Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jul-01-05 12:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27460, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to In response to 1

Originally posted by thedawg
Your front rotors warp because the stock spec and especially the OEM rotors are woefully inadequate.

I can believe this, however, didn't Hades have some good things to say about them, even after doing his super-dorifto thing down a mountain road one night? I mean, they were glowing hot and he said nothing of warpage. Well, maybe he did later, but I remember him saying he thought they were decent.

I could take a showroom new eclipse and warp its rotors in under 5 minutes.

I bet you could. You're a hard man, Dan.

Given the fact that DSMs are rather heavy, and easily capable of regular triple digit speeds, the cute little front brakes we have just don't cut it.

I would agree. I've never really had much confidence in them. Especially at those speeds.

GSX brake calipers and a Powerslot or any other larger, quality rotor would be nearly indestructible.

This is excellent news. Thank you. I just need to get the slots off the donor car here soon so I can do the swap.

Another huge factor is correct rim installation and exact, even lug torque.

"Calibrated elbow" won't cut it? Damn. I bet this is where I am fucking up (or at least not helping things).

If you have aftermarket wheels, you should always use the nylon hubcentric rings.

Where do I find these? If they are so important, why are they not included with the wheels? Conspiracy amongst the brake shops and aftermarket wheel manufacturers, perhaps?

Making sure the wheel is exactly torqued, and not crooked, is the ONLY thing that holds the rotor itself flat against the hub.

Agreed. This makes sense. I should take more care to torque properly.

The drums on the other hand will outlast your car IMO.

Then again, if you had to put a serious estimate under average conditions (as bench racing-like as it may be), what kind of lifespan would you estimate? 200k? 250k? More? I certainly hope to have discs back there before 200k.

The drum shoes last a long ass time. Knowing this, most places like Midas will not actually open up the drums and inspect the shoes.

Lazy bastards. It's not like we're going to have them actually do the work, so why not?

Mine have squealed since the car was brand new and I've had 3 different dealerships tell me they have 90% life left and are in perfect operation. (The squealing was part of the design, im sure, right? ) I've gone completely through 3 sets of front pads, and 3 sets of front rotors, yet never even used up a quarter of the drum shoes.

I've gone through numerous front pads and rotors. I've honestly lost count. Like I said, this has been the bane of my existance for years.

Thanks for the comments, Dan. Appreciate it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?) [View all] , TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 08:26 AM
  RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-01-05 11:19 AM, #1
RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 12:36 PM #2
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), kain_99gs, Jul-01-05 10:20 PM, #3
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-02-05 05:20 AM, #4
           RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Teametx, Jul-03-05 10:37 AM, #5
                RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-03-05 04:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-04-05 06:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-04-05 12:33 PM, #8
                               RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-05-05 10:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), CarbonFiberRST, Jul-05-05 11:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 12:09 PM, #11
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-05-05 12:25 PM, #12
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-05-05 01:34 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 01:54 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-05-05 02:41 PM, #15
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), MCubed45, Jul-06-05 01:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), silverarrow, Jul-06-05 03:46 PM, #24
      rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-05-05 06:46 PM, #16
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, TeamDR1665, Jul-06-05 06:21 AM, #17
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 09:58 AM, #18
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 12:08 PM, #20
                     RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 02:13 PM, #23
                          RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 05:52 PM, #25
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, CarbonFiberRST, Jul-06-05 11:45 AM, #19
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 01:42 PM, #22

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455 Previous topic | Next topic