Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #13191
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hey, an update." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJeff_99gsJan-10-11 07:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13191, "Hey, an update."

I finally got myself in a situation where I could get the Talon down to LA and brought it back after Thanksgiving. So now it sits in my garage, still very broken and in need of some minor body work. I took the head off this weekend to finally figure out what broke almost 5 years ago. First though, here is a quick photo timeline of the car.

Pics:

Glory days, late summer 2001:

Launching at the DSM Shootout in 2002:

After thanksgiving on the way back to LA:

Sitting in the garage here in LA:

Christmas day pic:

And from this weekend:

So yeah, the head is toast. It makes me a little sad because I was hoping to be able to keep the factory head and block mated together, but with the new hole where a valve used to be that's not happening. Oh well. Now the hunt is on for a new head. The block seems fine, it just needs some machine work and new pistons. There is a turbo laser in a local JY with the head already unbolted, but I assume since it is still there that it might be bad too. I'll find out tomorrow.

I don't know how the valves dropped. I drove it onto the flatbed in Maryland and when it arrived in CA it had the exact same mileage (104,500 on the dot.) I would have felt better about it if I had at least been the one to blow the engine, but it happened when it was out of my hands. It will always be a mystery.

I'm planning on a mild rebuild, nothing crazy. 2g pistons, stock 91 rods, and probably some upgraded valvetrain parts. I'm going to be taking the Green off and replacing it with either the 14b I got from the JY or a new Evo3 16g. Probably the 14b since I got it super cheap and it's in perfect condition until I get the money together for the 16g.

There are three reasons for this:

#1 91 octane gas in CA sucks. I am building this for reliability and I don't want tuning for high boost on a big turbo to be a huge headache.

#2 The current wastegate setup is an o2 housing mounted 40mm TiAL external wastegate with a dump tube. It is LOUD. I don't want to never be able to go WOT around LA in fear of being pulled over by a cop because he could hear me coming from 3 miles away with his windows up.

#3 In its previous incarnation, it was a street/drag car. Having 450~ horsepower is ok when you are just trying to go fast in a straight line. This version will be geared more towards autocross and road course racing, so a smaller and faster spooling turbo will be much better suited for those purposes.

It will probably be slower than my 09 STi, but you don't see many 1st gen DSMs in good condition on the road these days and I'll just love driving a reliable(ish) DSM again.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Hey, an update. [View all] , TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-10-11 07:21 PM
  RE: Hey, an update., doughboy23, Jan-11-11 08:19 PM, #1
RE: Hey, an update., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-12-11 07:01 AM, #2
RE: Hey, an update., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-12-11 09:57 PM, #3
      RE: Hey, an update., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-16-11 01:05 PM, #4
           RE: Hey, an update., Remy, Feb-10-11 10:36 AM, #5
                RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-16-11 06:13 PM, #6
                     RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-17-11 01:56 AM, #7
                          RE: Hey, an update., nub, Jan-18-12 04:22 PM, #8
                               RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-08-12 05:14 PM, #9
                                    RE: Hey, an update., ModeratoreclipzGST, Mar-08-12 06:32 PM, #10
                                         RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Mar-09-12 01:23 PM, #11
                                              RE: Hey, an update., PinkPixi, Apr-13-12 11:20 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-14-12 04:55 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-04-13 04:02 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Hey, an update., ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-04-13 05:26 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-04-13 11:11 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Hey, an update., TeamJeff_99gs, Apr-29-13 03:32 PM, #17

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #13191 Previous topic | Next topic