Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1308
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is this article true?" Previous topic | Next topic
jltucsonApr-26-01 03:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1308, "Is this article true?"

This artice was posted about the 95 Eclipse/Talon/Neon non turbo.

It says a TPS and no O-ring is responsible for bad idling etc and power shutoff. I have a '95, with the same problem. But tell me has anyone had experiance with this article and replacing what it says to replace and seeing it work?

- Erratic Idle

A) Erratic Idle -Service Slant
I have just received my latest Motor's Book for February and I thought the list would be very interested in a few articles in it. I am sending this because I know for a fact that there is a problem here. I have replaced a TPS on both My Talon and on my Brother in law's Neon, both in the past 3 days. Both have the Chrysler 2.0 L engine (mine the DOHC and the Neon has the SOHC). This is for the 1995/96 NT Talon ESi and base Eclipse. Also ALL 95/96 Neons.
ERRATIC IDLE
Some 1995-96 Eclipse models built before 11/1/95 with the 2 liter DOHC 4 banger may suffer from an erratic idle, a loss of power and an illuminated MIL.(Engine Light). You may find a DTC26 (or 24 or 25) which is for low throttle position sensor voltage stored in the memory. And if you do actually find a bad TPS, check the throttle bore part number first. It's embossed right up on top so it shouldn't be hard to see.
If the part number is M04669032, you'r looking at a throttle bore that was manufactured without a TPS O-ring seal to prevent moisture contamination. So that throttle bore has to go. Install a fresh and updated version (Part No M04669860) with a new gasket (Part No M04669034). Note that the new bore comes with a fresh TPS already installed, so you don't have to worry about ordering one seperately.
If the throttle bore on the car is the correct updated version, however you'll have to order up a new TPS and O-ring (Part No M04874430) to complete the repair. Before installing the new TPS with its new screws, slightly lubricate the O-RING with some vegetable oil and insert it into the throttle bore grove. Don't stick the O-ring over the end of the TPS; it may get pinched when you tighten down the sensor.
NOTE: Mitsubishi warns NOT to coat the O-ring with engine oil, because it wont lubricate properly.

This is from the February 1999 Motor Service Slants Page 84.

I hope this helps anyone who has or will have any problem. As I said, I have had the problem. You can buy the TPS (with the O-Ring) at Carquest. They may be hard to find but can be ordered. It is a STANDARD part and is part # EC TH141. This is the upgraded version. (Rich Benner, Jr Feb 23, 1999)

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Is this article true? [View all] , jltucson, Apr-26-01 03:25 PM
  RE: Is this article true?, DSMLVR, Apr-26-01 11:01 PM, #1
RE: Is this article true?, DSMLVR, Apr-26-01 11:02 PM, #2
RE: Is this article true?, jltucson, Apr-27-01 05:28 AM, #3
      RE: Is this article true?, 95ESi, Apr-27-01 07:57 AM, #4
      RE: Is this article true?, DSMLVR, Apr-27-01 11:11 PM, #5
      RE: Is this article true?, DSMLVR, Apr-27-01 11:21 PM, #6
           RE: Is this article true?, klipzracer, Apr-28-01 05:58 AM, #7
                RE: Is this article true?, DSMLVR, Apr-29-01 09:46 PM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #1308 Previous topic | Next topic