Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4346
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Would this fit in our Auto trans" Previous topic | Next topic
ZardozJan-07-08 12:49 PM
Member since Nov 12th 2007
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4347, "RE: Would this fit in our Auto trans"
In response to In response to 0
Jan-07-08 01:00 PM by Zardoz

I know it's semantics for some, but technically an automatic transmission uses a flexplate and a manual transmission uses a flywheel. But I hear people call flexplates flywheels all the time. It's not that big of deal to me, but it can get confusing that way.

The difference is that the flexplate is just a thin piece of metal (compared to it's flywheel counter-part) that serves to connect the crankshaft to the torque converter and hold the gear the starter engages to start the car. Whereas a flywheel is much thicker and not only does it have the gear teeth for the starter (like the flexplate) but it has a surface that the clutch contacts when you release the clutch pedal. It works in a similar fashion to disk brakes, with the flywheel being like the rotor and the clutch being like the break pads.

I hope that helps!

Edit:

Here's a flexplate:

Here's a flywheel:

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Would this fit in our Auto trans [View all] , dalesmitsu, Jan-05-08 11:02 PM
  RE: Would this fit in our Auto trans, Zardoz, Jan-07-08 12:49 PM #1
RE: Would this fit in our Auto trans, InFiNiT3, Jan-10-08 09:05 PM, #2

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4346 Previous topic | Next topic