Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #19403
View in linear mode

Subject: "Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..." Previous topic | Next topic
eclipsekaiserApr-09-02 11:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19403, "Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..."

the install went really well (except for a minor problem, read on).

After debating on the location of placement, we settled on using the right fender air dam as our air source to cool oil (might as well put that opening to use). The front bumper was too tight of a fit for the core they wanted to use (thoughts of you guys running front mounts crossed my mind, so don't say I never think about you mofos), plus if the bumper and related supports had to be trimmed, then it would not be a true bolt on. Hence a thinner but just a efficient cooler is used. I'll keep a tight lip until they release the kit. I'll only say it is a 6 pass core.

The unit itself is quiet nice. Quality is equivalent to Greddy units (they use fancy AN fittings), but at a better price.

It is a sandwich adaptor (about 1" thick, which means your filter will sit 1" lower). Wes Fisher claim that Frahm makes a filter that will fit our application. I'll look into cross reference numbers and pass it on to you guys if I find anything.

Now for what I think (good and bad):
1. if you are lowered (more than 2"), it is probably not a good idea for you to run this kit as one of the bracket that supports the cooler is the lower right corner bolt that is found on the underside support of your bumper. the one that you always scrape coming out of a drive way. I'm lowered on RSRs (1.3"), and I'm a bit weary about it being that low. Only time will tell if it will cause a problem or not. if you are low, better go with a smaller unit that you can mount in the mouth, or trim away some of that plastic black radiator thingy to mount it in the front (word around the camp fire is that a tranny cooler might be in order for us automatic owners that will go there).

2. relate to #1. Atleast the whole assembly is well supported enough ( 2 sheet bracket, and the hose clamps from the hoses) but at the same time has enough play to absorb a bumper scrape where nothing will crack. Once again only time will tell.

3. Kit will come with all fittings needed, and clear insturctions on how to mount it. I briefly read it once, and understand what is to be done.

4. Sorry to you 4g63 owners. No cooler for you guys as your oil pump do not put out enough pressure to compensate for the drop.

Problem I ran into:
After the install we cranked the motor to make sure oil is getting to the cooler while still on the jack stand. After filling up to the appropriate amount of oil (additional 1 quart), we started the car up to let it run for 10 minutes while on jack stands. Coolant started leaking out from behind the block.

After shutting off the engine, we inspected the block and found absolutely nothing leaking. fire the car up again, and leaks started back up. Once again inpsection yield nothing. Even called Pomona Mitsu to ask them what is back there that can cause the leak ( heater core line, freeze plug, and water pump seal). Everything seems fine.

Well lowering the back on it's tires and fired it up again yield a surprising result. No coolant leaks. Even after driving home (16.5 miles under boosted condidtion), still no leaks yet. I'll check again tonight.

What do you guys think may have caused this?

I'll work on getting some pictures for you guys and possibly see if I can get a group buy for this cooler cooked up for ya'll. We'll see.

kaiser

-K-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install... [View all] , eclipsekaiser, Apr-09-02 11:51 AM
  RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., HadesOmega, Apr-09-02 01:06 PM, #1
RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., HadesOmega, Apr-09-02 04:44 PM, #2
      RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., eclipsekaiser, Apr-10-02 06:38 AM, #3
           RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., vegasdsmr, Apr-10-02 06:55 AM, #4
                RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., wes1, Apr-10-02 07:44 AM, #5
                     RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., HadesOmega, Apr-10-02 05:55 PM, #6
                          RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., eclipsekaiser, Apr-10-02 06:12 PM, #7
                               RE: Perma-Cool prototype oil cooler install..., HadesOmega, Apr-11-02 07:16 AM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #19403 Previous topic | Next topic