Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138604
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
JJun-07-15 04:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138604, "New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?"

Just installed a new clutch and new axle seals in my existing/good manual tranny with my existing/good axles, and refilled the fluid using the side hole as normal... and as I'm reconnecting everything, I notice that my axle seals on both sides are seeping transmission fluid.

1.) the axles both 'popped' into the transmission, and do not come out (both sides)
2.) both inner joints of axles do wiggle aka 'pop in and out' of the transmission about 1/8" ~ 1/4"
3.) both axles are locked in, and don't actually pop out unless I use a pry bar
4.) the axle seals are seated all the way in the transmission using a block of wood while the transmission was out
5.) I put a tiny bit of grease on the inside of the seals where the axle goes through

What am I doing wrong? Are the axles not in all the way? Is there or is there not supposed to be in-and-out play? Should I take the cross member / control arms / tie rods off again to completely remove axles from transmission and try at a different rotation?

It's been nearly 10x years since I've had to replace a transmission (this would be my 3rd or 4th time though), and these leaking @%$^@!%$#& axle seals are pissing me off... help?????

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

New Axle Seals leaking... help?!? [View all] , J, Jun-07-15 04:54 PM
  RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-08-15 01:34 PM, #1
RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, ez, Jun-08-15 08:46 PM, #2
      RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, J, Jun-09-15 09:23 AM, #3
           RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, J, Jun-15-15 08:06 AM, #4
                RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-15-15 12:02 PM, #5
                     RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, ez, Jun-15-15 08:40 PM, #6
                          RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, J, Jun-16-15 08:03 AM, #7
                               RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, ez, Jul-01-15 01:10 AM, #8
                                    RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, J, Jul-02-15 12:05 PM, #9
                                         RE: New Axle Seals leaking... help?!?, ez, Jul-03-15 10:35 AM, #10

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138604 Previous topic | Next topic