Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #103679
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. [Long & sad]" Previous topic | Next topic
ThePerfectShiftJun-25-09 12:02 AM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103679, "Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. "
Jun-25-09 12:05 AM by ThePerfectShift

Well, I was driving home from work when it started pouring. I was talking to my fiancee on the phone and told her I had to go because it wasn't safe to be driving while on the phone... I got five miles down the road and came up to a very broad right hand turn in a three lane road, (Nova for locals of Daytona). I recently put two new tires on the front and put the poorer of the two on the back.

Also recently my power steering belt came off so I've been muscling it for a couple days. While going around the corner the ass end swung out to the right, I calmly attempted to catch it and straighten up but my nearly bald rear tires and lack of power steering wouldn't allow it.

By the time I was spun 180* I could only attempt to get the car away from oncoming traffic and turned the wheel to the left to get the car to the right side of the road. I ended up hitting a curb which ripped my wheel off the hub, disc brakes still attached to the rim and the car was sent flying onto the sidewalk (facing the people who were just behind me). When the vehicle finally came to a painful, crashing stop all I could scream was "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!"

When I stepped out of the Eclipse, and regained my balance and got out of slow motion, I initially couldn't find my rear left wheel(not realizing it was wedged under the rear end of my car) and my intake filter was in the middle of the road. Luckily where I wrecked was a construction site. (I hit four of the wooden stakes holding up the mesh barrier)
Amazingly the body didn't take much damage at all, however the curb tore my rear suspension on both sides up pretty bad. I haven't had the chance to investigate the front suspension or oil pan, radiator, etc.

Here are the photos:

ThePerfectShift is now accepting donations: monetary or suspension parts. lol.

For now I will be driving my fiancees Grand Marquis but my homeboy is going to sell me a T-Bird he just picked up cheap so I'm gonna grab that for a grand. It's actually pretty sweet.. leather seats, power windows, keyless entry...........V8.............Working and non-leaking sunroof, ample trunk space..............V8............
Can you tell I'm excited about the extra 4 cylinders?

I will not be getting rid of the Eclipse so there will be no part-out. The T-Bird will just give me the opportunity to fix the Eclipse correctly and give me time to afford some suspension upgrades I've been wanting. No need to replace stock parts with stock parts when I want to upgrade them anyway.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. [View all] , ThePerfectShift, Jun-25-09 12:02 AM
  RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , dalesmitsu, Jun-25-09 12:36 AM, #1
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , RoninEclipse2G, Jun-25-09 10:46 AM, #2
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , Mike431635, Jun-25-09 11:22 AM, #3
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , 420agreenvilleSC, Jun-25-09 02:15 PM, #4
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , ThePerfectShift, Jun-25-09 06:33 PM, #5
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , AdministratorCODE4, Jun-25-09 11:19 PM, #6
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , AdministratorCODE4, Jun-25-09 11:20 PM, #7
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , freelancefool, Jun-25-09 11:41 PM, #8
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , ThePerfectShift, Jun-27-09 11:25 PM, #9
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , djtrickee, Jun-29-09 02:17 PM, #10
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , freelancefool, Jun-29-09 04:09 PM, #11
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , User_22, Jul-04-09 11:13 PM, #12
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , scorpo86, Jul-12-09 11:00 PM, #13
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , Moderatorcs82685, Jul-13-09 10:56 AM, #14
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , ThePerfectShift, Aug-17-09 09:54 PM, #15
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , Nightfall, Aug-18-09 03:00 PM, #16
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , Babbz413, Aug-18-09 07:58 PM, #17
RE: Hydroplaning is fun.. until you wreck. , 95baser, Sep-08-09 02:50 PM, #18

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #103679 Previous topic | Next topic