Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4271
View in linear mode

Subject: "Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TNov-25-01 11:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4271, "Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions)"

I thought I'd give my own take on this, since I went ahead and did the conversion this weekend.

First off, the install. Not easy the first time you do it. The first side I did took me awhile b/c one, I was careful, and two, I didn't have everything I needed.

Some particulars:

-The OEM Disc emergency brake lines were not required. Someone noted that the fitting for the BACK of the dust shield didn't mate properly with the drum emergency brake line. They were correct. However, that fitting is only there to act as a tie-down or holder so that the spring action of the emergecy brake line is effective. Since the fitting on the drum emergency brake line is larger than the hole for the back of the dust shield, the tie-down effect is taken care of. Moveover, since the emergency brake line is so taut anyhow, there isn't a need for the fitting to act as a holder either. On the second of the two conversion (passenger side), the emergency brake line was 1/4 inch short, so I had to trim (with a drill bit) into the back of the dust shield the same amount to make it work.

- The drum brake line is female into the drum and the disc brake line into the caliper is male. That sucked. I had to go out to the parts store and finde a male-to-male small(8-12"?) japanese brake line to make it work. Wasn't easy to find on a Sunday. Advanced Auto had one though. Make sure you get the correct brake line with your conversion "kit."

- It didn't seem like my disc was perfectly straight UNTIL I mounted my wheel. Kind of irritated me at first (b/c I had them turned and cleaned), but was relieved to see it was straight after the wheel mounting.

- I made sure to grease my emergency brake "drum" well. It gets sticky and rusty at the salvage yard.

-DON'T forget to bleed the calipers. It doesn't take but four or five pumps (for each caliper) of the brake pedal to get it done, but do it. I didn't (forgot to...) and the damn brakes didn't work well. After taking off both wheels, I realized what I needed to do. After that, they worked like a charm.

-The rounded edge of the hub is supposed to mount a certain way (UP). It won't mount any other way.

-BE careful with those B-nuts, they brake easy. Luckily my victim was an expendable line (off the drum), but in the forward part of the wheel well, I knew to be careful with that one.

-And have that damn bolt ready to take off the drum cover. It was well worth having.

(summary: Don't forget to have your correct brake lines, bleeder kit, brake fluid, bolt that fits drum cover, and other assorted tools in changing out pads)

Impressions:

Awesome! The new brakes have a significant effect on braking. Really, showed how poorly drum brakes work. The car used to dive forward slightly under hard braking. Now, with the discs, there is better balance on all four corners, including brake efficiency, distance, and weight.

I thought I was doing this merely to aesthetically improve the looks of my car by subtracting those ugly rusted drums out. Au contraire. After completing the conversion, this has to be the best suspension/handlingmod to date.

I did paint the calipers black while they were awaiting install. Looks very nice.

p.s. rear OEM drums for sale! (cheap!)

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions) [View all] , TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-25-01 11:29 AM
  RE: Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions), TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-25-01 12:06 PM, #1
RE: Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions), HadesOmega, Nov-25-01 01:06 PM, #2
      RE: Drum/Disc Conversion complete (my impressions), TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-25-01 02:39 PM, #3
           glad it worked out for ya, TeamDeanoD, Nov-26-01 01:26 AM, #4
                RE: glad it worked out for ya, Kory, Nov-28-01 04:16 AM, #5

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4271 Previous topic | Next topic