Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4095
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Burning smell when driving???" Previous topic | Next topic
Keith2172Jun-19-06 07:19 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4096, "RE: Burning smell when driving???"
In response to In response to 0

Originally posted by TRELEE
Ok when have this burning smell from my car and I dont know what it is but I think its the transmission, has anyone else had this happen to them and what can I do to stop this???

Ok, first off; grammar. I’m not even sure exactly what you are trying to ask. I believe that you smell smoke or something burning while you are driving and you think it’s the transmission. If this is the case then you have a few places to start looking.

First check the trans. fluid dipstick to see if the fluid looks burnt or is clean. You should be able to smell a slight burned oil smell if there is something wrong in the tranny.

Second, check for traces of oil leaks, especially around the exhaust manifold/pipe, if you are smelling burning oil and it’s burning externally, it’s probably hitting the exhaust manifold/pipe. This will appear on the manifold/pipe as a burned black carbon deposit. This includes trans fluid, engine oil, power steering fluid, etc. It could be anywhere.

Third is to check wires, especially ones near the block and exhaust (this means that f@#ing EGR pipe). If you’re smelling burning but can’t verify that it is burning oil, it might be the plastic sheathing on the wires, and that would be bad.

Lastly, if you don’t turn up anything there, check the whole length of your exhaust pipe. I let my girlfriend drive my car around while I was laid up from surgery, when I got it back; the thing reeked of burning plastic. Turns out she ran over a plastic shopping bag and the damn thing melted to my cat. It stunk like that for a month till I drove down to Palm Springs and finally burned it all the way off. Stupid little shit happens. Good luck.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Burning smell when driving??? [View all] , TRELEE, Jun-17-06 11:26 AM
  RE: Burning smell when driving???, Keith2172, Jun-19-06 07:19 AM #1

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4095 Previous topic | Next topic