Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127232
View in threaded mode

Subject: "P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off." Previous topic | Next topic
WIDECLIPSEAug-14-09 08:41 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127232, "P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off."
Aug-14-09 08:42 AM by WIDECLIPSE

P1494 LDP switch/ mechanical fault.

This is straight from the service manual.

Description

Immediately after cold engine start-up (if all Leak Detection Test enabling conditions listed), the PCM detects the LDP switch status. Under normal operation, the LDP switch is initially on, and the PCM turns the LDP solenoid on and the LDP diaphragm is pulled up by engine vacuum, causing the LDP switch to turn off.

+If the PCM detects that the LDP switch was initially off, it could be due to a failed LDP switch or an open circuit. If the system was sufficiently purged, the PCM then sets DTC 184. However, insufficient EVAP system purge on the previous drive cycle can allow residual pressure to remain in the system and hold the LDP diaphragm up and hold the switch off. DTC 184 will not set if the system was not sufficiently purged.

+If the PCM detects that the LDP switch was initially on and does not turn off within 2.1 seconds of the solenoid turning on, the PCM sets a "fault". If this occurs in two consecutive cold start-ups when all Leak Detection Test enabling conditions are met, DTC 184 will set.

DTC 184 can be set under any of the following conditions:
Insufficient vacuum supply to the LDP
LDP internal mechanical malfunction
LDP switch malfunction
LDP switch circuit or PCM malfunction

I have a late 98 model with the LDP being in the back by the tank. I have replaced the LDP with a brand new one. MY problem is probably the second point listed because the CEL does not come on immediately. It only comes on after the second consecutive cold start-up. This makes me think that there is a vacuum leak somewhere and it's causing the diaphragm in the LDP to not be pulled up therefore not turning the switch off. The big hoses connected to the LDP all looked fine. Connector going to the LDP is fine.

Is there any other place I can look for vacuum leaks associated with this? Could there possibly be something else going on that I'm missing?

-Roman

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off. [View all] , WIDECLIPSE, Aug-14-09 08:41 AM
  RE: P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off., Ebster1085, Aug-17-09 06:11 AM, #1
RE: P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off., WIDECLIPSE, Aug-17-09 04:28 PM, #2
RE: P1494 - Can't figure it out. Need the light off., Ebster1085, Aug-17-09 06:16 PM, #3

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127232 Previous topic | Next topic