Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #691
View in linear mode

Subject: "2GNT.com | Steering Committee?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Apr-08-06 12:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#691, "2GNT.com | Steering Committee?"

I got this idea while replying to Terry's post in the Pits. It's just an idea, but take a read and see what you think...

It seems to me that 2GNT.com is just there. We have the knowledge, the experience, and the sheer numbers to stand as the premiere second generation, non-turbo DSM source of tech and community. Aside from that, it seems like we might have minimal direction.

This site was originally founded to give the 2GNT DSM people a place to hang out and talk about things. Okay. Done. Now what?

As a point of reference, DSMTuners is a partial sponsor of the DSM Shootout each year in Ohio. They also sponsor a couple of DSM owners who race their cars by paying their entry fees in exchange for articles detailing what they do at the track. Neons.org has started up its own online radio program where they invite prominent members of the community (owners and vendors) to actually talk to the community.

Are these sites better than 2GNT because of these things? Not at all, but they are nice touches that help get their names out there and attract both membership and advertising dollars.

There are vendors who buy advertising and members who donate in the intersest of bankrolling this place (and believe me, it's worth it). There are members who volunteer their valuable time to maintain 2GNT - admin that manages technical support and moderators who keep order.

My question is, who has the time to get a game plan together to move this place forward into the future? With all the new cars coming out, vendors are going to be looking to develop more products for them than us. It's almost like a life cycle of sorts - In the beginning, people had to make their own mods, now there are plenty, but in time, parts will become scarce, as vendors won't make as many, if any at all, for this aging platform.

I feel that it would be a good idea to set up something of a steering committee for 2GNT. Pick a handful of active members who are known to be dedicated to the community and charge them with coming up with something of a marketing plan for 2GNT.com. These people would not need any moderator powers. They would just need to be business savy, clever, and possess a strong desire to harness the power of 2GNT.com to push the community into the public eye, pull the quality members and money in, and maintain a quality community that's not going to stagnate for a long time.

I don't see that there is anything currently wrong with this place, but I think it might be a good idea to start thinking about the future of 2GNT.com to be sure we continue to grow. We've got a kick ass place to hang out where we can find answers to all the questions we'll ever have to ask, so let's do something big with it.

I'd, personally, be willing to donate a lot of time to making something like this happen. I would even go so far as to recruit others to help out. 2GNT.com is huge now. I joined something like three years ago. Since then, nearly 7,000 new members have joined our ranks. We should be coming up with ways to yoke the strength of that kind of membership base.

Rather than just having one of our members make decals in his spare time, or another member selling 2GNT schwag on his CafePress site, how about coming up with a way to make Jeff's 2GNT shirts and Matt's DSM hats available, alongside the decals and existing stuff, all the time? Every sale brings money in the door and puts our logo on a person walking down the street.

People say we drive Neons with DSM body kits. Why not start up talks with the Neon community to join forces or something? They're running nasty cams, individual throttle bodies, 2.4L swaps, and 13s all motor. They are just as serious about their cars are we are and we share a LOT of vendors.

We could have our own "Shootout." Turbo DSMs could come too. We don't hate. We could have an event in Kansas, of all places. It would be a two day drive for any 2GNT/DSM owner.

Shootout aside, what about quarterly, regional events? You could have a 2GNT/DSM/Neon event every three months - one in the SW, the NW, the NE, and SE corners of the country. They could be held on weekends and would be no more than a day's drive from anyone in the region.

The 420A is made by Chrysler. Chrysler is a MOPAR brand. Why not start up talks with MOPAR communities like Allpar to share tech and members? What about a MOPAR WebRing? Someday, we might very well see a Hemi-powered, RWD 2GNT!

I know this was a long post, but I also know there are people, like me, who want the rest of the car enthusiast community to be familiar with the 2GNT name who will read this and think, "Hey. That's actually a good idea!" I know I'm not the only one who sees this place as more than just a technical resource or website. To some of us, this place is home. This place is family. This place is downright fucking inspirational. A lot of who we are today is due to membership and participation in this community. I'd like to give something back, now. I'd like to get other people with the same mindset to join me in giving back in a big way. We've got members from all manner of professional backgrounds here. I say we tap our resources and call in some favors in the interest of getting the attention and respect we, as enthusiasts, deserve.

Just a thought.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

2GNT.com | Steering Committee? [View all] , TeamDR1665, Apr-08-06 12:23 PM
  RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Chris97RS, Apr-08-06 01:27 PM, #1
RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-10-06 04:15 AM, #2
      RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, TeamDR1665, Apr-10-06 05:01 AM, #3
           RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, GSGoinFast, Apr-11-06 06:20 AM, #4
                RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Chris97RS, Apr-11-06 01:36 PM, #5
                     RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-12-06 08:11 AM, #6
                     RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, TeamDR1665, Apr-12-06 09:03 AM, #7
                          RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, djtrickee, Apr-12-06 11:28 AM, #8
                     RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, cc8balla, Apr-13-06 01:13 PM, #9
                          RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Chamuko, Apr-14-06 04:08 PM, #10
                               RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Diceman19, Apr-17-06 03:55 PM, #11
                                    RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, GSGoinFast, Apr-17-06 05:15 PM, #12
                                         RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Diceman19, Apr-17-06 07:19 PM, #13
                                              RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, djtrickee, Apr-17-06 07:47 PM, #14
                                                   RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, GSGoinFast, Apr-18-06 07:17 AM, #15
                                                        RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, TeamDR1665, Apr-18-06 07:22 AM, #16
                                                             RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, Diceman19, Apr-18-06 10:17 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: 2GNT.com | Steering Committee?, XMasta19, Apr-26-06 04:47 PM, #18

Top Team 2GNT Community 2GNT Site/Forum Questions topic #691 Previous topic | Next topic