Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #71925
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: 420a rebuild planning" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Apr-02-04 08:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#71985, "RE: 420a rebuild planning"
In response to In response to 6

Originally posted by project98rs
Thanx for the welcome.

No problem man.

Good to be here with people who know what they are talking about and like what they do. Hope to be around for a while.

Ditto and Ditto imo.

Shifting is a little rough in low gears and it is running tough at idle (not to meantion the horrible squealing sound of my drive belt) with an occasional drop in idle speed to the point it almost dies.

You might check the plugs out. The previous owner may not have been too mechanically inclined and they're just worn out. Other common problems with idle can be traced to a vac leak somewhere (although that usually leads to a higher idle) or a dirty IAC. Sounds like some more digging around is needed.

One oil leak is from the cam sensor (I believe) and another appears to be caused by the head gasket.

That cam sensor is great isn't it? Mine wasn't leaking before the rebuid so I lost the new gasket I had for it. Guess where I'm losing most of the oil right now. That same place. The head gaskets are notorious for failing in the driver's side back corner. You can grind down the head bolt there a bit, but you'd have to search arounf some more to find specifics since I don't really recall all the details of why and how. Make sure you get the MLS gasket when you rebuild. It's the standard now.

I'm guessing from all the recommendation that howellautomotive.com is a good place to get what I need.

They hardly ever fuck up. Just playing with ya. They're one of the big dogs when it comes to 420A building/tuning. Been doing business with 2GNTers for a while. For your stock parts from the dealer, you'll want to find Bob Kise's number. He hooks 2GNTers up with service and pricing.

So far I have this much in mind: - 2.0 Performance Bottom End Kit or the Bottom End Long Rod Kit are there other things I would have to do to my engine if I got the long rod kit?

I'm not sure about that one. I know it's been called the high-rpm "screamer" so that would mean extensive head mods to handle the higher revs. Might be out of the budget man.

What will be the difference between 8.6 and 10.5 compression, espically if I want to get a turbo down the road? I want to go with a .020 over-bore...

Stock 2GNT CR is 9.6:1. If you change 1 point (and this is old news man) you change HP by roughly 4%. 10.6 would gain 4%, 8.6 would lose 4%. The higher your CR is, the closer you would be to detonation with forced induction. If you like to boost it and go, you can lower the CR for a greater safety margin, but both will require tuning. There's no way around that. Finally, the .020" bore is just to make sure the cylinder walls are clean and true for the new rings. Not much more than that.

how much will it cost to get that done and what else, if anything, would I need to change do if I over-bored?

You're looking at around $1500 imo for the rebuild alone, including parts and machining. So...

GS-T exhaust - AFX UDP - ARP Head Stud Kit - Iceman CAI ...could that be done under 2 grand including any machining? The CAI and exhaust can wait a paycheck or 3. All in all, is this a step in the right direction? Am I missing anything important that should be done before something else?

You would be pretty close to, if not, just over your budget going this route. Personally, I would skip on the ARP studs (~$200) and the Iceman for starters. You can hack your factory airbox as a free mod or pick up an eBay shit ram if you really need one. The GST exhaust is a popular mod and good for up to ~300hp I think. Just spend some more time in the search and hang out a bit longer and you'll get the hang of things for sure man. I've barely been here a year and a half (has it been that long already?) and I've already got almost 11k on my rebuilt bottom end with minimal fuck ups showing. You can do it.

Oh and 2GNT owns you now...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

420a rebuild planning [View all] , project98rs, Apr-01-04 03:29 PM
  RE: 420a rebuild planning, jsupetran, Apr-01-04 03:56 PM, #1
RE: 420a rebuild planning, project98rs, Apr-01-04 05:32 PM, #2
      RE: 420a rebuild planning, siueclipse, Apr-01-04 07:18 PM, #3
           RE: 420a rebuild planning, project98rs, Apr-01-04 09:10 PM, #4
                RE: 420a rebuild planning, TeamDR1665, Apr-02-04 06:15 AM, #5
                     RE: 420a rebuild planning, project98rs, Apr-02-04 07:24 AM, #6
                          RE: 420a rebuild planning, TeamDR1665, Apr-02-04 08:20 AM #7
                               RE: 420a rebuild planning, enhance, Apr-02-04 11:52 AM, #8
                                    RE: 420a rebuild planning, 1996BlackGSnt, Aug-31-08 10:13 PM, #9
                                         RE: 420a rebuild planning, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-31-08 11:04 PM, #10

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #71925 Previous topic | Next topic