Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #108986
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightHawk434thJun-15-08 05:44 PM
Member since May 14th 2007
149 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108986, "Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*"

Ok here is the deal. I had noise problems before and fixed them (they were all exhaust related) and my car has been running really well for the last few months. Had an idle prob and fixed that but other than that error free. Well today I was sitting at one of the local pizza joints in the parking lot and I heard a clicking coming from my engine. Usually happened in bursts of 3 or 4 with a slight pause in between. I limp my car home and pop my hood to attempt to find where the noise is coming from. Out of instinct, checked my oil and was a quart low, so I added some and the problem still there. The noise was coming from around the exhaust side of cylinder one and/or the cam gears up in the head. First thought...rocker slipped or is loose because in addition to the clicking, there is a swooshing noise that is pulsed. Well I call up a buddy to double-check my thoughts and he agreed so I took my car around back and took off the valve cover. Everything is tight and checked out fine, rotated the cams a bit and everything looked ok so I'm stumped.

Recap: a bursted clicking noise in the head around cylinder one/cam gears, pulsing swooshing noise in the same area and everything passed the visual test.

Please don't tell me I bent a valve...that is the only other logical thing I can think of besides a worn out part in the timing assembly. Maybe it's timing related since my gears make a whining noise when driving and just driving like that wore something out. I don't know, any ideas?

-Ben
Black 1999 RS

Basic mods and a South Bend OFE-SS Clutch
~150bhp.....for now!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh* [View all] , KnightHawk434th, Jun-15-08 05:44 PM
  RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-16-08 05:52 AM, #1
RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, KnightHawk434th, Jun-16-08 06:48 AM, #2
      RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-16-08 07:27 AM, #3
      RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-16-08 07:56 AM, #4
RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, falling-debris, Jun-16-08 08:19 AM, #5
RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, justins71, Jun-16-08 10:12 AM, #6
RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-16-08 10:12 AM, #7
      RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, KnightHawk434th, Jun-16-08 05:13 PM, #8
           RE: Yet another noise puzzle... *sigh*, KnightHawk434th, Jun-18-08 11:24 AM, #9

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #108986 Previous topic | Next topic