Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3781
View in linear mode

Subject: "stage 2 turbo and nx ?" Previous topic | Next topic
my1997eclipseDec-24-03 02:35 AM
Member since Sep 09th 2003
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3781, "stage 2 turbo and nx ?"

hey,
i have a 97 eclipse rs and i run a 10.2 with tons of wheel hop off the line right now with cold air. I am wanting to buy a stage 2 hahn turbo and i want to know what i will be running in the 1/8 and 1/4 with this turbo? also what would i run with the turbo and a 60 shoot of nx in the 1/8

p.s. please help me out buy giving you times in the 1/8 and the 1/4 with a stage 1 or stage 2 turbo and if you have n20 with the turbo what do you run ? thanks p.s. 5-speed, and would i be able to run faster with drag radials or slicks and if so how fast because my 17in wheels suck for tractio

adam underwood

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, TeamDR1665, Dec-24-03 08:30 AM, #1
RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, Steve, Dec-24-03 08:37 AM, #2
RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, my1997eclipse, Dec-24-03 07:47 PM, #3
      RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, EclipseRST, Dec-25-03 06:28 AM, #4
           RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, Vandy420a, Dec-28-03 11:11 PM, #5
                RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, my1997eclipse, Dec-29-03 03:45 AM, #6
                     RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, Vandy420a, Dec-30-03 07:57 PM, #7
                          RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, Blizare, Jan-02-04 07:25 AM, #8
                               RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, my1997eclipse, Jan-03-04 09:58 AM, #9
                               RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?, my1997eclipse, Jan-03-04 09:58 AM, #10

TeamDR1665Dec-24-03 08:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3782, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by my1997eclipse
hey, i have a 97 eclipse rs and i run a 10.2 with tons of wheel hop off the line right now with cold air.

I assume you mean this is your 60ft time. :p No one here runs 10 seconds in the quarter. PERIOD. You mention 1/8th mile, so maybe you mean that, but man!

If you plan on running stage 2 and N2O, you will need to rebuild your bottom end first. Even more important than that at this stage would be more practice launching your car at the track.

Welcome to 2GNT.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SteveDec-24-03 08:37 AM
Member since Sep 15th 2003
1542 posts,
#3783, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 1

www.hahnracecraft.com look around there.They have tons of info on their Kit Merry x-mas

Steve-o
Top secret.

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
I guess I'll just have to live with a 500+ hp AWD 4-banger.

my1997eclipseDec-24-03 07:47 PM
35 posts,
#3784, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah it was a 10.2 in the 1/8.when you mean rebuild bottom end you mean like pistons and rods right? do you know what a average shop would charge for doing this? also if i did only replace pistons and rods would it hold up to a 50 shot of nx and stage 2 turbo? i am new here i am just looking into how to make my car faster in the 1/4 and 1/8 with about 8,ooo to invest into the motor. could anyone leave there times in the 1/8 mile and tell me what they got done so i could take a look also thanks for your help.

would it be worth it or should i just purchase a gsx ?

adam underwood

EclipseRSTDec-25-03 06:28 AM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
#3785, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by my1997eclipse
yeah it was a 10.2 in the 1/8.when you mean rebuild bottom end you mean like pistons and rods right? do you know what a average shop would charge for doing this? also if i did only replace pistons and rods would it hold up to a 50 shot of nx and stage 2 turbo? i am new here i am just looking into how to make my car faster in the 1/4 and 1/8 with about 8,ooo to invest into the motor. could anyone leave there times in the 1/8 mile and tell me what they got done so i could take a look also thanks for your help. would it be worth it or should i just purchase a gsx ?

Yes pistons and rods are basically what the bottom end consists of. An average shop would usually charge somewhere around 2 grand for all the machining and assembly. Yes, I believe a built bottom end would easily handle turbo and nitrous together but it will provide some careful tuning on your part. I've heard it's hard to tune cars that are supporting both turbo and nitrous together but yes it can be done. Hope this helps and make sure you keep us updated .

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Vandy420aDec-28-03 11:11 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3792, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok i'm new to the turbo world too (somewhat) and I have yet to change out a turbo, but its coming soon with the $$$...

My advice to you is this: If you're asking about rebuilding bottom ends and have to ask what this consists of, maybe you should start w/a stage 1 or possibly a stage 2 W/O N2O!!! Also, if you use a stage 1 and detonate, you

A) learn from your mistakes
B) rebuild the bottom end anyway (hopefully the head will come out fine)
C) probably want to find another 420a block anyways before the turb/nitrous upgrade and swap it in, instead of losing your car for a few weeks.

Using N2O and a turbo is dicey, esp. w/a FWD, as N2O, if i'm not mistaken, is used mainly to spool large turbos. Another option would be to go stage 2 and use a profec B w/the remote boost controller. Start at a low boost setting, such as 4-5 psi until you are rolling, then hit the button as soon as you have enough momentum and hit crazy boost. This solves (somewhat) your wheel hop problem....also, I think there are LSD's out there for 420a's... a phantom grip and sway bars or drag radials probably will cost less than N20 anyways...

Check out RoadRaceEngineering.com they don't sell them, but I think they mention where to get them...

Good luck!

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

my1997eclipseDec-29-03 03:45 AM
35 posts,
#3793, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah you guys got some good advice i think i should just worry about the turbo itself stage 2. anything but n2o to get my car faster without upgrading to stage 3 yet? i have plenty of money to spend that i have been saving for this so please name some things i could do to see some good numbers in the 1/8 and the quarter. would the cry02 witch basically cools the air coming in help? please help me out you all seem like you know what you are talking about

adam underwood

Vandy420aDec-30-03 07:57 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#3798, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 6

keep in mind i've never owned a 420a turbo, but

exhaust on turbo's is HUGE...get a large turbo back and I think you'll find some really great gains! (probably even better than an IC sprayer)

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

BlizareJan-02-04 07:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#3815, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Don't worry about spraying shit...yet. That comes after ur MOTOR CAN HANDLE SOME ACTUAL POWER!!!!!You keep asking for times and shit well.....can u drive? I mean actually drive that thing??? If you just want to tell ur friends that you'll have a 10 second eclipse ur craxy!!!. Man, if you wanna do something right. Do it the first time and save some damn hassle. If u got $8000, spend it wisely.

buy an FTY 2.2 for like 3000, buy a hahn kit w/ 16G...

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/upgrades/twogen.htm

Intake, 3" exhaust, UDP, (BTW, ur money is gone now!!!!!lol) LSD, AFX ECU, TEINS, and some GOOOD RUBBER!!!!!
if you can't hook up that new 400HP u have then whats the point.

READ a LOT of stuff from this site and talk to people. There are people here who have spent TONS of money on thier cars. They'll be more than happy to tell you about they're mistakes and what they WOULD HAVE done!!! lol

Welcome to 2GNT

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

my1997eclipseJan-03-04 09:58 AM
35 posts,
#3823, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah well you guys seem to know more about what you are talkin about. i think i will just go with the hrc stage 2 and tune that until everything works right.after that i will redo the bottom end and see how it goes from there if you guys or gals got any advice about doing little things to make it go faster please reply thanks

adam underwood

my1997eclipseJan-03-04 09:58 AM
35 posts,
#3824, "RE: stage 2 turbo and nx ?"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah well you guys seem to know more about what you are talkin about. i think i will just go with the hrc stage 2 and tune that until everything works right.after that i will redo the bottom end and see how it goes from there if you guys or gals got any advice about doing little things to make it go faster please reply thanks

adam underwood

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3781 Previous topic | Next topic