Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1418
View in linear mode

Subject: "how do YOU shift when racing?" Previous topic | Next topic
mitsumanJul-04-02 05:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1992 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1418, "how do YOU shift when racing?"

me personally i dont let off the gas. i have got the shift down to were i know i wont miss and i do it quick. how do you guys shift when racing?

EDIT:
o and whats ur fav gear to shift into? mine has to be from 1st to 2nd. aint nuthin better than a nice long chirp. specially (for those turboed you might know what i mean) when making a turn and shifting into second hard. holy moly seems like the chirp lasts for ever.

"Proud to be, a 2gnt" (was)

-mitsuman
95 gs
Hrc stg 2(not for long)
NER customer

-mitsuman 95 GS 5-spd w/97-99 front end
Repin The SoCal 2GNT'ers
mitsuman95@hotmail.com
AIM s/n : mitsuman95gs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, fatchance, Jul-04-02 03:14 PM, #1
RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, ModeratorVX100, Jul-08-02 05:44 AM, #2
      ouch poweshifting..., Skrilla, Jul-08-02 09:46 AM, #3
RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-08-02 12:39 PM, #4
RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, EclipseRyder333, Jul-09-02 09:04 PM, #5
RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, NX112, Jul-10-02 09:18 AM, #6
      RE: how do YOU shift when racing?, SaberKhan, Jul-11-02 10:09 AM, #7
           how about..., Skrilla, Jul-12-02 02:29 PM, #8
                RE: how about..., bigbrent88, Jul-12-02 04:26 PM, #9
                     RE: how about..., soldier101, Jul-13-02 07:08 PM, #10
                          RE: how about..., DarKReaLity, Jul-18-02 11:31 AM, #11
                               RE: how about..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-19-02 05:48 PM, #12
                                    RE: how about..., 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-19-02 06:35 PM, #13
                                         RE: how about..., DSBLK93GT, Jul-21-02 01:43 PM, #14
                                              RE: how about..., brynden29, Jul-25-02 08:26 AM, #15

fatchanceJul-04-02 03:14 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1419, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 0

I shift same way, and mine has to be a tie, 1st to 2nd is alot of fun, and your right the chirp is great, but 4th to second is also alot of fun. nothing like feeling the pull of adding about 200 revs in a heartbeat!

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Jul-08-02 05:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#1420, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't power shift or speed shift (one is shifting without using the clutch, the other is not lifting off the gas when you shift, I forget which is which, I think powershifting is not letting off the gas)

well, it doesn't make a difference which is which because you shouldn't do either. If you shift regularly, just as fast as you can, your rpms will catch where they are supposed to for the next higher gear, and you won't mess up your tranny by not using the clutch. Just shift normal, but do it FAST!

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

SkrillaJul-08-02 09:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1421, "ouch poweshifting..."
In response to Reply # 2

...hurts. I shift the same way as VX, pretty much granny only as fast as it can be done. I've replaced my tranny already and reparing it wasn't a choice so I got a used one for 600 shipped. I let the engine do the work and never slam the gears just shift quickly.

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamXtremeRSJul-08-02 12:39 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1422, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 0

I shift like VX and Skrilla...At a stop, i bring the rpms up to about 2500-3000, let off the clutch slowly until it grabs pretty good, but with slippage, then once the car gets moving a lil, i fully let off the clutch, and press the gas evenly to the floor, not quickly. Once in second gear, i shift as fast as possible, then keep pressing the gas evenly to the floor after each shift, with the gas ending up at WOT at the near end of each gear.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

EclipseRyder333Jul-09-02 09:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
69 posts,
#1423, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 0

2nd to third baby! Something about just tapping it up into gear. I shift very quickly and let my foot completley off the gas.

'97 Eclipse

NX112Jul-10-02 09:18 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2002
444 posts,
#1424, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 5

Like a crazy ass MF. actually it depends if I'm squeezing or not. if i'm not like vx & skrilla. If i am squeezing a little worse but not much.

"Objects In Mirror Are Losing"

SaberKhanJul-11-02 10:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
994 posts,
#1425, "RE: how do YOU shift when racing?"
In response to Reply # 6

I dont powershift either. Thats a good way to eat up a tranny. I really like the 1st to 2nd shift, but I really love the 2-3 shift, nothing like a good 3rd gear bark. My front tires have been so bald for so long that I forgot what my 3rd gear bark sounds like, for the past several months its just been spinning quietly. Now I get a hard solid *BARK*.

91 awd: 60-1, 880's, E-Prom, etc.
93 awd: JDM 6 bolt, K&N, full exhaust, Wally 255, otherwise stock.

R.I.P. the original "Factory Freak"
15.5's with short ram and catback only
1996 RS 5-speed

SkrillaJul-12-02 02:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1426, "how about..."
In response to Reply # 7

...a nice 3rd gear burn NA?!

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

bigbrent88Jul-12-02 04:26 PM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
#1427, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 8

2-3 pisses me off, sometimes I get it sometimes I grind like a bitch, I think its due to the fact i cant shift it as fast as 1-2 and 3-4 so I do a normal clutch and gas press and release and that I have to push back soo far(6'4") that I end up not having a really good reach(Im at pretty much full reach pushing into third, maybe I should crouch up my seat when racing!) But yeah, I dont power shift, just try to quick shift and get the power goin. I did a 4500rpm clutch drop launch, I think thats a good start point I just need maybe a lil bit less quick of a drop and more gas added more quickly. (I dont go to the track, but there is this nice stretch of road down a ways from my school thats a 1/4mile , sound familiar well I aint lyin)

soldier101Jul-13-02 07:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#1428, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 9

I push the gas, and hope my car wins?

turbo8u: "jiggle jiggle then vroom vroom pshhhh"
-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2
SRTForums.com member #37 (Yeah, I signed up when it first came out, and ended up getting one, cool huh?)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

DarKReaLityJul-18-02 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
934 posts,
#1429, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 10

i'm double clutching like i should!!!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-19-02 05:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1430, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 11

I love 2nd - 3rd. 3rd gear is just tall enough to slidly put the power down in a wicked way. The 3rd - 4th shift i love just because it is beautiful - the perfect meld of mechanical power. At ~100MPH, i tap the clutch, throw 4th, clean, the clutch snags hard, and i rocket down the track. The sheer precision of it leaves me in awe.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

9D9 MITSU RSJul-19-02 06:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1431, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 12

I don't shift. I do get it to the shift point, release, then stomp. QUICKLY. CHIRP into 2nd and a nice jump. Auto sucks, but when u get tired of being slow, u learn ways to drive it differently. Stratus drive gear, here I come.

DSBLK93GTJul-21-02 01:43 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2002
784 posts,
#1432, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 13

Well..I squeeze EVERY bit of time and speed I can so I powershift..gotten me .2 in time and 1 MPH or so in my Mustang..I only do it when racing though. I even powersifted my Probe at track!! But I also managed a 16.18 out of a 138,000 miles car with only 110HP!!

'00 Harley-Davidson F150
'88 Mustang GT
'93 Mustang LX 5.0
'00 Focus (beater)

brynden29Jul-25-02 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#1433, "RE: how about..."
In response to Reply # 14

...as fast as I can, then let off 300 rpm later when my EGT's hit 1600. :'(

Brynden

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1418 Previous topic | Next topic