Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #101604
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems after rebuild... maybe timing?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseGS45150Oct-27-06 08:02 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2006
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#101604, "Problems after rebuild... maybe timing?"

I recently rebuilt my 420a eclipse and now Im having a problem starting it and keeping it running. I have a stock block with Wiseco 10.5:1 High compression pistons, Eagle HBeam rods, head is completely stock. I also have a 195lph fuel pump, high flow fuel rail, the head was fine before the rebuild so it should be now. I have everything back in the car and wanted to start it to make sure timing was right before I put the last mount in (motor is supported by a stand). Upon speaking to a performance shop about my problems, I am getting a msd ignition coil, ngk cold plugs, and wires. When the motor turns over it is hell to start, its cranking but doesnt want to start. After giving it gas it sometimes starts or backfires, then will either idle rough for a little bit or jus stall out. I have smoke coming out of the exhaust that smells of gas when it does run. I believe its a timing issue besides the ignition stuff Im upgrading, but dont know what to do with the timing whether to advance, retard, or leave it at stock tdc. Right now the intake is one tooth advanced and it was harder to start then what Ive seen but it idled a lot better. Any advice on what to do, or what to do after the ignition stuff is installed would be greatly appreciated, Ive been working on the timing alone for about three days straight now and want it to be perfect. I would like to advance it if there would be a gain on ease of start or horsepower. Please let me know Im desperate!

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Kevin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Problems after rebuild... maybe timing? [View all] , EclipseGS45150, Oct-27-06 08:02 AM
  RE: Problems after rebuild... maybe timing?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-27-06 08:35 AM, #1
RE: Problems after rebuild... maybe timing?, EclipseGS45150, Oct-27-06 08:48 AM, #2

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #101604 Previous topic | Next topic