Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1160
View in linear mode

Subject: "Baseline before cylinder head build" Previous topic | Next topic
SEA97GSMay-06-02 05:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
127 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1160, "Baseline before cylinder head build"

I went to the track for the last time last Wednesday night to get a baseline performance run of my car before I get into my cylinder head rebuild.

The mod list on my signature is exactly what I've got on the car. I ended up running a personal best by 0.01 seconds. A little better driving on my part should have gotten a 15.6x time, but I was getting happy on the launch. Here are the numbers:

60' - 2.335
330' - 6.542
660' - 10.076
MPH - 69.37
1000' - 13.147
1/4 - 15.722
MPH - 87.94

Needless to say, I'm pleased with the car right now. It's running strong and getting good mileage. This is all with 128,000 miles on the clock.

New cylinder head is going to consist of PT rockers and lifters, Crane valve springs, 1mm oversized intake valves, and a custom ground Crane cam. The head will be ported to gasket match on both the intake and exhaust as well as a highly ported intake manifold. The combustion chamber will be worked on a little too to try to get rid of that annoying detonation that's built into our motors.

More updates as they come. And pictures when we get into the putting together process. Waiting on the cams to be delivered right now.

97 Eclipse GS-15.463@88.57MPH - RIP
92 Talon TSi AWD-12.927@105.47MPH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

vegasdsmrMay-06-02 05:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1161, "RE: Baseline before cylinder head build"
In response to Reply # 0

right on, good time, and good luck w/ da rebuild...

im sure u will be able to pull low 15s/high 14s w/cams and head werk...

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100May-06-02 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#1162, "RE: Baseline before cylinder head build"
In response to Reply # 1

hmmm, I guess I had better get moving with my mods then!

Good job getting a new best time. I think if you could have gotten that 60' down a bit more you would have been in 15.6s, but any improvement is better than no improvement. What tires did you run? Stock ones I assume?

15.7 is good without SAFC tuning. If you could get one on the car now, and do a little tuning, you'd probably be 15.6, if not in 15.5s

What are the specs on those cams? I am guessing they are not too wild compared to stock, since (no offence) it looks like they didn't add too much top end.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

SEA97GSMay-06-02 07:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
127 posts,
#1163, "RE: Baseline before cylinder head build"
In response to Reply # 2

Don't know what the actual specs on the regrinds are. They added more mid range than top end. The base circle was ground about 0.057", but the rest of it was left pretty much alone. Which means that I should be getting about that much more lift with the lifters shimmed up. I noticed that the car is still running out of air basically at the top end. The ported intake manifold will cure that issue.

The only other thing I am considering doing right now is to remove the catalytic converter. It's a 2.5" high flow, but I'm sure it's still creating a lot of back pressure.

vegasdsmrMay-06-02 07:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#1164, "RE: Baseline before cylinder head build"
In response to Reply # 3

well, w/ a bored t/b and p&p intake mani, u will proly see better gains than what i have (no cams)...

good luck tho meng.. sounds like she's a beast..

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

SEA97GSMay-07-02 06:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
127 posts,
#1165, "RE: Baseline before cylinder head build"
In response to Reply # 4

We'll see how much of a beast she is soon. The cams were shipped from Crane either this morning or yesterday. The cam gears should be following shortly.

I hope to have this thing built and ready to roll in the next two weeks. I've still got quite a bit of porting left to do.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #1160 Previous topic | Next topic