Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4510
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Talon 97 TCU" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Sep-18-06 07:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4518, "RE: Talon 97 TCU"
In response to In response to 7

Originally posted by cougar694u
I don't understand the negativity you guys always use. If no one ever took apart a motor, we wouldn't have upgrade components for them. If no one ever took apart our ECU, we wouldn't have the AF/X. If no one tried to sailed around the world, we'd still think it's flat. We used to be the center of the solar system, too.

Hey now. I admire the sirit of exploration, but there's a difference between tearing into a motor and tearing into a perfectly functional TCU. For starters, people have been rebuilding motors for a hundred years or more, now. There really are no surpises in there. Is there a risk that you might break something and have to repair it prior to reinstallation? Of course, but you're talking about something the average shade tree mechanic with an eighth grade education can do. Electronics repair on this level is not exactly common knowledge.

1. The A604 isn't exactly known for being a performance transmission. It's designed to get people who either can not or choose not to shift a manual from point A to point B smoothly. Aside from one guy on this site, who dumped something like $3,000 or more worth of hard parts into his transmission, no one here sees the tranny as being much beyond a hinderance to performance. If you have an ATX, you're at a distinct disadvantage. I know this sounds like the 4G63 guys bashing us for bothering to try with a 420A, but the vast majority of the guys on this site concerned with making real power are ditching this tranny for the manual. It's not popular.

2. Mr. Unfazed neglected to mention his credentials as a technician who stands capable of dissecting the TCU without hamfisted shenanigans. My position was one of a person anticipating a novice pulling apart something that looked "cool" and then selling his car to the scrap yard because he fubared it all up. My first parts car was a 95 ESi ATX that, before my purchase, was owned by one jackoff who thought he could figure out a way to pass emissions by circumventing the ECU. Essentially, you fuck up the electrical system on one of these cars and you render the entire thing a parts car that will never run again. I simply intended to mention the extreme risk to attempting to fix something that "ain't broke."

3. As for RadioHack bits, I guess they're alright. I don't tend to get into the specifics of mil-spec tolerance'd resistor this and cap that. I may not be a technician on a PCB level, but I'm fairly confident that changing a couple resistors or caps here and there isn't going to do much beyond restoring the A604 to "good as new" performance, which is, in my opinion, if you're looking for real performance, something you should be removing. I would swap in the NV-T350 and then tear into the TCU to see if you can deceipher it's secrets in the interest of helping the ATX guys out.

Basically, if you can figure something out, Unfazer, kudos to you for continuing in the steps of our founders, but without knowing your technical background, you can understand why I might be quick to attempt to discourage a newbie from permanently disabling his car.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Talon 97 TCU [View all] , igounfazed, Sep-12-06 06:36 AM
  RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-12-06 12:32 PM, #1
Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-14-06 06:33 AM, #2
      RE: Talon 97 TCU, TeamDR1665, Sep-14-06 06:54 AM, #3
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-14-06 03:35 PM, #4
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, turbo8u, Sep-14-06 03:49 PM, #5
           RE: Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-18-06 02:46 AM, #6
                RE: Talon 97 TCU, cougar694u, Sep-18-06 06:21 AM, #7
                     RE: Talon 97 TCU, TeamDR1665, Sep-18-06 07:48 AM #8
                          RE: Talon 97 TCU, Chamuko, Sep-18-06 08:24 AM, #9
                          RE: Talon 97 TCU, cougar694u, Sep-19-06 02:26 AM, #12
RE: Talon 97 TCU, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-18-06 09:01 AM, #10
RE: Talon 97 TCU, thedawg, Sep-18-06 12:43 PM, #11
      RE: Talon 97 TCU, igounfazed, Sep-19-06 03:11 PM, #13

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4510 Previous topic | Next topic