Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48434
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise" Previous topic | Next topic
gingerw00ki3Jul-27-12 07:38 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2012
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48435, "RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise"
In response to In response to 0

Originally posted by Sorry_i_Win
I know very little about welding, but I'd like to teach myself how so I can weld stainless steel and aluminum someday. From what I've read, an AC/DC Tig welder is probably the way to go but I know they can get pricey. I'd rather spend a little more now and get something that will last and will work on a wider variety of materials. I know Miller and Lincoln and the brands of choice for most people but they are out of my price range. I did find this though: http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html It seems to get good reviews and is well priced at $860. This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but it seems to be worth it. Does anyone here have any experience with this welder or have any suggestions for similarly (ideally less) expensive options? My garage is already wired for 220V so that would be my preference as well. EDIT: I also found this WSE200 Welder on ebay for $650 shipped but I have no idea if it's any good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSE200-AC-DC-TIG-PULSE-WELDER-INVERTER-POWER-MOSFT-WITH-FOOT-SWITCH-PEDAL-/320951188875?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item4aba2e7d8b#ht_4931wt_1029

TIG's are the most expensive, but they do REALLY awesome work. Different metals will require different fillers, and different amp settings to control the heat. An argon mig welder is the best for body work at a low heat setting. Don't get a gasless flux mig welder because the wire they have to use is pretty big. I know of a shop that has had the same chicago electric tig welder from harbor freight ($400) for the last 4 years... and they use the hell out of it. Just get a better torch because there were a few times that the leads were too short...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise [View all] , Sorry_i_Win, Jul-26-12 04:19 PM
  RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise, gingerw00ki3, Jul-27-12 07:38 AM #1
RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise, fast420a83, Jul-27-12 09:53 PM, #2
      RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise, Sorry_i_Win, Jul-29-12 10:27 AM, #3
           RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise, fast420a83, Jul-29-12 09:04 PM, #4
                RE: Thinking about buying a tig welder... need advise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-03-12 07:36 AM, #5

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48434 Previous topic | Next topic