Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #400
View in linear mode

Subject: "Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!" Previous topic | Next topic
foggy45May-08-08 06:06 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#400, "Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!"
May-08-08 06:34 PM by foggy45

i have gotten a few requests for pics of my eclipse project, and after some thought i've decide to release my formal introduction and reveal my project.
Please keep in mind that my project dosent bow to the will of the outside world but to my own vision. to some it might be while to others it might be or but in the end (if any project can be truly finished) i will be able to stand next to it and say "yep thats how i envisioned it"
so without further adieu . . .

My name is Dave and im from Omaha NE.
i grew up around sports cars from a young age and learned to wrench from my father, grandfather, and great grandfather.
my first intro to cars was my fathers 1984 corvette which he liked to go just as fast as anyone. well his taste improved and the next car i got to work on was a 1986 Ferrari 328 GTS. yes i actually wrenched on this. i replaced a leaking oil cooler, and got K&N to make a custom Filter for the airbox. we still have that car and he spanks the eclipse EVERY time lol.
in 2001 i purchased a 96 eclipse GS. i, like many others, thought i could save some insurance while i dropped in a 6-bolt 4G63. HAHAHA OOPS!
well after some stupid stickers and and a couple of speeding / reckless driving tickets. i de-riced the whole thing, and promptly spun my first bearing.

it was during that down time that i had a chance meeting with a tuner mag that was talking about forums for cars.
Boom! 2GNT was found. i lurked here for about a year before signing up. i have learned many things from every one here, and this has helped my project along.

but of course i thought i knew better then them, thought i had a handle on the turbo concept. LOL!!! HAHAHA @#%#^BANME!
and the first turbo was sacrificed to the turbo gods the very first time out. /wave Buh Bye little HKS GT2530

so out comes everything and it returns to stock while i build up the funds and the proper parts to redo my mistakes the right way this time.

in its current iteration this is my project.
my major influences were: F1, GT cars, and of course i wanted to actually beat my fathers Ferrari. instead of throwing parts together or settling for whatever fits cheapest, i decided to go with reputable parts with proven performance. now this is usually where i get into arguments and people question my sanity. consider my current turbocharger, an HKS GTRS. yes i know i can get like 4-5 generic T3's or a couple of Garretts but i like the flow maps and properties of this turbo so thats what i chose. its things like this that you will find in my build list that makes people go but again remember its what i wanted, and most parts were chosen for a REAL reason.
so we start with a now very sad looking eclipse, bumpers cracked the pealing paint (i swear its like an automotive STD) in dsperate need of help.

she was striped of her bumpers and Bomex front and rears were test fit, and the factory wing was shaved to make way for an APR GTC-200 wing.

at this time i added ST swaybars with heim endlinks front and rear. Huricane GS bar, and 3 OBX tower braces. the brakes were upgrades to GSX calipers and Brembo Sport slotted rotors with RRE stainless lines.
well since we cant drive around looking like a riced out Oreo i took her to my dads friend to get painted. as luck would have it, just after leaving the estimate apointment i was rear ended and it destroyed the rear bumper, bent the frame, and destroyed one of my tail lights. (thank god it was before paint)

the car was given a full paint stripping, body work was welded and straightned out and then blocked. after several coats of PPG Black Gloss, and color sanding, she was finally buffed out out

so now with the boddy painted and reassembled i am free to continue with my build up.
i have decided to go with a 2.4L swap with SRT-4 Forged internals by Forward Motion Inc. i have a custom Manifold that is being welded up and a 3" V-band downpipe. currently i have a 60mm HKS sport exhaust on there but i plan on changing that to a custom made 75mm set up (possibly Ti) with a HKS Titanium muffler .

so heres the requasite listing of the planned project (only the highlights are there otherwise id bore you all)
and BEFORE you all freak, remember that this has taken me more then 5 years to gather most of this stuff together and i still need plenty of things.
Crower 2's with springs and Ti retainers
Ferrera 1mm oversized Titanium intake valves
Ferrera 1mm oversized Inconel Exhaust valves
60mm MP TB with bored intake
8-injector set up with twin STT (Terry) -6an fuel rails
HKS AIC-III, IPM, Super AFR, EVC-VI, Fan controller, Type-1 TT
Aeromotive A-1000 fuel pump, and Walboro 255 pump
HKS Racing BOV Type-II, and GT-II Wastegate
Setrab Fuel and Oil coolers w/ C&R thermostat bypasses
havent yet chosen a hood that i like yet, but it will be functional
suspension will be Tein type flex, however i have talked to Ohlins about making a set of remote resivors set up for our car, they seemed fairly open to the idea too.
Rims will be a set of 18" O.Z Superleggera, with Bridgestone Potenzas, in the hopes for a future EVO Caliper Swap. (best we can do unless you want to drop 11K for a set of the Brembo GTR EVO Tarmac-spec brakes /drool )
as a stand alone engine management i got a great deal on an F-con V Pro unit, i just need to get the universal harness then take it to Genesis Racing Development in Chi-town for install and tuning. i still dont know whether im going to use this or not though

as for the carbon / kevlar Aerokit that started this whole thing i have always wanted to do that to our cars. i trully love Functional aerodynamics. (think JGTC, Touring car, and GT class racing) and as with this whole project i love the reading and learning that is involved with projects like these.
with my father having 2 CNC Mills and a CNC Lathe it definatly makes the projects go faster.

oh and here is what she looks like now, keep in mind she really needs a bath. lol

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K! [View all] , foggy45, May-08-08 06:06 PM
  RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, Moderatorteklein, May-09-08 03:58 AM, #1
RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, 420adsmbuilder95, May-15-08 04:37 AM, #2
RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, ModeratorEvuLFleA, May-15-08 05:27 AM, #3
      RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, foggy45, May-15-08 09:26 AM, #4
           RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, eclipse982nrRST, May-15-08 03:48 PM, #5
                RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, phurt83, May-15-08 05:46 PM, #6
                     RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, foggy45, May-16-08 08:53 AM, #7
                          RE: Foggy's intro and story so far . . . pbpbpbpbtttt to 56K!, phurt83, May-16-08 11:18 AM, #8

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #400 Previous topic | Next topic