Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138379
View in linear mode

Subject: "Leaking coolant" Previous topic | Next topic
jazzkeysMay-21-14 11:04 AM
Member since Jan 17th 2008
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138379, "Leaking coolant"

Howdy, y'all,

I noticed that the coolant level in the reservoir had dropped, so I looked for a leak. All hose connections looked dry, so I used my pressure tester on a cold engine to check again. Pressure remained at 15 psi and only slowly fell after about 10 minutes to about 10 psi. H-m-m; slow leak somewhere else?

I topped up the reservoir and drove a few miles. I left a piece of cardboard under the car overnite, and noticed a puddle the next morning. I jacked up the car, removed the front right wheel and splash panel. Sure enough, I saw that the coolant pipe behind the exhaust and the oil pan were stained.

Looks like the water pump is leaking, but I'm surprised because I replaced it when I replaced the head gasket at 95K miles. Now at <170K, I'm not happy that an aftermarket Bosch water pump should fail at 75K. I inspected the timing belt, but it looks dry, though it makes sense that any leaking coolant would be flung off.

Also noticed that once the reservoir is empty and the radiator coolant level has also dropped, that the leak rate is much slower. Is this a case of the coolant level in the system dropping below the level of the pump?

Only way to know for certain is to disassemble the timing belt and check the pump. I don't plan keep the Eclipse much longer (has a few dents and paint is faded), so is there a risk in not replacing the timing belt (due in 25K miles) and pulleys while after I disassembled everything? Probably will replace the accessory belts as they're not expensive.

Any other tips about this project? Thanks much.

Andy in The OC.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (built 7/1995)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Leaking coolant [View all] , jazzkeys, May-21-14 11:04 AM
  RE: Leaking coolant, ez, May-21-14 11:59 PM, #1
RE: Leaking coolant, jazzkeys, May-22-14 01:25 PM, #2
RE: Leaking coolant, jazzkeys, May-22-14 04:28 PM, #3
RE: Leaking coolant, jazzkeys, May-31-14 02:59 PM, #4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138379 Previous topic | Next topic