Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138358
View in linear mode

Subject: "420A Head Job (sorta) Conundrum (maybe)" Previous topic | Next topic
97 Talon HackMay-03-14 03:23 PM
Member since May 03rd 2014
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138358, "420A Head Job (sorta) Conundrum (maybe)"
May-03-14 03:24 PM by 97 Talon Hack

Had a couple of bent valves (water pump went and took out T belt). Installed new valves and lapped valve seats. Cleaned and reinstalled everything (except external bearing caps). Rotated the Cam a few times with Ratchet on cam sprockets and watched what valves were doing. When the cam is in the non-loaded position the prior activated valves are still open just a little bit and the ones that are to open next are also open just a little bit. As I begin to apply load, the prior activated valves close tight and the appropriate valves continue to fully open but don't completely close as I continue to the non-loaded position; however the ones that are to open next are also open just a little bit. This sequence of events is the same for all 4 of the cyl head positions for both intake and exhaust. Is this normal or is something hosed up in my head (420A's and Curt's)? BTW, installed valve height (cyl head to top of valve stem) is in spec. I did, disassemble, clean and reassemble hyd lifters (although I've decided to buy new ones as the lifter plunger action seems to be to variable - some are quite squishy). That said, I wouldn't think lame lifers would cause this phenom, but 1st partial rebuild of a head, so what do I know - just following the Haynes manual...

Any sage guidance from the community would be appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138358 Previous topic | Next topic