Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #554
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: coil-overs" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamStan2gntFeb-04-01 05:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#578, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to In response to 23

Well the springs on the front and rear coilovers might be the same size (I dont know) but they likely dont have the same spring rate so you still need fronts in front. That poses another problem with coilovers up front and conventional rear springs. You may end up with a poorly balanced set up since they weren't designed with each other in mind (the spring manufacturer may have been ride oriented while the coilover might be biased towards performance. Then you have a comparitavely soft rear and worse understeer than you started with). At least get adjustables if your going to mix and match front and rear spring manufacturers to somewhat tune to your liking. I dont think the size of the strut is the cause of the raised front end. A shorter strut typically has a shorter strut body which on a lower car increases the usable travel (in other words on a stock strut and lowering springs half the travel is taken up when you lower it. On a shortened strut, which are designed to use with shorter springs, its not compressed at lowered heights, hence the civic with TRUE Coilovers, a 3" drop and still plenty of travel and smooth ride. This cant be achieved with slip-overs and struts with nonshortened strut bodies). So a shorter strut shouldn't raise the car at all unless the perches have been moved significantly up on the strut body to achieve more height (which would defeat the purpose, then you'd have travel left in the strut but the suspension would reach full compression before all the strut travel is used up). Kybs probably raise the height due to there higher gas charged pressurization or deficit of the factory struts. My car now sits were its suppose to sit with 1.3" springs. I always wondered why my ST springs sat so much lower than Eibachs Pro-kit and much like sportslines and now I know, shitty factory struts. Whatever the case if you get coilovers you should be able to more than compensate for the slight increase in ride height caused by the struts. I wouldn't mind lowering my front a bit with slip-overs but I need to know the spring is well matched to my rear suspension before making any selection (I dont even like the way the kybs front struts ride. the rear is perfect. I've heard the same complaint of tokicos too about an overly bouncy for performance strut ride).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

COILOVERS & SHOCKS please read [View all] , cyan, Jan-28-01 02:06 PM
  RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out, cyan, Jan-28-01 03:03 PM, #1
RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out, eclipse_gs, Jan-29-01 09:24 AM, #2
hey eclipse_gs!, cyan, Jan-29-01 09:57 AM, #3
      RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 05:40 AM, #12
           RE: hey eclipse_gs!, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-01 06:01 AM, #13
                RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 07:14 AM, #14
                     RE: hey eclipse_gs!, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-01 09:30 AM, #15
                          RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 03:33 PM, #17
is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Teameclipse804, Jan-29-01 10:18 AM, #4
      RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 10:27 AM, #5
      RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 10:30 AM, #6
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Will, Jan-29-01 12:08 PM, #7
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 04:49 PM, #8
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Teameclipse804, Jan-29-01 08:06 PM, #10
                RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-30-01 01:27 AM, #11
FORGET WEAPON - R, Skrilla, Jan-29-01 05:37 PM, #9
coil-overs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-30-01 03:04 PM, #16
      RE: coil-overs, cyan, Jan-30-01 05:01 PM, #18
           RE: coil-overs, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-31-01 02:43 PM, #19
                RE: coil-overs, Teameclipse804, Jan-31-01 03:59 PM, #20
                     RE: coil-overs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Feb-01-01 12:21 AM, #21
                          RE: coil-overs, cyan, Feb-04-01 08:22 AM, #22
                               RE: coil-overs, Teameclipse804, Feb-04-01 09:45 AM, #23
                                    RE: coil-overs, TeamStan2gnt, Feb-04-01 05:17 PM #24
                                         RE: coil-overs, cyan, Feb-05-01 07:17 AM, #25

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #554 Previous topic | Next topic