Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #29514
View in linear mode

Subject: "Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TAug-20-02 02:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29514, "Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long)"

As per Matt's request, the following is my review of the ERT prototype DP:

First off, right away you can tell that the piping is a higher caliber metal. When compared to the stock piping, it seems more solid, thicker, and the bends are smoother. In many way, the piping exceeds the quality of the Pacesetter. The welds on this particular prototype were functional, but alas this was still a prototype and (and told to me before I received it) that the final production version would have clean welds.

Next, as far as the install goes, went much easier than the stock one piece DP (mine is a welded DP combining the HRC DP and the stocker). Since there are two pieces to the ERT DP, you simply install the top section which bolts to the turbo first, and then, via a second flange, bolt the second piece next that eventually mates to the cat. And as had been relayed to before, the ominous third bolt on the underside of the turbine flange was MUCH easier to bolt on (and later bolt off). You still have to bolt, alternatly push, and then bolt again, but it's much, much easier. There is one fitament issue with this top section in how close it comes to the water pipe (that's under the exhaust manifold) that parallels the block. Due to the closeness of the DP to the aforementioned water pipe, that creates a problem in terms of fabricating a bracket to mate the DP to the bracket situated next to the tranny. This fitament issue is really only related to one portion of the DP and once it's resolved, I think this DP is definitely ready to go. Asides from the above issue, the fitament and channel to the cat is terrific. It totally eliminates a large S-curve that's present in the stock DP (under the car) that's very noticeable as a slow down in exhaust velocity.

In the model that was sent to me, the O2 sensor bung was placed almost in the same spot as the stock O2 sensor, but perhaps an inch lower to avoid the flange mating the top and bottom sections. I have since recommended having the O2 sensor placed in the upper section to avoid any issues with a possible bad bottoming-out incident in a lowered vehicle. Moreover, that placement would closely resemble the 4g63 placement of their O2 sensor, thereby placing the common label on the upper DP portion of the "O2 housing." One side note, having this upper section at a necessary 2.5" and also housing your O2 sensor and the complicated bend avoiding your A/C lines, oil check line while still mating to your turbo obviates possibilities in differing the size for the lower portion of the DP to a larger size, if desired.

As far as performance, I knew what to expect. Having friends upgrade their own 4g63 DP's to 2.5" and also from reading all of the popular import mags, I knew the car was going to get an added kick in terms of HP and spool up quickness. After driving around with it for a couple of days, it certainly did substantiate those claims. Since I've varied my boost a couple of times, it felt like an "up" in boost from anywhere from 1 to 3 psi, so I figure a conservative 10-25 HP was added from using the DP by itself. However, I'm not a dyno, so I don't want to inflate these figures. It might even be more depinding on mow much HP you're running. I figure it's better in terms of this review to be conservative and reasonable.

The spool up quickness IMO, is the better and more noticeable improvement. This jumped out at me on how much quicker the car spooled up. It must have quickened anywhere from 300-600 RPM's. This was a definite plus. I think this attribute, by itself, would make anyone want to jump for this DP. Moreover, I noticed absolutely no loss off-boost in torque either.

I was definitely sad the other day to put the stocker back on. However, I didn't want to hurt anything with the one fitament issue of the DP.

One last note, The DP mated up perfectly with the stock cat with its larger universal 2.5" flange to the 2 inch flange cat. However, taking a gander of my full exhaust with the larger 2.5" DP, the 2" cat, and then the 2.5" catback, really, really made my cat look something more akin to a plug rather than part of a free-flowing exhaust.

Make sure and do something to that cat at the same time.

That's about all I have. If ERT can do a good job of resolving the fitament issue, I think this is a REAL must-have mod. And believe me, since this involves that difficult upper S-bend by the turbo, this is no easy job for any muffler man. Certainly not a cheapo easy replacement. I can't imagine anyone else getting that whole in 2.5" that little spot.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long) [View all] , TeamJasonESi_T, Aug-20-02 02:04 PM
  RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), Erik, Aug-20-02 03:02 PM, #1
RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), RoboTechDSM, Aug-20-02 03:30 PM, #2
RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), BlackVenge, Aug-20-02 04:59 PM, #3
      RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), Erik, Aug-21-02 01:18 AM, #4
           RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), jamesman, Aug-21-02 03:03 AM, #5
                RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), pn0ymahal, Aug-21-02 10:42 AM, #6
                RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), eclipsekaiser, Aug-21-02 02:58 PM, #7
                     RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), pn0ymahal, Aug-21-02 03:57 PM, #8
                          RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), eclipsekaiser, Aug-22-02 08:38 AM, #9
                               RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), SANDMAN, Aug-23-02 01:39 AM, #10
                               RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), aj, Aug-23-02 02:24 AM, #11
                                    RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), SANDMAN, Aug-23-02 05:51 AM, #12
                                         RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), Super20G, Aug-23-02 08:56 AM, #13
                                         RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), 420aVenger, Aug-23-02 09:02 AM, #14
                                         RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), JUNJUN712, Aug-23-02 03:00 PM, #16
                               RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), jamesman, Aug-23-02 10:53 AM, #15
                                    RE: Prototype Review of the ERT Downpipe (long), thedawg, Aug-24-02 09:22 AM, #17

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #29514 Previous topic | Next topic