly pulling on his ass Dont believe me? I'll happily have him post on this thread I am the reason he no longer has the Stang, and now owns an Eclipse.

1996 RS 5-speed

fatchanceJul-31-02 06:32 AM
761 posts,
#1614, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 8

I believe you Jake, but this guy says he waited to see if the stang was gonna get on it. do you think that if you let a GT get the jump on you in a bone stock RS(and let's not forget, your car in particular is what, one in 10k maybe that runs 15's stock?) that you would win? and yes, if it was a a/t V6 he woulda schooled it. hell even the 01 v6's ain't shit. but assuming this guy has a normal RS with no mods and 2 12's in the trunk it just doesn't add up.

1995 RS

EclipseTicalJul-31-02 06:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#1615, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 8

never claimed they were bat outta hell fast but you can't deny that GT stangs are faster than a bone stock nt eclipse. I believe you too jake but you don't count, as your sig says you own "the factory freak" so of course you should be able to bash a mustang or 2. i admit that anything is possible in a road race but most v8 mustangs will not lose to a bone stock rs eclipse unless the 'stang driver falls asleep, sucks at driving, or dies while driving. If he really waited for the mustang to punch it first, like he says he did, he wouldn't have caught up to the stang so fast if the stang was truly balling like the story implies. Also, i don't think i've ever seen a mustang that wasn't dual exhaust regardless of the engine. Could be wrong though.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

SaberKhanJul-31-02 12:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#1616, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 10

I completely agree with you guys. The only reason I responded was because it was making stock 97 GT's sound like monsters, and the that you "might" have a chance if it was a a/t V6. Other than that, I completely agree. If a stock RS with stereo equipment let a GT get the jump, bye-bye. A stock GT will romp on a stock RS. Thats just how it is.

1996 RS 5-speed

fatchanceJul-31-02 02:20 PM
761 posts,
#1617, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 11

Well as long as we all agree that I'm right

yeah, mid 90's auto v6's have a special place in my heart right next to civics.

1995 RS

red98eclipseRSJul-31-02 04:21 PM
75 posts,
#1618, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 12

I'm back.. thanx factory freak.. someone who is a lil understanding of my story.. and u never know.. maybe my eclipse is one of 10k too and also. i didn't wait for him to punch it
we gradually picked up beside each other
he never jumped out on me and i never jumped out on him
it was a gradual thing that took place in like the first 3 seconds off the line.. he was seeing if i was gonna race and i was seeing if he was gonna race... we WERE neck and neck.. and yes he gradually pulled out a nose on me as we got into high end 2nd... i got lots of respect for mustangs, i'm just tellin u that this dude was not going to be embarresed in front of his g/f... the guy was pushin it.. and my car is not fully stock.. i do have painted front breaks.. lmao.. i'm not hatin or freakin out on anyone.. i'm just saying i'm not gonna bullshit and lie about something that i know that happened.. i was hopin the guy would hit another light with me so i could ask him what was under his hood and what not... tell him good race.. i'm notta hater.. now if it was a civic.. lol.. but ford.. hey i'm all for american cars.. i just like my car more ... so again thank you factory freak for a lil back up on the mic .. as for the rest of you.. its been fun and keep it coming! hehe

JXNs ECLIPSEJul-31-02 06:53 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2002
62 posts,
#1619, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 13

my friend with a 98 gs red 5 sp handed a 4.6 liter gt mustang his ass
oh i forgot to mention he was pushin 10 psi lol
jackson

98 eclipse rs
Cosmetics-=-altezzas 80%tintage mesh grill
16 inch niche shocks
55/16 michelin pilots
Performance-=- CAI
Audio-=- kenwood 200W amp 1 lighting audio 12
alpine head unit

EclipseTicalJul-31-02 11:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#1620, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 12

don't get your head all big phil! COngrtulations on being correct for once! j/k. Red98, keep on theses boards and check the archives. You will see how easy it willl be to have mustangs fearing you. All of us were stock at one time, hope you didn't think i was trying to bash on you, was never my intent. Enjoy thew dsm community.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

red98eclipseRSAug-01-02 01:46 AM
75 posts,
#1621, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 15

Thanks for all the input guyz and hopefully i'll still be making commotion on here later down the road if i put up another good fight with another rumbling car

DSBLK93GTAug-01-02 01:54 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#1622, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 16

Well, was it 5spd or auto? That makes a difference. a stock 97 Gt with 5spd will run from a best of 14.7-15.2 DEAD stock. An auto will run from 15.1 to 15.7 depending on gears (2.73 or 3.27). From a roll in 1st..even if he is auto he will walk you BAD. Even if auto they still trap around 92 MPH. I don't see how stock or nearly stock Eclipse will beat a V8 Mustang after 100MPH though? That is where they are strong. My 89LX 5.0 was auto and ran only 15.54@92..but would go right up to 140 with ease. My GT would do 128 when auto due to the 3.27's but now will go past 140 on the speedo in about a 1/2 mile or so...just pulls constant. The ONLY 4cyl that has ever beat ANY of my Mustangs top end is STRAUSS!!

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

SaberKhanAug-01-02 03:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#1623, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 17

I shit you not Dave The "freak" is exactly that. A freak.

1996 RS 5-speed

DSBLK93GTAug-02-02 03:37 AM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#1624, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 18

Well you never know I guess. Everyone on probetalk.com flamed me for posting kills and that my Probe GL was a HIGH 16 second car if lucky. I got PISSSED..and drove to the track by myself one night and my WORST was a 16.4 and my best a 16.20 @ 84 . Next day I went back and got a 16.18 @ 83.4 and a 16.20 @ 85.5 . Hey only .7 faster than they guessed! I got flamed about my times..posted the time slips..and they acccuse me of making them!! WTF?? All because know one runs GL's at the track and tehy only have 110HP. I have a fliter and thats it. Got me?? So..I have THE quickest time for a Probe GL yet..funny as hell!!

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

eclipse_99rsAug-02-02 03:46 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#1625, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 19

hey i wont flame you for running your probe i yoused to have one too and i really liked it. it was an 89 lx i pasted it on performance probe.com under jake back in the day! its tranny blew up and i got an eclipse.also to add to the conversation i raced a 00 mustang gt. I lost but i didnt launch it at all, i didnt lose to badly, and i drove a 02 mustang gt convertable 5spd it was fast but i didnt feel atached to the road, id rather have my 2gnt.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

invaznGSTAug-11-02 12:28 PM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#1626, "RE: Me and a 97 GT Mustang"
In response to Reply # 20

A lot of mustangs around where I live are stupid domestic ricers and mod their car with dual exhaust and put fake GT emblems on there car..they are still slow V6s..

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1605 Previous topic | Next topic