Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #2152
View in linear mode

Subject: "YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long)" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanMay-07-01 02:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2152, "YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long)"

well, i think i can call myself a suspension guru after the shit ive been through with mine in the last 2 months. this may get long but what ive done today is create a coilover suspension, capable of 2-5 inches of drop with the same exact ride quality of PRO-KITS!!! (or any other mild street drop spring). well here is a brief history of how i came to this, if you think you may wanna do this read on, i guess it did cost me a grip of cash but it was worth it.
starting abot 2 months ago here is the history of my suspension setups:
1 - 2 inch drop on all four corners on progress springs
2 - progress springs in rear, 3" drop on cut sprint springs in front
3 - progress springs in rear, 2.5" drop on maxspeed coilovers in front
4 - maxspeed coilovers on all four corners
5 - progress springs in rear (again), 4" drop on focuz coilovers in front
6 - focuz coilovers on all four corners
7 - focuz coilovers in front, 4" drop on cut tenzo-R srpings in rear (when the rear allen screws stripped and fell out of the focuz rear collars, pieces of shit!)
8 - (yesterday) tenzo springs still in rear, front and rear focuz springs stacked on top of each other in front, resting on the lower fork mounting point rather than on the spring perches. (to clarify: this is 2 springs, the fronts and the rears, both mounted in front, totalling 12" in spring length, but resting 7 inches lower on the strut, resulting in 5" of drop, and a shitload of bouncing)
9 - the bouncing had to go, so the focuz were put back on in their intended fashion with one main spring and one helper spring. the rear remained the same.
10 - FINALLY - the solution i was looking for! i took out the good ole' progress 2" drop springs, uncut, out of the closet and here is what i did as best i can explain it. (the rear remains the same for now) i took out the front suspension again (gotta be the 30th time at least). i took the collars from the focuz coilovers that are still usable and slid them on the bottom of the strut. resting on the ajustable collars at the bottom are the original helper springs from the focuz coilovers. on top of the helper springs is where the progress came into play. it resulted in the same height suspension as the stacked focuz springs, but without the bounce. so my car is now dropped its final time, 5 inches, tucking exactly half of the nitto sidewalls and looking beautiful. like whoa! it looks nice. though i do get some rubbing in turns and it hasnt settled yet, but the beautiful thing is i have the collars in there so i can raise it up if i still need to. and the other thing is i have uncut springs in there resulting in a perfect ride. the only downside is lack of suspension travel. keep in mind this is all on stock struts that have about 40,ooo miles on them so far, so everyone who says "stock struts will blow in a month if lowered" can refer to me next time someone asks. i am gonna replace them with either koni yellows ot tokico blues soon though. i will have pictures asap, but knowing me it will be 2 weeks probably. if anyone out there was looking for the perfect suspension setup to drop more than 3" like most coilovers offer, this is it, but i had to go through 4 sets of springs and 2 coilover sets to get it. if anyone has any questions let me know.

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long) [View all] , cyan, May-07-01 02:58 PM
  RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), trickedeclipse, May-07-01 03:55 PM, #1
RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), cyan, May-07-01 04:26 PM, #2
      RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), Sabot, May-08-01 04:17 AM, #3
           RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), cyan, May-08-01 11:09 AM, #4
                RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), 99GSBBTurbo, May-08-01 03:39 PM, #5
                     RE: YO ADRIAN....I did it!!! (extremely long), cyan, May-09-01 07:22 AM, #6

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #2152 Previous topic | Next topic