Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2399
View in linear mode

Subject: "stiffening the rear suspension" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-02-03 11:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2399, "stiffening the rear suspension"

someone should make up some braces that are Y shaped on either end and adjustable in the center to slip in between the rear member and control arm to make a "solid" rear for FWD drag cars.
any opinions? Todd?

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: stiffening the rear suspension, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-04-03 11:12 AM, #1
RE: stiffening the rear suspension, TeamMichael_97RS, Mar-04-03 12:22 PM, #2
      RE: stiffening the rear suspension, Fast420A, Mar-04-03 06:36 PM, #3
           RE: stiffening the rear suspension, TeamMichael_97RS, Mar-07-03 06:05 AM, #4
                RE: stiffening the rear suspension, ModeratorVX100, Mar-08-03 09:41 AM, #5
                     RE: stiffening the rear suspension, ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-08-03 10:03 PM, #6
                          RE: stiffening the rear suspension, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-09-03 12:41 AM, #7
                               RE: stiffening the rear suspension, ModeratorVX100, Mar-10-03 07:42 AM, #8
                                    RE: stiffening the rear suspension, HadesOmega, Mar-13-03 09:11 AM, #9

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-04-03 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2404, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 0

you always want SOME play in the rear suspension. Solid suspensions aren't the answer.

I used stock Avenger springs in my rear suspension - they're slightly longer than stock, and a good bit stiffer. Combined with KYB AGX struts, it makes for a very stiff rear end for minimal weight transfer.

of course, REAL coilovers would be a better solution for suspension tuning, but hey - $15 vs $900 .. which you you do?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMichael_97RSMar-04-03 12:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2405, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes you need play in suspension. If there is no play any minor imperfection in the road surface and your rear wheels jump off the ground. Say you do this in the middle of a minor steering correction... you could be in the middle of a skid or worse when the wheels land. You want the suspension to push the tires to the ground.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

Fast420AMar-04-03 06:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#2406, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 2

Michael, I think he was talking about something that could be put in to place at the track and removed before drving home. It could be done, it's just a matter of will it make any difference at all to the launch.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

TeamMichael_97RSMar-07-03 06:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2425, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 3

Even at the track you don't want a solid suspension, the track and side roads perfect without bumps at your track? Not a safe idea ni my opinion.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

ModeratorVX100Mar-08-03 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2437, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 4

yes, I agree, it wouldn't be safe, especially at speed if something goes wrong (and something always can and eventually does)

also, if you put some solid braces in the suspension, when the car's weight shifts the springs will expand, the suspension pieces will spread apart and the brace could fall out :o

stiff shocks and springs are the way to og, I like the avenger spring idea

Dino, do you know the difference in spring length and the lbs. ratig of the springs (compared to stock)? could you find out ?

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-08-03 10:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#2439, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 5

thanks for the opinions fellas. I was bored at work and the idea popped in my head...

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-09-03 12:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2440, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 6

No idea, Todd. They're beefier springs is all i can tell you - buy a set, compare. The A/S rear is about a 1/4" taller, 1/4" bigger in diameter, and maybe ten thousandths bigger in the actual coil. I can lift myself up on my rear hatch and the suspension compresses about 1/2". It's cool.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ModeratorVX100Mar-10-03 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2454, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 7

hmm, I might look into that to stiffen the rear of the car up...

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

HadesOmegaMar-13-03 09:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#2495, "RE: stiffening the rear suspension"
In response to Reply # 8

weld in a roll bar that'll stiffin up the body, I wouldn't worry too much about stiffening up the rear chassis there's not much there to warrant stiffening. What I've done to get my car oversteer is to get adjustable shox, thicker rear sway bar, and some crappy tires in the rear.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2399 Previous topic | Next topic