Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #700
View in linear mode

Subject: "upgrade questions after HU" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorjuanNov-15-01 09:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#700, "upgrade questions after HU"

Hey guys.

I went ahead and ordered a Nakamichi CD-40Z headunit ($179 from uBid). Now I need to figure out what I need to go long with it.

I have a 96GS with the stock cassette deck. Looks like I have the standard door speakers and tweeters. I'm not sure what kind of speakers are in the rear, either the 6.5"'s or 6"x9"'s.

I will soon have the Nak head unit, which has the following specs:
- Subwoofer preamp output (RCA)
- 4ch/4V Preamplifier output (RCA)
- Max.power x 4 at 4 ohms 43W

I also have a 5.25" Blaupunkt VC54 speaker system in a box with the following specs:
- 2 5.25" woofers
- 2 1" dome tweeters
- 12dB / Oct crossover network
- 160W max, 60W RMS
- 65-23000 Hz freq response
- Sensitivity: 92dB (2.83V/1m) / 90dB (1W/1m)
- Theile small parameters: Fs = 76Hz, Qts = 0.65, Vas = 0.25cu ft
- 4 ohm system impedance
- mounting depth 2.3" (58mm)
- I don't have a lot of detail on these, but they seem to be a fairly premium line from about 1998, and are in unused condition.

My questions are:

- will the HU drive these speakers well?
- should I also upgrade the door speakers?
- if so, any recomendations on what would be good? (I don't need nor can afford top of the line gear, but want to have good quality components to go along with the HU. Basically, bang for the buck here).
- do I need an amp? I'm hoping no, but I really have no clue one way or the other.

As you can tell, I don't really know much about audio stuff. Thanks for any info.

juan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: upgrade questions after HU, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Nov-15-01 10:38 AM, #1
RE: upgrade questions after HU, Teameclipse804, Nov-15-01 11:18 AM, #2
      RE: upgrade questions after HU, Amish_Eclipse, Nov-15-01 01:27 PM, #3
      RE: upgrade questions after HU, Amish_Eclipse, Nov-15-01 01:28 PM, #4
           RE: upgrade questions after HU, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Nov-15-01 01:35 PM, #5
                RE: upgrade questions after HU, Qdogg, Nov-15-01 03:11 PM, #6
                     RE: upgrade questions after HU, TeamStan2gnt, Nov-19-01 09:35 AM, #7
                          RE: upgrade questions after HU, jZa, Nov-19-01 06:19 PM, #8
                               RE: upgrade questions after HU, CVedEclipse, Nov-22-01 01:36 AM, #9
                                    RE: upgrade questions after HU, koolade9, Nov-23-01 05:03 PM, #10
                                         RE: upgrade questions after HU, Weezle745, Dec-08-01 11:44 AM, #11

Moderatorsd_eclipseNov-15-01 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#701, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 0

>My questions are:
>
>- will the HU drive these
>speakers well?

The speakers should work fine with your head unit.

>- should I also upgrade the
>door speakers?

The Blaupunkt's that you have now would go in the door location so im assuming you meant to say upgrade the rear speakers. If a 96 and 99 are the same stereo wise, which i think they are. You should have 5.25" up front and 6.5" in the rear.

>- if so, any recomendations on
>what would be good?
>(I don't need nor can
>afford top of the line
>gear, but want to have
>good quality components to go
>along with the HU.
>Basically, bang for the buck
>here).

Here's a set of 6.5" Blaupunkt's that would work nice for the rear. At $50 they're not that bad of a deal.
http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-CV47Ye1B72r/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=023PCXT652&o=M&a=0

>- do I need an amp?
> I'm hoping no, but
>I really have no clue
>one way or the other.
>
You shouldn't need a amp at all.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Nov-15-01 11:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#702, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 1

You won't need an amp, but if you do get one, it will just sound even better. Your mids and highs will be a lot clearer and better sounding, since your head unit does 45 watts max, it is probably around 22 watts rms (most head units are). Your speakers can take 60 watts rms...but an amp is not necessary, just an upgrade you might want to consider sometime. You could get one for around $100 good enough to power the interior speakers.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Amish_EclipseNov-15-01 01:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#703, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 2

nakamichi makes some of the best sounding HU's out. i wouldnl't team that up to 50 dollar speakers. at least go with dei components for like 80-90 bucks. but given teh choice my preference from best to worst would be, focal, mbquart, clarion, eclipse

In a barbaric world, it's better to be
the ultimate barbarian than the ultimate
diplomat.
- Doug Rau
"He who has lost freedom has nothing
left to lose."
-Unknown
"Every normal man must be tempted at
times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H.L. Mencken
Make friends of your enemies, or kill them.
- Proverb

BKR5E-11's
cone filter
brospeed muffler from mx-3
exhaust leak (mad power gain)
craigd887@aol.com

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Amish_EclipseNov-15-01 01:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#704, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 2

btw, since your a 96 you prolly have 6X9's like me.

In a barbaric world, it's better to be
the ultimate barbarian than the ultimate
diplomat.
- Doug Rau
"He who has lost freedom has nothing
left to lose."
-Unknown
"Every normal man must be tempted at
times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H.L. Mencken
Make friends of your enemies, or kill them.
- Proverb

BKR5E-11's
cone filter
brospeed muffler from mx-3
exhaust leak (mad power gain)
craigd887@aol.com

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Moderatorsd_eclipseNov-15-01 01:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#705, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 4

Could possiably be. I wasn't to sure what was factory for a 96. My 99 came with 5.25"front, 6.5"rear. I had to get the 6x9 rear speaker pods off a gst/gsx to swap out with my 6.5" speaker pods.

QdoggNov-15-01 03:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
15 posts,
#706, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 5

Component set speakers sound better than 6X9's. If you want a system that bumps like heck through 6.5"s and tweets in the front door panels and 6.5"s in the rear. Go with MBQuart, or another company well known for their component speakers. I got MBquarts, cost me 600 bones for 2 sets though haha, thats what you pay for Competition stuff i guess.

TeamStan2gntNov-19-01 09:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#707, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah I got 6.5" MB Quart components up front and 6.5" coaxials from the same line in the rear and a single JL stealthbox. Sometimes $600 speakers sound worst than $300 speakers and alot of people feel MB Quarts are too bright (which they kinda can be, mine tweeters are at -3dbs on the X-over) but I like em for the most part.

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

jZaNov-19-01 06:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#708, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 7

the speaker size depends on model. I had teh infinity system which came w/ 6 x 9 rear and 5.25 front, dash tweets and i think another set somewhere else, but you can fit 6.5 up front. Actually, i had 6.5" diamond m3 and they fit perfect up front baffle.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

CVedEclipseNov-22-01 01:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#709, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 8

i say that you get an amp.. to me, amps just make everything sound better, and much better than aftermarket HUs. im sure you can get a decent amp for cheap, and the sound is so much better! just a thought.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

koolade9Nov-23-01 05:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#710, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 9

1st replace your speakers, then buy a 4ch amp. you can use it to run all 4 speakers for now, then when you buy a sub, you can run all 4 speakers off just the front channels, and bridge the rear two channels to the sub. after that, we'll see what your tastes desire.

Weezle745Dec-08-01 11:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#711, "RE: upgrade questions after HU"
In response to Reply # 10

If anyone's interested, I'm selling my Jensen amp (300W I think, but will check). I had it hooked up to two 10" subs but it was not hitting them hard enough. It could hit one 10" perfectly but not cutting it with two. So if anyone in the SoCal area is interested just drop me an email (Weasle745@aol.com). BTW the amp was on my car for about 2months, I still have the original box/manuals/receipt. Make me an offer.

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #700 Previous topic | Next topic