Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #819
View in linear mode

Subject: "Basic Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Boofer97rsNov-26-01 09:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
800 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#819, "Basic Questions"

Alright...i have a little bit of understanding about the car audio...but amps mess me up. I want to get 2 12's for my car, prolly kickers or jl's and they are about 200-300 watts rms. From reading other posts on the board it seems that there is no way to tell the difference between two amps pushing out the same wattage. I don't want to have to pay $200-400 for an amp. So i'm guessing they overrate the generic amps they sell on ebay. so can somebody tell me what kind of amp i should get (i.e. wattage, bridgeable or whatever, ohms, and all that stuff), and tell me if one of those amps will do that they sell on ebay. sorry for the long post, i just want to get this right. Thanks guys
Lee

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Teameclipse804Nov-26-01 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#820, "RE: Basic Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

If you plan on bridging those subs, I would get an ampt hat runs at least 400 watts rms bridged, not MAX. Make sure you look at rms. Everyone says Crunch Drive and a lot of cheaper brands are overrated. So if buying one of the cheaper brands, I would probably buy one rated at 600 watts rms if you really want to power those subs. Or if you got a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 (around 300 bucks), I think that would power you subs good since RF are underrated - they come with a birth sheet that indicates the true power. For example, a lot of people with the 250.2 (250 rms) had birthsheets reading up to 350 rms...I would get Rockford Fosgate if I were you. I have a crunch right now...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Tanqueray201Nov-27-01 02:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#821, "Rockford"
In response to Reply # 1

FYI, you can get really good Rockford Fosgate amp deals on ubid. Some might be refurb, but they're still covered under warranty. Something to consider if you're on a really tight budget.

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

mkerleyNov-27-01 03:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#822, "RE: Basic Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

To get max power out of your money (keep in mind max power is not always max sound quality, but you get what you pay for more or less), you want to bridge it. If you get a good 75rms x 2 amp, you can bridge it to get 300 per channel for your subs. But, it will have to be 1 ohm stable (assuming you have 4 ohm SVC subs) which means get a soundstream or something like that. Should be <300.

It really depends on the subs you get. Tell me the # of voice coils and the impedance of them and I can better match an amp to the setup.

Matt

>Alright...i have a little bit of understanding about the car
>audio...but amps mess me up. I want to get 2 12's for my
>car, prolly kickers or jl's and they are about 200-300 watts
>rms. From reading other posts on the board it seems that
>there is no way to tell the difference between two amps
>pushing out the same wattage. I don't want to have to pay
>$200-400 for an amp. So i'm guessing they overrate the
>generic amps they sell on ebay. so can somebody tell me
>what kind of amp i should get (i.e. wattage, bridgeable or
>whatever, ohms, and all that stuff), and tell me if one of
>those amps will do that they sell on ebay. sorry for the
>long post, i just want to get this right. Thanks guys
>Lee

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #819 Previous topic | Next topic